• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skout Skout EPOCH .25 (Full Review) Video

20230918_112853.jpg

Hey guys. While I was waiting about 2 years for this gun to come out, I was sceptical that Skout Airguns could possibly deliver a gun as good as they claimed it would be. After all, high end electronic guns in the past have failed to "hit the mark". But I am happy to report that the Skout EPOCH is indeed everything they said it would be. This thing is awesome. It's super easy to use, pretty much bullet proof, battery life will NOT be an issue (Lithium Ion), it's Multi-Caliber, the power is unmatched, highly adjustable, SUPER accurate (0% flyers), and alot more. I think you will see the Skout Airguns EPOCH winning some of the big contests soon. Thanks for watching! -Nate

20230918_111719.jpg

Last edited:
Just saw the video, you didn't answer the most important question (to me). I've asked it several times but gotten both a yes and a no answer.

Question: When you fire the last round in the magazine does it spin?
Since it's a hand winder you can spin several times this means there is no stop like on most magazines I've seen. Since there is no stop does the internals of the mag spin once the last shot is fired?

Edit:
2nd question.
I had a look at the link in the video and it lists the price as $2350.
Description says it comes with 3 barrels.

The original Skout was around $3600 and came with 3 barrels. Their facebook said they would release a cheaper version without the 2 extra barrels?
So are the extra barrels in this one different? Are they more like liners instead of barrels?

Last edited:
Just saw the video, you didn't answer the most important question (to me). I've asked it several times but gotten both a yes and a no answer.

Since it's a hand winder you can spin several times this means there is no stop like on most magazines I've seen. Since there is no stop does the internals of the mag spin once the last shot is fired?

Edit:
2nd question.

The original Skout was around $3600 and came with 3 barrels. Their facebook said they would release a cheaper version without the 2 extra barrels?
So are the extra barrels in this one different? Are they more like liners instead of barrels?
The mag does indeed spin after the last shot, and you can normally hear/feel that happening.
Those are the barrels, similar in some ways to the FX barrels, and are interchangeable within the shroud.

Edit:
2nd question.

PY Air's websight says it comes with only 1 barrel, but then mine was from PY Air off the shelf and it had 3 barrels...so not sure on that. You would have to call PY Air to check about the barrels before you order. It's $2350 everywhere though. I'm confused at this point. Those were definately barrels though.

If you only spin the mag one revolution it will still work, but it will be at the end of the springs travel, so it won't spin.

This PY Air black one has no barrel lock nut either. The nut below is not on PY Air version:

hhhhhh.JPG

I have the Skout I believe it is the only full power .25 in the uk at the moment.
We get three liners here , it is an absolutely stunning rifle and really does outclass my others and anything I have previously had too .
Currently have a Deltawolf but decided to sell it and a Raw HM1000x ,
The Skout is way better than any of the Fx impacts I have had

Last edited:
I have the Skout I believe it is the only full power .25 in the uk at the .
We get three liners here , it is an absolutely stunning rifle and early does outclass my others and anything I have previously had too .
But how much did you pay for it? Skout said on facebook (if I'm not mistaken) that they would come out with a cheaper version but it would only come with 1 barrel. Now the one on Pyramyds website is about $1300 cheaper than the initial release yet it says it comes with 3 barrels.
So is there a mistake on Pyramyds website or do you get barrel liners with the cheaper version and not actual barrels?
I emailed Skout today to ask about the difference between initial and cheaper release.

I got a reply from Darryl at Skout Airguns.
"Hello,

The gun originally entered the market at $2,950 and came with the 3 barrels within the same caliber. After talking to dealers, we decided to remove 2 of the barrels and bring the price down to the $2,450 suggested price, and a MAP of $2,350. Some dealers have stock left over from the 3-barrel configuration and should be sold for the 2,450 price until gone.

Hope this helps

Darryl"

So what this means is that if you get a gun asap you can get the 3 barrel version for the new price.
So hurry on up and get your asap :D

"Hello,

The gun originally entered the market at $2,950 and came with the 3 barrels within the same caliber. After talking to dealers, we decided to remove 2 of the barrels and bring the price down to the $2,450 suggested price, and a MAP of $2,350. Some dealers have stock left over from the 3-barrel configuration and should be sold for the 2,450 price until gone.

Hope this helps

Darryl"

So what this means is that if you get a gun asap you can get the 3 barrel version for the new price.
Holy crap. Does that mean those barrels cost $325 each? ...at least. They must. That just kinda killed it for me. I liked the gun at $2300, not so much at $3K. But if they start beating FX Impacts I will gladly pay $3,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: tsktsk07
Holy crap. Does that mean those barrels cost $325 each? ...at least. They must. That just kinda killed it for me. I liked the gun at $2300, not so much at $3K. But if they start beating FX Impacts I will gladly pay $3,000.
Where do you get the $325 from?

The 3 barrel version cost $2950, so you remove 2 barrels down to $2450. €500 difference so they value the barrels at $250 each.
$2350 is the minimum they allow retailers to sell at but it's not the MSRP which is $2450.
What it means is that all the extra work that went into making the extra barrels can now be used on other parts of the manufacturing process.

As you mentioned the FX Impact how much does a barrel kit cost for the M3? The M3 doesn't use barrels but instead barrel liners and sleeves.
Looking at Pyramyds website a kit seems to be between $299.99 - 399.99 depending on kit chosen.

The advantage of the liners system is that you can easily swap liners without the need to get a new sleeve every time (unless changing barrel length, not sure if you need a new sleeve for caliber swap).
Negative would be since the liners are thinner they are more easily damaged from drops and such. Seen a few posts about damaged liners, not so much about barrels.
So what does a FX liner cost? Pyramid lists them at $109.99. That's just for the liner and not a complete barrel kit.

How much does it cost to manufacture an airgun? The price would surprise you, if you did all the work yourself you could probably manufacture a complete FX Impact M3 for less than $100, then again this does not include the cost of the machinery, technical skill and RnD that ha gone into developing the rifle.
From what I've been told the cost to manufacture a rifle is between 10-25% of the sales price depending on how complex the rifle is. A break barrels is much easier to manufacture than a PCP as an example, this is reflected in the price difference.

Once metal 3D printing becomes a viable option we might see prices for PCP rifles drop by 50-70%. I believe 3D printers will be there in about 10 years.
Sure we can already do it today but the price of the printers and speed is too slow for mass production. Once you can print a metal 3D printer with a metal 3D printer the price of them will reduce exponentially. The price will then be the cost of materials used, electricity and expertise.

Then what is the true price of a barrel? Probably less than $20, it's the time, cost of the machines, maintenance, electricity and expertise you pay for as it's just a hollow tube after all.

Are the barrels available for the Epoch available for any other airgun on the market? Not as far as I know, FX doesn't offer a .225 or .2195 sleeve.

I think the removal of the 2 extra barrels is a good thing as they should never have been sold with the rifle to begin with.
They are a niche item meant for people who truly understand the mechanics of the rifle and looking to get that extra decimal point accuracy increase these barrels might provide.
I have not seen any video or review that explains just what advantage these extra barrels would have for the average user.
I think it's more of a detriment to have the extra barrels as it increased the price beyond most peoples budget and average users who don't understand the purpose of the extra barrels might consider the gun something too advanced for them to use.

IMO there should have been a base version of the rifle at launch with just 1 barrel and a pro version with the 2 extra. Extra barrels available for sale separately as well for those who want to experiment.

TLDR:
IMO Epoch barrels have a comparable price to others, especially when you consider that the "caliber" of the extra barrels are not standard.

Then again...
idiot.jpg

Hmm, just found these.
Skout Barrel Liners
PY-A-12996_Skout-Epoch-Barrel-Insert_1680182471.jpg

So the Skout uses liners in the same way the FX Impact does? Hmm, I thought you got extra barrels with the kit and not liners?
Then my above isn't as relevant as I thought... especially when the 3 liners cost $224.99. So the value for each "barrel" is then $75?

This doesn't explain a $500 decrease in price at all. Now I'm quite confused.

You do get liners ,
On the barrel you get the transfer port that is two slot type like the Huma fx ones three liners one bore size and on +one thou one -one thou they are themselves carbon fibre sleeved this goes into another carbon tube an inch diameter this is held in by a locking nut , then also in the kit you get an air stripper / sound mod .
And a magazine and a replacement probe for £250 in the uk , this is waaaay cheaper than anything Fx and it’s better

Excellent review Kaylaindy and thank you for sharing.

The charging of the battery seems like a pain and I wonder why they did not install an easily accessible charging port.

While hunting I shoot from a tripod. Can the bottle be laid in the cradle of a bipod or is there another way to do this.

If this gun relied less on electronics and was in .457 I would order one immediately.

The charging of the battery seems like a pain and I wonder why they did not install an easily accessible charging port.
I believe I saw a video interview where they said you need to recharge the battery every 100 000 shots.
I was also surprised at how clunky it is to recharge but from what I remember you don't have to do it very often.

Reactions: MAUMAU
"Hello,

Hope this helps

Darryl"

To me it indicates that if 3 barrel versions are still anywhere they haven’t sold many of these things. Great review Nate it was a fun watch.

I have the Skout I believe it is the only full power .25 in the uk at the moment.
We get three liners here , it is an absolutely stunning rifle and really does outclass my others and anything I have previously had too .
Do you have any group to show?