• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Single Shot or Multi Shot?

My first pcp was a QB78 converted to air and that was a single shot. I made a second one that I added a repeater kit on. I really liked having a magazine. My next 3 PCPs were magazine guns. I found out real fast how quickly I could go through pellets and air just plinking in my backyard. I am still hand pumping my guns so needless to say I have spent a lot of time and energy charging these guns up.

In order to conserve calories, pellets and air, I switched back to single loading my guns. I did find that I like the process of single loading my guns during a relaxing plinking session in my backyard. I still load up the magazines and shoot like that but the majority of the time I single load. I leave the single shot trays in place on those guns that use them. 

So, my question to you is...

Do you prefer one over the other? Single shot loading or multi shot? Doesn’t matter, whatever the mood or situation requires?

I’m curious to know.

I use the magazines for hunting/pesting, but 90% of the time I single load while plinking or target shooting. My Bantam and Compatto are really easy to single load from either side. Though I have the SST I find single loading easier without. I like the process of single loading and how it forces me to pace my shots. The option to do either or, is important to me. I wouldn’t purchase a single shot PCP rifle, but I do own a single shot pp700sa.

I almost always prefer single loading. Sometimes I dont to change it up. Other exceptions being my sortie semi auto (for obvious reasons) And taking a rifle into the woods for a hunt. Hunting near a building I'll likely have a tin of pellets close by, posted up somewhere.

I have more pcp pistols than rifles. That is what got me to get a 9 litre tank. Pulling out the pump every ~8 shots on my 25 cal got REAL old. I already had a yong heng to charge up my bottle pcp. I dont think I even have $400 invested between the tank and comp. Well worth it.

I too like single loading for plinking in my yard, slows down each shot and makes the tins last longer.

1584330232_11718164965e6ef5f8259b12.71082848.JPG
1584330270_15820758825e6ef61ec60778.73030522.JPG

Wow! I am really surprised at how many prefer to single load. I honestly thought that it would be the other way around.

If I had a compressor or a tank that was convenient to get filled, I would probably use a magazine more than I do but I think that I would still single load most of the time. I really do like the process of loading and shooting one at a time. I feel it helps me to focus more on each shot.

I prefer to single load but it's not practical on the Uragan, luckily the mag is easy to use. And the wildcats are a hybrid. Since the mag is exposed on the right side, I can take two shots, load 2 pellets, and repeat. Those mags never come out of the guns. The other few are SS only.... 

The only real objection I have to mags is the Marauder type with the rotating face.... simply won't buy a gun that needs that style

People always bring up this topic. I see no different on single load or mag load. I can still get 1/2in at 50 yards and 1 in at 100 yards. So idk what the fuss is about. Is .000000001 mm more accurate from single load really worth the fuss? I always use a mag and would not buy a pcp without a mag.

Its not about the accuracy for me, I simply like the consistent/steady repetition of loading a pellet vs stopping my shooting to load the mag. Not a hunter but certainly understand the benefit of a mag when in the field.