• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Single cartridge CO2 airgun

I am new here but not to airguns. I've been shooting airguns since the 60's and started working on and modifying them in the 80's. I'm now in my early 70's and am beginning to have issues that makes shooting some airguns uncomfortable. With my back, neck, and shoulder issues even shooting lower powered spring guns can be an issue at times.

Years ago I had several TAU 200 seniors and really enjoyed shooting them. They have become difficult to locate and am wondering if there would be an accurate single cartridge alternative to the TAU 200 or if someone knows of a TAU for sale. 

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Crosman 2300S

935A7D9C-A1B4-44EC-B4D6-631E08325EE4.1647909653.jpeg

I haven’t seen one of those for sale in quite a while. Have you ever looked at the Beeman QB 78? That’s the only gun that I can think of at the moment that would be similar. It takes two cartridges though. There is a lot of CO2 rifles that take two nowadays. You can always put one full and one empty one in there.That’s what I do on one of my guns. 

I'm too shaky anymore to use a pistol and never was very good with them. I've have had several different versions of the QB series of guns and they are good guns but not as accurate or as heavy as the TAU's which helps me stabilize the gun. I do have a FWB-300 for keeping English sparrows and Starlings off the Purple Martins houses but cocking it numerous times in a row like for target practice gets uncomfortable were as the Tau can get many shots off of one cartridge. Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the suggestions. 

I recently had neck surgery with vertebrae fusions and my shoulder is next.

Cvans,
I have at least a decade on you and seems have followed a similar path. While I have converted several Crosman C02 pistols to carbines, and you can buy longer tubes for two tube shooting, you are ready for pcp. They do everything you like but much better. Plan on buying a self contained compressor for about $350 and a whole new world of shooting will be opened up to you. I could go on…..

Tom

Not many Co2 rifles around anymore and with all of the logistics problems we have these days even fewer are actually available to purchase.

I would suggest the USA made Crosman 2250 or 2260 but looks like Crosman no longer makes these extremely popular guns? They downgraded their site, to make it less useful for us on-line shoppers, as well so they deserve the loss in business which I imagine is a big one.

The American made guns were more accurate.

You mention the QB78, which seems to still be available, In one form or another.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/beeman-ar2078a-co2-target-rifle?m=4067

The Diana Chaser is also available.

https://www.pyramydair.com/product/diana-chaser-co2-air-rifle-kit?m=4613

And yet another Co2 rifle.

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/snow-peak-multi-shot-co2-air-rifle-cr600w/

Then there is the Umarex Fusion which I know nothing about.

https://www.airgundepot.com/umarex-fusion-2-co2-air-rifle.html

Me, I try not to buy China made guns and buy as little as I possibly can from the country.

I would have to agree with Tomygun1. It looks like you are due for your first visit to the Dark side and the money pit to me.

An inexpensive PCP rifle and a Yong Heng at $700-$1000 and you are set for many years of fun and spending.

For a compact, lightweight and accurate C02 powered carbine I really like the Diana Chaser with Butt Stock Kit (about $145 at Pyramid Air). I added a CVLIFE 1X22X33 Red Green Dot Gun Sight Scope Reflex Sight ($30 at Amazon) and use a low profile 11mm/Weaver-to-20mm dovetail adapter ($10-$15 at Amazon) to mount the reflex site. I have both the .177 cal. version for indoor plinking and also the .22 cal. model for outdoors. The moderator included with the Chaser does a decent job of sound reduction. If you need more sound reduction there's a 1/2x20" UNF barrel adapter available which will allow you to add other moderators made by DonnyFL, 0db or other brands. 

My total cost one Diana Chaser with butt stock + Red/Green Reflex Sight + Weaver Adapter + 40 count of Crosman C02 cartridges + Pellets + Taxes & Shipping rounds out to $250. I'm getting 30 full power shots at 500fps on my .22 cal. Chaser. EXTRAPOLATED TOTAL COST OF AIR GUN FUN = .21 per shot [averaged over 1,200 shots] 

Hope this helps - Have fun & enjoy! 

You're welcome. Lot's of knowledgeable and experienced air gunners here @ AGN and sharing information is helpful and encouraged.

If you're looking for a well built C02 air rifle with more traditional styling you might want to look at the Umarex 850M2 CO2 Air Rifle. One of my neighbors purchased one from PyramidAir.com and loves it. It's made in Germany, has open sites and weighs just under 6# which is a little less than the TAU-200 you mentioned. It uses the 88gr C02 or Umarex 12g CO2 Adapter which uses two 12gr Co2 cartridges. My neighbor mentioned his .177 cal. rifles yields 200 shots from the 88gr CO2 bottle. Hope you let us know what you end up with. 

I'm looking more into options and some that have been suggested are very interesting. 

This one is very attractive. https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/snow-peak-multi-shot-co2-air-rifle-cr600w/  

The Umarex Fusion would be a good option as I could machine a slug to replace one of the CO2 cylinders. The only thing that repels me is that suppressor. I shouldn't let it bother me but it does. Maybe it's easily removed?

I had at one time a Daisy 888 that used the 88gr cylinders. I liked the gun well enough but the trigger was not up to the rest of the guns standards. I still have the nurse tank and fittings to recharge them. The 12gr cylinders are just a lot less to mess with. 

There are a couple older Daisy and Crosman guns that I'm looking into also. 

60688CA4-591D-4647-BC58-C4C57D964765.1648035114.jpeg
Cvans, also look into the AirArms T-200, I have a S-200 with the CZ barrel and it’s really accurate. One hole at 17 yards with the JSB 10.34 pellets. It has a nice trigger too.
For the price you get a lot in my opinion, although they aren’t power houses.

I also have the add on magazine kit to make it a repeater, but I took it off because it affected the accuracy. It was still very accurate with the magazine, just not one hole at the 17 yard target anymore.

I agree with the compressor advice, once you have that covered your ready for hours of fun.

Have a great time with your search!

Thanks Dave. Those are nice looking guns but would hate to leave one out in the shop for pest control and I'm not ready to invest in nor have a desire to be involved with the support equipment needed for PCP. If one hole accuracy is needed I do have the FWB-300 that can do that. Lifting the darn thing repeatedly is the only issue. I do have a short bi-pod on it which helps eliminate some of that. It is not a closet queen but has a heart of gold. Last I checked it was shooting RWS super domes over 600fps with one hole accuracy. 

FWB 300 001.1648069161.JPG

I'm just a cheap plinker, but I have a couple of CO2 rifles.

The first is the Gamo Fusion. Has a 9 round rotary magazine with bolt action. No iron sights so you need a scope. Takes two cylinders. It's a decent rifle, but very hefty, though the weight is pretty well balanced. Given your health situation though, and surgeries, I wouldn't recommend it.

I also have a Crosman 1077. This has a 12-round rotary magazine that actually fits into a removable box magazine. Little quirky, but nice. Take a single CO2 cylinder. Has decent iron sights, but can take a scope. Easy to load, easy to use. Just buy extra rotary magazines because you'll want to shoot and shoot and shoot. Its also light enough that I don't think you'll have any problems with it if you're just removing some pest birds. And the price, at least in the US, is rediculously cheap. With the right pellet, I can get 1/4" (6 mm) groupings at 10 m. I actually got it for my little wife so she could plink along with me. And I do mean little and she's able to handle it easily.

Just my two cents.

Cvans,

I hear what you are saying but I think you are cheating yourself by focusing on Co2 when for old guys like me and you the pcp rifles are better in all respects. I shot my Crosman 2300S Co2 carbine conversion 20mins ago and I like it, but My Diana Stormrider pcp cost me less, is an offhand lightweight rifle, and well made and a better choice. I also have higher grade pcp,s but for $350 the plastic stock Avenger is also light weight, and can be dialed to any thing from barn shooting, target shooting, or 75yd hunting.
AA77AE2F-EA41-456D-9475-4F1C61D346FA.1648089651.jpeg

Reactions: Motomem