• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Size for tethered tank

Thanks @bigHUN, very helpful and actually on topic. :)

Thank you @Humdinger posted a very helpful table and @TN_Yankee posted a link to a thread that, between the two, pretty much cover the topic of understand how the different size ratings systems relate.

A 30 minute SCBA tank is 4.5 liters, 275 ci's, and 49.4 cubic feet of air at 4500 PSI which is 32.9 at 3000 PSI.

I see quite a few references to repurposing SCBA tanks. Are people using expired (> 15 years from the date of manufacture) SCBA tanks? Is this (potentially) an issue at a registered match?

Expired 30 minute SCBA tanks are inexpensive, a great size, perhaps larger than necessary for tethered shooting, and probably safer than some of the Chinese stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DesertSilver
@SteveJewels,

N50 rules forbids tanks on the bench top. However, the gun can be tethered as long as the tank is beside, behind or under the bench. You only need your gun to shoot 25-40 shots to complete one card and then you can fill your gun afterwards. Most N50 shooters, at our club, do not tether but fill between cards.

There is nothing in the N50 rules about using tanks that are out of hydro. Safety gurus would say it’s a big no no however, I suspect many many many shooters are using out of date tanks. The risk is all on you. I am a retired volunteer fire fighter and have never personally ever heard of a tank at our near it’s out of service date failing. Firemen, in general, are NOT gentle handling tanks and they get thrown on, off, in and out of cases and trucks VERY rapidly and the tanks are robustly built to take it. We used Scott and MSA brand tanks at our department. If I were to buy a used tank those two brands would be at the top of my list. The downside to using an out of hydro tank is finding any station or dive shop that will fill it so that task is on you.

Last edited: