Single loading sucks at 15 F / -10 C but had to test 177 Hades and Knockouts

It is late and I need to head to bed, have the first job of two tomorrow. All goes well, next week I put in the two weeks notice for a substantially better job (in my field) that will pay substantially more.

Anyways, today I went out to my permission portion facing towards the as far as I can see potato fields. I set up my pocket zero target holder and did groups at 25, 50 and 75 yards with the JSB Hades using Glimmer (RTI Prophet Performance Compact). Velocity 850 FPS (Disclaimer I am a terrible group shooter.) I was shooting off the hood of Bob (my car) and standing in snow an ice. Glimmer’s magazine broke, waiting for a replacement, and so all single loading, so no gloves. Temperature was 15 F / -10 C with a 5 mph / 8 kph breeze. So damn cold.

I fired 10 shots per card at each distance using the the Hades, the 25 yard groups were around dime. At 50 yards 3/4” groups with holdover about 1 to 1.5 hashes. The groups at 75 yards, whole different story, and it opened my eyes up to the drop the hades has at that distance and why though I am hitting the doves, I am not anchoring the doves at 75 yards using the hades.

The few shots I have taken on doves at 75 yards have hit the birds and I see them tumble in the distance or land your choice, made me wonder if I had the right hold over, today said nope. I was using 4 hash marks, now I realize I need 6 to 7 for the proper lob and impact. Groups, well no comment just happy to figure out my drop.

While shooting at the stockyard I had my groupies watching and found what was left of a few of the pigeons I left for the neighborhood creatures.

1FC86BB2-D4CA-40D3-9B43-90A93EDA4F97.1642645449.jpeg
3BC6FA95-5447-43F0-B34F-338DD03F49B6.1642645450.jpeg

Before I left the stockyard I loaded up some of the 177 JSB 13.4 gr. Knockouts that @intenseaty22 sent me to try out in Glimmer. HOWEVER, I didn’t want to mess with the regulator so I only adjusted the hammer spring. I chronyed it to 810 FPS or around 19 FPE. I wanted to see if I was on paper and I was, so I thought to head to the main dairy to find some doves, starlings, or something. Well….

I get to the main dairy and there were critters, but it was the owners Yellow Lab who jumped up on the side of the car to great me, muddy dog paws now paint car. Anyways, he is a sweet pup and will make a great hunter. I glass the dairy and see nothing, but Bob, Glimmer and I venture in, well we saw plenty of creatures, but the cows don’t count. I didn’t see ONE bird, minus the magpies, again which don’t count. So I drove to the back of the dairy to try the knockouts at 50 yards, and the sun was setting too, so temps really started to drop, but less wind.

Well, I set up the target again at 50 yards and ended up noticing two things, one the slugs are shooting flatter than hades at that distance and there is potential. I shot about 15 shots, and though it was kind of “splattery” there were several slug on slug clusters. Remember the cold and I said I suck at groups, and need to practice more. Efficiency plummeted compared to the hades, but I think if I mess with the regulator / hammer spring I could get a decent tune to improve efficiency and tighten the groups up. Overall spread 1 to 1.5 inches, nothing great but its a start.

Now to head to bed. Cheers all and thanks for reading.

D8A9E186-CF81-48AB-A089-51664E56F22D.1642646116.jpeg
09CB6AAB-5B36-4A64-9E32-732A701ECC34.1642646117.jpeg