Sizing .22 pellets question

I need an education with this, I never saw and never had in my hands these sizing dies.

What I have done in the past, of course washing+lubing, visual inspection on skirts and head, head sorting, weight sorting and I even tried roll testing the pellets.
I tried these with many brands and weight sizes, some are really bad and some are much better shooting directly out of tins.
But slowly moving up with weights for shooting .22's for longer distances.

The problem I see is that I am sitting on a bigger pile of .22 MRD's and I could not make them behave well. To go through sorting excercise for a full volume I am not crazy enough.

For invested total time and effort maybe would be better just to resize all the head to same size.
So far up to 50 meters is OKish POI and it is ready for scoring but I would like to make them hit accurately at least 80 and the 100 would be a bingo.
But the flyers.

Last night I pushed these MRD's through the liner:
- stoped before the choke and pushed back - 0.216" = 5.48mm
- pushed through the choke 0.2125" = 5.39mm

Would the correct sizing be around 0.217" and 0.218" ?
I have seen the YT videos from NOE and HM pellet sizing dies so far.

Well I’ll start by saying a 3.5 thou choke is a lot. Too much in my opinion, and potentially a key source of the fliers. Getting squeezed that much has an elevated potential to strip off lead in the choke to then be picked up by a subsequent pellet, disrupting its stability and sending it off course. As such, you may want to consider some trials with lubrication and/or giving the bore a little smoothing with J-B or similar, particularly at the choke.

Regarding your question on sizing, you can take the heads down as small as the land dimension. The head need only “ride the rails” to be properly supported. Generally don’t want to size down the skirts. They should be a few thousandths larger to ensure a prompt obturation and seal to the bore when the pressure pulse hits.

Reactions: Stone02 and bigHUN
The FX liner is a .22x600 Superior with 1:24 twist rate, I JB polish it and wax it, now the choke I didn't expect to be so aggressive = dimensionaly. Still @ 50 M it is pretty accurate. This what I am hoping for that the .22 MRD's shall reach the 100 M with acceptable accuracy. That will be my homework now.
Yes I am also supporting the idea that the head and the skirt cannot be same size.
I watched the HM video on YT, and that tool is working exactly like that but also nobody could reach out to the guy in PRC.
Can't find a video to see how the NOE sizer works on pellets, I hope it is not a push through like the ebay thingies..
The third style from UK that is adjustable? Hm too many things can go wrong if I forget where I left the height yesterday.

I dont many or any here size a pellet , A slug yes not a pellet , if you want your pellets to preform any better you can start by washing carefully with warm water and dawn to decrease use lube of choice , some use pledge , naplier lube , wd-40 or what ever , then most sort the bent or distorted skirts in one pile and the rest can be sorted with like a pelletgage this sorts head size and yes some do yary , next many sort by weight like is monsters say 24.0 - 25,2 , 25.4 ect . then finally try different ammo , also most can be bought say 5.50 5.51 5.52 ect. but not much else their is a zillion tuning guides for guns as well also if groups verticle it may be fps spread excessive of left and right can be wind finally it can be shooter moving
LOU

So. The FX Superior is choked? If that is the case why would I buy one and not just chop the choke off the STX standard?
The .22x600 Superior (got it from second hand mounted on my L2) feels the most choked then the .25x700 Superior Heavy (mounted on my Impact) or the .25x700 STX-A (came off the Impact) and this one is the least choked.
I ended up shooting slugs for a good, for pellets I want the choke.

Finally got the answer what I was looking for, from another forum:
"The NOE sizing bushings I ordered that are for airguns are push through. The only option with them is to size the entire pellet and then flare the skirt back out."
So, the NOE pellet sizer is no bueno in my eyes.
HM is not answering or disappeared, the latest post was back somewhere about 2018. I guess I can revers engineer that idea.

TR Robb adjustable pellet sizer (177 or 22) may be what you're looking for..

TR Robb adjustable pellet sizer (177 or 22) may be what you're looking for..

Those look fantastic. If only there were products available.

Those look fantastic. If only there were products available.
I saw it couple night ago over there in UK selling.
I think it is push through if my memory serves me well it was long ago when I look into last time.
I don't want push through, I want to control the skirt size because I have 3 different rifling profile in .22.

"The TR Robb sizer doesn't push all the way through- it leaves the skirt wider than the head."
Yep, the inside 'tube' is tapered and it's adjustable by threading the top screw in or out to attain the head size that you're looking for. The taper allows the head to be smaller then the skirt.
I have two, one in .22 and one in .25. They work well IMO.
Mike

Reactions: Stone02
I've sized .22MRDs with the very same intent as yours (make less than optimal batches shoot better). Sadly, even after sizing, the sub par batches still shot sub par. And I gave it a pretty decent effort too, trying various sizes to see if there was some magic there, and also at various distances, but ultimately out to 135 yards. End result? Nope, sizing wasn't the answer.

I used the TR Robb specifically for the reason's mentioned above, preservation of head to skirt ratios (although you'll find that a TR Robb decreases the ratio of head to pellet versus an unsized MRD, ie, the head is still smaller than the skirt, ala taper, but not as much smaller than the skirt as it was prior to sizing).

You may be able to find a particular size that your particular barrel likes. And if you do, please report your findings.

The grand mystery that makes a particular batch of .22 MRDs shoot so much worse than a different batch could not be solved through sizing, at least for me.

The REALLY bad batches get used for offhand practice now. And the semi-bad batches get used for bucket and sticks practice/dope verification. The best batches get reserved for matches.

Franklink you late :( unfortunately...
I ordered the TR Robb last night from UK, for both .22 and .25.... oh well, I will have to go from here.
I totally share your views with MRD's.
Before ordering the TR Robb I was tinkering some other alternate ways as well. But I could not find heavier .22 pellets at my place, so the next:
To make a pellet skirt shaving tool. Something similar like those expensive pellet molds, but not to mold the pellets but to size the pellets (multiple holes like 10 or so in two plates...the lower plate size the head the upper plate size the skirt). And when re-sizing is done remove the upper plate and shave off the rear skirt edges with a knife.
I think the flyers coming not from the head or skirt size, but from uneven length or sharp of the skirt edge. Not much but good enough to kick it off from the POA path.
At 50 meters/yards the flyer is not much harm but at 100 is a @%#$