• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Skeletonized skulls- fantastic teaching tools for brain shots (warning- graphic)

There is no doubt a well-executed brain shot is the most humane hunting kill possible; however there is little question few hunters are skilled enough to consistently execute that most humane execution. Those facts indisputable, I’m proud to say evidence suggests serious airgunners are leading the way in the quest for the most humane kill. That is partly and sometimes by necessity, given the limited power we wield; but I believe also a byproduct of airgunners being, by and large, more conscionable than the average hunter. Recent posts on this forum in multiple sections evidence not only both points, but a couple more.

1. Airgunners are leading the way in the quest for the most humane kill, 2) are more conscionable than the average hunter, 3) are leading the way because they are more conscionable than the average hunter, and 4) since we typically shoot more often and expend exponentially more rounds of ammo, we can, and more often do, develop the finer shooting skills required to execute brain shots many hunters only scoff as stunt-work, or dream about. By the way, point 4 should be considered the first requisite for attempting brain shots; much less adopting them as routine.
    [/LIST=1]

In my opinion, anyone believing they have the shooting skill necessary to consider brains shots should then familiarize himself well to the cranial anatomy of the target species before attempting it at the prey’s expense, lest the exercise go badly. The fact that many posts reference head shots but few mention brain shots hints why the disclaimer “lest the exercise go badly”. Although a brain shot is indeed a head shot, the two terms are not synonymous. Shots that do not penetrate the brain cavity not only often to not kill the prey, they often leave the victim grotesquely injured; NOT ACCEPTABLE. So in hopes of avoiding such catastrophes, there is no better cranial anatomy teaching tool than a skeletonized skull. Especially of the target species.

A recent forum post specifically asks for a cat skull image. That post prompted this response, however I can do much better than that. The bobcat skull pictured in this post not only gives great insights into preferred brain-shot placements, but also GRAPHIC insights into attempted brain shots gone bad!

Airgun bobcat.1645665818.jpg
    Bcat forensics.1645665871.jpg

Notice not only the broken skull on the inside, 3 o’clock edge of the bobcat’s right orbital where my first shot hit with a 10.3 grain .177 pellet at 986 FFS. Now also notice just to the readers’ left of that pellet hole a crack in the cranial wall on the inside of the eye socket where the same pellet also hit. Unfortunately neither of those impacts from my first (35 yard) shot penetrated into the brain. The orbital impact is not in the brain cavity; rather, it’s in the nasal cavity. Had my first shot hit just one-quarter inch farther right, the wildcat would have dropped instantly... and never known it.

Unfortunately, and I (will) blame it on the gusty cross-winds, since the shot was one-half inch off my intended mark, it only sent him down reeling for a couple seconds; time enough to chamber and deliver another round as he regained footing. Unfortunately that hurried shot is seen as the pellet hole in the jawbone in the bottom-center of this photo-

Bcat broadside.1645665932.jpg

That shot also sent him down reeling a couple seconds as I chambered another round. I took the third shot as he tore out of there broadside to me; that shot seeming like a good chest shot.

His line of flight being thick, chest-high weedy cover, as I approached his escape route I dreaded the thought of badly wounding a beautiful bobcat. However he didn’t make it ten feet past my third shot, it indeed being a fatal chest shot.

I present this graphic evidence of not only my sorry shooting, but the possible unintended consequences of attempted brain shots in honest attempt to educate those considering them. Well done, they’re the most perfectly humane hunting shot possible. Any less than well done and… well, just consider this wildcat’s life if my third, desperation shot had not been as lucky.

Knowing from experience the harsh criticisms many readers are already formulating, before you post them, read the attached story titled 'Cat Tales'. Then, if you still feel compelled to criticize my motives for killing that bobcat, be forewarned I might defend myself from unwarranted attack(s). Then ask yourself what you would do if your pets had been attacked by feral cats three times previous, twice requiring veterinary services.

Bobcat mount.1645666067.jpg

My taxidermist buddy did a good job recreating my description of the lovely cat’s last moments as he sneaked into range and peered through the weeds at the source of my mouth squeaking.

Warnings and disclaimers behind us, a few general observations about brain shooting might now be pertinent. First, and very important, shot angle is sometimes just as important as shot placement. Referring back to the frontal view of the bobcat skull (above), a typical angle presentation of animals looking at you, be aware that larger, slower pellets like a 15 foot-pound .22 that hit a half-inch higher and better centered might (also) not penetrate into the brain cavity due to too shallow impact angle. Point is, prey looking at you often present too shallow shot-impact angles to penetrate through the skull into the brain cavity. Better brain-shot angles to penetrate into the brain are (often) broadside and facing away presentations.

Good aiming points are (generally)- facing you, slightly above a line drawn between the eye-brows; broadside, slightly above a line between an eye and ear; and facing away, a line drawn between the ears. Facing-away presentations offer some advantages not only relating to shot angle, but effective target size/area. Refer to the facing-away bobcat photo below while reading the next paragraph.

Bcat rear.1645666146.jpg

A facing-away line drawn between the ears targets the occipital bone and occipital ridge area seen here as an arch bisecting the back of the skull. On many animals I’d describe the occipital ridge as a conveniently steep ridge for shot-angle(s).

Facing-away shots also allow more room for error, specifically for shots straying low of a line drawn between the ears. The hole in the bottom of the skull is where the spine connects, also known as the brain stem. Talk about a sweet-spot! And shots straying low of that often hit the spine itself; a debilitating injury, though not an instant “lights out” (as regards brain function). 

I post this in hopes hunters contemplating brain shots might benefit from insights gained from much experience; insights both good and bad. For better perspective on one of those experiences I'm attaching (below) a copy of the story referenced earlier.

Happy Hunting Y'all,

Ron

download.png
    View attachment Cat Tales pdf.1645667078.pdf

Ron,

Thank you for this excellent contribution to the “hunting” forum. I could relate to some of your experiences and I really liked how you expounded upon and emphasized the importance of shot angles. Your candor is also important. This isn’t YouTube. What you described in this post is how things can unfold on a real life hunt. I think the fact that you were committed to your ethics as a hunter to the point of taking action to ensure that the wounded bobcat did not get away is exemplary under the circumstances. This has been an extremely detailed and informative read. 

May I ask why you elected to use a .177 caliber rifle in this particular situation?

Dave

Thanks for the nice feedback, Dave. I appreciate it. 

The reason I happened to be carrying a .177 at the time was because, after sighting-in that flat-shooting .177 laser-gun to hit within 1/2" of point of aim from 12 to 50 yards, I decided to take a maiden stroll around my new 40 acre home-place. Never expected to encounter a bobcat, though was hoping to see a coyote. Thought that's what it was (about 150 yards away), until looking through the scope. What a surprise! 

Thought twice... before realizing if a bobcat is as territorial as every feral tomcat there wouldn't be enough left of my cats THIS TIME to take to the vet. So I decided to attempt a stalk.

He was gone by the time I'd slipped through the cover to within airgun range, so I sat down in a field target position behind weedy cover and mouth-squeaked until he appeared. With no clear shot to the brain I didn't attempt it, and he disappeared. I squeaked louder with more urgency, and he appeared again; that time offering a clear shot. I held into the gusty crosswinds, apparently about 1/2" too much. 

I'm hard-wired to (always) chamber another round on hunting shots when using any repeater. Not the only time that habit has paid off.

FWIW, though I didn't choose a .177 for the job of shooting a bobcat, I wouldn't hesitate to if I didn't have a larger caliber handy that was as accurate as that powerful .177.

Thanks for the excellent read!

This is one of the reasons that I have preferred to shoot bodyshots on game, as the margin of error is low going for headshots. I have gotten more than my fair share of complaints for not taking headshots because of heart lung shots sometimes producing runners on groundhogs. Maybe I will consider taking more headshots in the future as I await my FX Maverick in .30cal, as this is a tried and true sub-MOA platform.

Thanks for the detailed read. I agree we should learn the form and build of the target we intend to use. Some do not realize the actual small size of some brains or their actual placement inside the skull. Shot angle is very important with airguns because of glancing blows that ricochet instead of punch through. If we intend to excel in what we do study and homework are essential to success.

I have to admit to not being a big fan of head shots. My nightmare scenario is taking a head shot and instead, hitting the target in the jaw. You can bet a percentage of those prairie dogs that people take head shots on get down the hole with their jaw smashed and end up dying long painful deaths, unable to eat with no possibility of healing from the damage. Not something I want to be responsible for.

I prefer a chest shot that may not be an instant kill like a brain shot, but, in my opinion, is a higher percentage shot and will cause death in a very short period of time.

Moses in PA

To clarify, I neither employ brain shots exclusively, nor advocate for others to adopt brain shots. I prefer brains shots, to minimize suffering of the prey, and employ brain shots when I feel confident in probabilities of executing a good one; but will not hesitate to take a heart/lung shot if or when I feel the probabilities of a humane brain shot are low. Which reminds me of a point I forgot to make in my original post (and since).

An important part of a brain-shot disposition is adopting hunting methods, scenarios, set-ups, weapons, and shooting positions conducive to successful brain shots. That includes developing the patience to wait for a proper shot presentation by the prey animal, then not rushing the shot.

Yes, I did all those things in the situation described in my original post, yet still missed my target (spot) by 1/4". Which brings us to at least part of my intent for the post. Key words "teaching tools"... as in LEARNING.

By the way, I don't suffer delusions that I know it all. But when I believe I know enough to offer worthwhile insights, usually based on vast experience (rather than conjecture), I'm (perhaps, sometimes, too) inclined to do so. I realize that inclination sometimes makes me a target for disagreement(s) or criticism. 

Provocateurs thrive on such healthy freedoms of thought, speech, and debate. God bless America... and this forum!

Happy Hunting,

RR

Shooting from an improvised rest on my ATV, I felt confident in the probabilities for a humane brain shot at 42 yards-

42 yd AR6 2.1645739763.JPG

Not confident in the probabilities for a humane brain shot at 46 yards from the same improvised rest on my ATV, I defaulted to a chest shot-
46 yd AR6.1645740095.JPG

If you have access to a skull. Turn it over upside down. You will see two small round bones depending on the type of skull most are about the size of a grape. Near the back under the actual skull. Those are the ear bones they are very thin, if you remove them from the skull you can crush them with your fingers. With them out you will see several large holes into the brain cavity. Those holes are where the eyes, nose and ears tie into the brain stem and the spinal cord. Any disruption in this area is catastrophic to living things. It's like taking a sledgehammer to the fuse box of your house or car. 

Thank you, fuz. I agree, it's beautiful.

It is but one of many beautiful, unique, and/or incredible taxidermies and showpieces decorating my living room and home. Strangely and inexplicably, though most of my visitors are shooters and hunters, virtually NONE comment at all on any of them.

Gobbler mount.1645834692.JPG

Great Room.1645834747.jpg

Man Cave.1645834883.jpg

LR displays.1645834916.JPG

Bath hall.1645835092.JPG

Do you recognize the quote on the sign under the antlers in the third photo? If so, you'd probably really appreciate my decor. By the way, one of the MOST unique pieces of decor is the door window just below aforementioned sign.

Many years ago when I got back into airguns and really caught the bug I looked everywhere for something to read up and learn as much as possible. I don’t know if everyone else knows but the OP wrote a really good book on airguns and hunting. I must have read it 5 times and still have it. The book actually gave me the reason to buy my first PCP which was the Career 111 300 in 22 cal Because he loved the Sumatra so much. He writes about head shots in the book. Very good read. It was a very informative and entertaining read.