• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sizing .22 pellets question

15 tins of MRD's what to do with these? ........ I feel sorry not for the money but for a lead and the amount of work I put so far with no results to be proud of.
I will think twice next time buying .22 from JSB. Once I switched to H&N I did not had a single flyer in two monts of shooting over 3K, I tried 16-18 and currently testing/shooting 21 gr. Next week I will test the copper coated 21 to see how those behave.
About next month maybe when I will exhaust the lightweight I will be back to MRD's with resized.

Reactions: 1a2a3m4p
Well I’ll start by saying a 3.5 thou choke is a lot. Too much in my opinion, and potentially a key source of the fliers.....
I could go to my club only today and I was testing HN Baracuda 21's with that same choked .22x600 liner with my Leshiy2 @ 40 Meters.
I could get really impressive group size at speed in between 925 and 935 fps (125 bars).
The next I tried the copper coated 21's, with a same Reg the speed immediately drop to 860. Now this testing was already after the 21 lead pellets. I raised the Reg (143b) for 940 speed, but the copper coated 21's group ugly.
Back to lead pellets, same Reg (143b) speed 990.
Lowered the Reg (132b) for speed 935 and the Baracuda 21 group really tight, almost like a single hole. Interestingly the St.Dev 7.5, and all these with 2x0.6 jets.
So for this my Leshiy2 the Baracuda 21 likes the speed range tightly in range of 925-935. Superior heavy choked x600 liner.
I shot a full tin, unsorted (only washed and lubed), not a single flier. I would really like to keep going with these 21's and leave the MRD's out of game maybe for next gun but that won't be soon with this economy.

Reactions: Stone02
Getting back to OP.
A question to people using NOE pellet sizer.
The picture is very generic at their website, the inserts have a flange, so I assume cannot stack up two sizers on top each other inside the holder?
What I am trying to do is size the head to one OD and size the skirt to larger OD - in a single stroke.
Can the NOE sizer kit do that? I sent them an email with this Q last week but nobody bothered to answer back.

Last night I toke my highest power jewellery lupe to have a closer look at my pellets skirt. And I have seen things.
I have a question now:
It is well known that many of us re-crowning the barrels/liners and the improvements are clearly visible.
I think that is just a half job done.
What if the (casted) pellets have these uneven edges? (don't look at the dent on bottom but the upper edge is pushed out by the punch).

uneven skirt.JPG

I understand that if you cast or swagg your own pellets, before you open the two half on the die, there is a step to shave off the rear of the skirt.
But how to fix it on existing pellets that the punch pushed out the material?

I never toke a jewellery lupe to judge the skirt edge. A bad shape is the same bad effect as a bad crown.
Yesterday morning I was at my 50 meter BR, shooting my Leshiy2 almost two tins of HN Baracuda 21's (washed but unsorted) until the barrel started fulling. I got home, cleaned the gun and had some extra time in my cave lets check out these pellets. Once there I weight sort them as well.
The TRobb seizer is in the mail, I am hoping the pellet pusher is a flat bottom so it can push back the hair edges.

Finally I got the Trrobb pellet sizers I ordered almost 3 weeks ago. Started testing the resized pellets to my liners, both the .22 and tonight the .25 .
And I ran into some issues I never thought about it, emailed my complain back to a sender, wanna wait for he's decision.
The idea resizing the pellets with a conical hole is good, I can see the benefits. But maintaining a surface finish is tricky. A jig grinding shall be used not a lathe.
Edit:
Here is the Trrobb .25 pellet sizer conical hole magnified. These cutter marks inside creating big friction, very hard to push in the JSB 35g pellet and even harder to eject.
cuttermarks.JPG

This is not working well with my brain. Sending back the tool is just adding more money to a postman.
I will try to fix it myself but no lathe on my own, I will have to improvise with that angle inside a cone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezana4CE
Finally I got the Trrobb pellet sizers I ordered almost 3 weeks ago. Started testing the resized pellets to my liners, both the .22 and tonight the .25 .
And I ran into some issues I never thought about it, emailed my complain back to a sender, wanna wait for he's decision.
The idea resizing the pellets with a conical hole is good, I can see the benefits. But maintaining a surface finish is tricky. A jig grinding shall be used not a lathe.
Edit:
Here is the Trrobb .25 pellet sizer conical hole magnified. These cutter marks inside creating big friction, very hard to push in the JSB 35g pellet and even harder to eject.
View attachment 306476

This is not working well with my brain. Sending back the tool is just adding more money to a postman.
I will try to fix it myself but no lathe on my own, I will have to improvise with that angle inside a cone.

I had the same problem with the .22 sizer 6 months or so ago. Sent it back for polishing and it was returned to me in the same condition.
Took it to my tool & die maker and had him polish it out properly. The problem is his tool is old and has not been sharpened lately or preferably replaced.
Works fine when smooth. Start by measuring the pellet of choice at the head and skirt. Start one pellet in from one end slowly and check every .005" depth.
This will get the head correct, Then check the skirt and see what it measures. Maybe it will be what you want. Little work, but worth it.

Edit:
Here is the Trrobb .25 pellet sizer conical hole magnified. These cutter marks inside creating big friction, very hard to push in the JSB 35g pellet and
Darn that's a buzz kill for sure. With modern technology you'd think there was a good cheap way to make great pellets. I didn't sign up to inspect, sort, weight and resize/shape every time I squeeze the trigger.
The quest for better goes on.

Thanks for letting me know, I will not waste my time sending the sizer back to UK and back to me.
I still have a protractor from twenty + years ago when I worked in a tool and die maker shop, today morning measured the pellets that I pushed through the tool. 1 degree angle between the head and skirt, that I found is steep, the pellets falling through the Leshiy2 mag the skirt didn't hold them back.
So I will order a 3 degree tapered four flute cutter (2x1,5) from a machine shop supply store, I have a micro mill and will try DIY.
I will try to fix the cone taper, and that will change the angle as well = head to skirt size ratio.

Good luck and be prepared to spend countless hrs. Making and remaking the PERFECT pellet for your rifle!

I’ve tried just about everything I know to solve this perplexing problem of inconsistency in pellets and trying to make every pellet work like that magic batch that shot light out!

Here’s some of the tools I have used and made, even a self made pellet seater I used for awhile. Some of the CF Benchrest Shooters will recognize the nk. Sizing bushings.

I even made a tool using my sizing press to expand the heads and then bring them back to what ever size I need.

Bottom line: some pellets shoot in your barrel some don’t…
782C1321-CDD9-40A4-9018-12B3528B4B7C.jpeg
BE205FA0-FFB8-4281-A6A1-D1178BECDF59.jpeg

Reactions: bigHUN