SKOUT AIRGUNS - EPOCH® - SLUG POWER DEMONSTRATION

BIG power.

What interests me most about the SKOUT concept is their advancements in valving and firing mechanisms and their subsequent effect on the perceived shot cycle. For me, shot cycles can make or break the shooting experience, even (and maybe ESPECIALLY) on a PCP. I watched the vid hoping to see how much the gun was moving to try to determine what kind of "recoil" (not quite the right word for an airgun but conveys the concept) we'll be seeing from the SKOUT.

Looks like they've got it pretty strapped down with the bottle-restraining front rest, so unfortunately not much can be determined from the vid, regarding shot cycle.

On a side note.....the SHOT show vid with owner interview talked about using lower regulated PSIs (or maybe it was just lower operating pressures?) than most of the airgun industry is trending to. As a low psi, USFT aficionado and somebody who truly appreciates getting more gun fills out of a air supply tank rather than fewer, I LOVE that idea!!! Have you guys been able to stick to the low regulated psi in all your testing and still get the fpe you were hoping? In other words, what kind of operating and/or reg pressures are we talking about to produce what was shown in this vid?

Thanks.

889mm barrel is enormous length for an Airrifle... Will you offer a shorter version that can be carried in the field? Sorry for all the questions but when taking pre-orders for a gun people want to know many more details than you have provided in either video. I realize Skout is not new to production and has a name in the paintball industry but this is an entire different ballgame, especially at near $3k price tag. It's important to provide some specs such as weight, length,twist rates, magazine capacity, shot count, reg settings, trigger pull, available adjustments and accuracy away from a machine. No serious Airgunner is going to run out and spend that kind of money without some better more detailed information.

BIG power.

What interests me most about the SKOUT concept is their advancements in valving and firing mechanisms and their subsequent effect on the perceived shot cycle. For me, shot cycles can make or break the shooting experience, even (and maybe ESPECIALLY) on a PCP. I watched the vid hoping to see how much the gun was moving to try to determine what kind of "recoil" (not quite the right word for an airgun but conveys the concept) we'll be seeing from the SKOUT.

Looks like they've got it pretty strapped down with the bottle-restraining front rest, so unfortunately not much can be determined from the vid, regarding shot cycle.

On a side note.....the SHOT show vid with owner interview talked about using lower regulated PSIs (or maybe it was just lower operating pressures?) than most of the airgun industry is trending to. As a low psi, USFT aficionado and somebody who truly appreciates getting more gun fills out of a air supply tank rather than fewer, I LOVE that idea!!! Have you guys been able to stick to the low regulated psi in all your testing and still get the fpe you were hoping? In other words, what kind of operating and/or reg pressures are we talking about to produce what was shown in this vid?

Thanks.
Good question. At approximately 3 1/2" longer than a FX 800mm barrel, it's good to know what it can do but I believe for most potential customers showing something in the 500-700mm range might be more beneficial. Granted Skout is still working with their "MULE Test Unit" and as such they should test the outer limits to see just what the platform will take for punishment. Better to find the weak spots in testing than in the Customers hands, as seems to happen frequently with some well known Brands

JoeWillie

As Dana says, the guys that actually use a gun for the type of stuff he does in his vids aren't going to be too enthused about a 35 inch barrel. BUT, with the direction the big comps like RMAC and EBR and PA Cup are going, I can see a market for a bench howitzer like this in those shooting comps. Hell, look at some of sillyness (in the sense of field-carryable) we're already seeing on RMAC/EBR guns, like the double boobie bottles, and literally POUNDS of melted lead cylinders stuck to pic rails, and bipods with 3 foot wingspans, etc. I saw a photo of the RMAC winner that had what looked like an actual scissor jack for changing tires stuck under his gun. This would be right at home with all that (and I say again) bench howitzer stuff.

Yeah you got to weigh in the different things.
I for instance have spent a couple of grand on a single RC truck, that i generally only drove 2-3-4 house one day during the week, as a side effect as it was a Scale truck, well we did get to walk a lot in the forest to reach different places where the little 4x4 trucks would be challenged, so also a lot of transport time where you just drive a strait line on a path.

But at my age exercise are for sure not a bad thing to get, so even if the initial cost was expensive i do consider that whole 10 year long adventure a win - win.
And the gear are still ready for action, just need to charge batteries for the car and transmitter,,,,, but it have actually been a couple of years since i last drove my scale truck.

My friend on the other hand, well in the 25 years or so i have known him, he have spent about 50 - 80 grand ( US dollars ) on just about anything you can radio control, which when you see shelf system after shelf system full of models with dust on them as they rarely get used, well i do think was a waste in a sense.
My friend i am sure felt OK with it all, or he probably would not have spent all those money on it.

Now that i am on a pension 3 grand are a lot of money, and with the 2 guns i already have, well the Epoch will have to be exceptional before i can justify the price,,,,, remember i am locked to .177, so its not like i could get it in a larger caliber and use that for a excuse to buy another gun.
CUZ if i got a new gun, and it was OMG to shoot, well in a sense that would render my other guns useless, not least since i do NOT sell things on, at best i donate old stuff, and i could also do that with a airgun, but dont know anyone worth that.
I would donate to my nephew or his sisters, but none of then shoot, and the youngest one would probably just sell it on to get drugs.
And my friend,,,, well dont mind giving him stuff either, but he are no fan of the bullpup style rifles, but otherwise he do pant for a 4.5 mm gun that he just can not afford on his pension as he is a house owner too so have even less money to burn than i have.

Even if i have a scope on my Vulcan 3, it is just the old scope from my old Cyclone,,,,,, and i so want to buy a scope, but right now i am hell bend on getting a big expensive compressor, that at best will also just be used once every 2 weeks.
So that is indeed me paying for the option to be able to fill my own dive bottles VS paying someone else to do it.