SkeeterHawk Has Lost His Mind! Video shooting (mostly) swinging targets in INSANE wind!! 70mph Gusts!!

Hello friends,

I would make this a challenge, if it were even a tiny bit "normal" that anyone else have this kind of crazy wind. This would be good training for the RMAC as the wind was about the same, but the stationary targets would be more representative of that competition.

Anyway, here is a link to the (pretty long) video:

I didn't want to edit it much as all of the setup time and crazy wind blowing the heck out of things is what makes this interesting, IMO. I was pretty happy that I nailed the Coke can at about 80 yards in the first shot 💪🥳, and then shanked the next two on a stationary target at about 50 yards. 😞 Such is life!

So, this was what I was doing while Mother Nature was rearranging our lawn furniture for us. Such a nice woman! 🤗

Let me know what you think, and if you can/would/should shoot in such insane conditions.

Cheers!

Jonathan

Just a note, before I got started, I had to "rescue" my cans from being stuck on the trees. This is how one of them looked, and note the heavy washer I have tied onto the string to help prevent this kind of thing. When the winds are THIS strong, I'd probably need a brick instead.
20230331_143558_WasherLabeled.jpg

Reactions: Nattboy
I had no desire to be out there trying to shoot or doing anything else outside.
I do this so you don't have to ;)

I like to try to get out in the wind as often as I can to help with my wind calls, but I don't normally shoot things that are flying all over the place. I thought I'd step up the challenge today, since we had such extreme weather.

Reactions: Moog
Actually it's a good opportunity to practice on moving targets.
Agreed! The behavior is really sporadic, as shown by the video since I didn't cut it, so that is especially good to learn to time your shots when you see it starting to "line up". You can't chase the targets, or it would drive you crazy. You can only watch the behavior, look for the "path most crossed", and hope to hit it in time.

This is a "fun" challenge. Definitely a challenge. I wish that my shooting buddies would be able to do this on their ranges without having to have a ton of friends with leaf blowers out there along the flight path, as @thomasair brought up in the Windflag discussion.

Reactions: Nattboy