• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skout Airguns - Epoch Preview

On a 300 Bar (4300 fill) with a 500cc tank shooting 880 fps using a 50.15 grain JSB pellet with a 35" barrel, we achieved 100 shots before any noticeable drop off.~Darryl
The Epoch could become a point of inflection in the industry of Airguns.

Accuracy is the "to be confirmed" relevant aspect.

Reliability and long lasting will need years of experience....

Last edited:
😲 Wowza! That's 100, 86fpe shots, from a single fill off a 500cc tank!?!?!

Running the numbers of total fpe from a given bottle.....and comparing that to all of the airguns I've played with.....that's astonishing efficiency.

Usually, something like a combined 2000fpe out of a single fill from a 500cc bottle is pretty decent (40 consistent and useable shotsx50fpe).

You're talking about 8600fpe from a single fill from the same 500cc bottle (86fpe x 100 shots)

Youre filling to 300 bar instead of the typical 250, and you've got a longer barrel on that thing than normal, but I still wouldn't expect the total fpe output to be more than 4 times as much. Impressive indeed, bordering unbelievable (and I say that from somebody who really hopes your claims hold true and you see success in the market, a huge leap forward in performance is always welcome).
That is impressive. I haven't run the efficiency numbers, since we don't know finishing pressure. The .30 Delta Wolf gets 40 shots times 86 FPE for 3440 FPE total, but that's from a 250-bar fill (down to 150 bar) and a 23-inch barrel. We're not exactly comparing apples to apples.
I'm sure that 35-inch barrel is strongly tensioned, look how the 800 mm (31.4 inch) barrel from FX was received until the CF tensioning kit was added. Without that, those long barrels can turn into bull whips.

Skout Epoch camo-1.jpg

I'm getting a plethora of PMs requesting updates on the Epoch so hopefully this post will reach enough of those interested to allow my poor arthritic fingers to get a break.
I'm in touch weekly with Skout and they've been very transparent about their progress. Its no surprise that due to the Chinese Covid lock down, parts shipments out of China have literally stopped. Since the parts are manufactured in Taiwan and subsequently sent to the mainland for transport to the US, the parts are stuck until the restriction are eased. It's anticipated that the Chinese will ease those restrictions this coming week. If so, the entire schedule will only be delayed about two weeks. That of course, is a best case scenario.
From the beginning, back in January of 2022, I've been saying that the time line projected by Skout was, in my experience, a pipe dream. At that time I simply saw no way to go from a conceptual mock up to a working prototype in 9 months. In any manufacturing venture, there are simply too many unknowns that inevitably arise. Well, I was dead wrong. Skout not only kept to their initial projection, they beat it and had a full blown pre-production model ready for extensive testing. So, although this latest hiccup may actually push the release date back a bit, it wouldn't surprise me if Skout manages to pull a rabbit out of their hat and actually meet their initial projection of a full January 2023 release of the Epoch to the retail market.

#skoutairguns #darylltrent

Last edited:
I'm very skeptical of anything new and unproven, especially at this asking price. I do however think it's important to encourage innovation and I definitely think Skout is on that path. As skeptical as I am, I do want to throw out some encouragement. Darryl has been answering questions to the best of his ability without dropping the ball, even when guys like me have been rude....that has to count for something eh? 😂 I wish them the best and look forward to seeing a finished product. Cheers

I'm very skeptical of anything new and unproven, especially at this asking price. I do however think it's important to encourage innovation and I definitely think Skout is on that path. As skeptical as I am, I do want to throw out some encouragement. Darryl has been answering questions to the best of his ability without dropping the ball, even when guys like me have been rude....that has to count for something eh? 😂 I wish them the best and look forward to seeing a finished product. Cheers
It's just too bad that they're so damned ugly (even with the cool finishes). But beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I'm sure there are plenty out there that think this thing is a sexy beast.

Reactions: primaz

Yep.
I've had so far two miserable experiences with new expensive pcp airguns that were supposed to be THE answer, and a third which was still disappointing because it leaked, had a problem with the magazine, also had to hold back the cocking lever to both put in and take out the mag, the set screw for the HS wasn't tightened down from the manufacturer so the HS nut backed out over time, and not as precise as it should have been.

Currently I know of a newer pcp that is a basically a expensive joke. An acquaintance has bought two of them and finally gave up.

On the contrary most firearms in this price range would be awesome guns! It's stupid we have to be the pcp manufactures test mules when these guns should be near perfect when we get them.

I'm so glad I learned my lesson by being skeptical!

I don't believe that price should have any bearing on functional integrity. If a manufacturer is selling you a potato peeler the darn thing should peal potatoes, period. If the handle falls off and the blade bends after a few uses, you've been hosed regardless of the price you paid.

All to often, in this industry, we put great stock in those individuals that are paid by the manufacturers or the retailers to taught the products. THAT's what you should be skeptical about and that's why folks like myself don't put much credence into paid promotional reviews. I wrote the piece I published of my own volition not at the behest of anyone. I've accepted no compensation of any kind, nor will I in exchange for my evaluation of this or any product. tABC solicits sponsors based on products we've reviewed and found to be of topnotch functional quality only AFTER such a finding. No sponsor can pay to get on tABC.

When I publish my next review of the Epoch, it will be based on a gun I've paid for out of pocket, as are all the product reviews I write. The preview I wrote was based solely on our experience with the BETA prototype, but that experience was more than enough for all three of us to secure our places in the queue for one of the first run retail guns. I don't disapprove of anyone's skepticism when it come to new products in this industry. The industry track record pretty much sucks so there's plenty of reason to be wary. That's exactly why I made the trip to Skout to check out the gun and the company first hand, an investment in time and money I recommend for anyone thinking about this gun but not fully secure with my or anyone else's opinion. I know the folks at Skout would welcome any and all comers because they've told me so. They invited us initially when we contacted them for information resulting in my article and we're headed back again as soon as the production guns are on site. Skepticism is healthy, but basing a judgement on THIS company or this product based on your past experiences would be a mistake.

Last edited:
I don't believe that price should have any bearing on functional integrity. If a manufacturer is selling you a potato peeler the darn thing should peal potatoes, period. If the handle falls off and the blade bends after a few uses, you've been hosed regardless of the price you paid.

All to often, in this industry, we put great stock in those individuals that are paid by the manufacturers or the retailers to taught the products. THAT's what you should be skeptical about and that's why folks like myself don't put much credence into paid promotional reviews. I wrote the piece I published of my own volition not at the behest of anyone. I've accepted no compensation of any kind, nor will I in exchange for my evaluation of this or any product. tABC solicits sponsors based on products we've reviewed and found to be of topnotch functional quality only AFTER such a finding. No sponsor can pay to get on tABC.

When I publish my next review of the Epoch, it will be based on a gun I've paid for out of pocket, as are all the product reviews I write. The preview I wrote was based solely on our experience with the BETA prototype, but that experience was more than enough for all three of us to secure our places in the queue for one of the first run retail guns. I don't disapprove of anyone's skepticism when it come to new products in this industry. The industry track record pretty much sucks so there's plenty of reason to be wary. That's exactly why I made the trip to Skout to check out the gun and the company first hand, an investment in time and money I recommend for anyone thinking about this gun but not fully secure with my or anyone else's opinion. I know the folks at Skout would welcome any and all comers because they've told me so. They invited us initially when we contacted them for information resulting in my article and we're headed back again as soon as the production guns are on site. Skepticism is healthy, but basing a judgement on THIS company or this product based on your past experiences would be a mistake.

We can always hope that any and all possible shortcomings(if any) of the production guns have been taken care of, right ?!

That remains to be seen.

Reactions: JoePolanco
My weekly call to Darryl Trent (of Skout Airguns) gleaned a bit of new info on the progress of the EPOCH. Although no solid date can yet be confirmed, the anticipated three-four week delay, due to the China shut down, I spoke about in the last update, remains unchanged. Although parts continue to trickle in, others remain stuck on the docks awaiting transport.

I was, however, given a bit of insight into how the release will happen. The current plan is to assemble, test and ship first the .30 caliber pre-orders followed by the .25 caliber and then the .35 caliber. "I" anticipate that this should all happen within the first 30 days or so. Last for release will be the .22 and .177 versions.

The folks at Skout have listened to and heard the communities expectations. They are aware of what the airgun community demands of a high end product and to that end every Epoch will be assembled and rigorously tested on sight before shipping. Naturally this is to insure that the guns received will fulfill expectations without disappointment. Personally, I would have been more than happy to have taken the beta gun I originally tested home with me as it was amazing even though all of it's systems were not yet online. I'll be headed back to Skout the minute the first production guns are ready for testing and plan on doing some of that testing myself on a number of different guns in order to confirm their consistency/quality control from gun to gun. When that happens, Jerry Kornfield and I will be there over the course of a couple of days. During that visit we'll have plenty of photos and video our time there with the Epoch to share both on tABC as well as here . We're planning a FB LIVE feed on tABC during which those who might have questions can ask and get immediate answers straight from the designers in real time.

For now, however, we'll have to settle for a new short video and a few pictures of the various bits and pieces, but then, something is usually better than nothing... LOL... Stay tuned there will be more.

Skout fire on-off button.jpg

skout-trigger.jpg

skout-moderator-raw.jpg

skout-bridge assembly-raw.jpg

I was into smart parts PB guns big time for quite awhile. Then they went out of business and left us with useless markers. I Personally will not be apart of them again. I’ve got shocker and impulse markers that are useless sitting here. Several thousands of dollars, not good fir nothing. Look good i guess, but useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skout-airguns