simple question why..

If you watch the factory tours of JSB and H&N, you'll see large vats of melted lead cooking away. My first thought, seeing this, was, what about emissions? Seems lead has, and continues to be, phased out of almost everything in the United States and I think the EPA would take a hard look at any company cooking big vats of the stuff on a daily basis. It's possible that smokestack scrubbers, if anything like that exists for lead removal, might be pretty expensive to purchase and maintain, maybe more than a US based pellet company could turn a profit with. Just my speculations as to why US pellet manufacturers are so scarce. 

WM

I wouldnt be surprised if the American slug makers had rhe slugs cast overseas and reworked over here just to stay out of the EPA eyes. Swaging and forming is not a big issue, but cooking that lead takes lots of restrictions and would make it cost prohibitive. I dont know this for a fact, but there is a lot of American manufacturing being done with the questionable part of the mfgr being done overseas then shipped to US for final assembly so we can say made in america !!

Gonna have to lean towards what AirShot said. I'd like to see a video by AEAC of the new NSA facility, if he cares to make one, and he gets an invite. Healthservices might have hit the nail on the head as to why NSA just left California. (I heard California will be banning small engines soon.) Again, I'd speculate the overseas edge to pellet manufacture might be less stringent air quality standards and a more plentiful pool of workers willing to work in such a place. The JSB factory was teeming with workers and I don't recall seeing much in the way of PPEs.

WM

It takes money to design, test, money for plant, money for raw materials, money for marketing and building a dealer network. Someone has to believe enough in the potential to make money enough to risk enough to setup production and build that first batch. Even a current bullet manufacturer has to have enough confidence to build the plant, design the pellet and build that dealer network. It's a lot of work and money.

Saltlake58,

Do you think it's possible some of the overseas companies had some government subsidy or land/building donations that helped them establish such highly expensive operations? Or, possibly, some sort of government/private partnership that helped finance the startup? I've heard some great things about the recently passed founder of JSB, just curious how he managed getting such a successful company started.

WM

As a child always carried follow up shots for my pellet gun in my mouth. I would have two or three pellets in my mouth. All that time and the lead has had no effect on me. All that time and the lead has had no effect on me. All that time and the lead has had no effect on me. All that time and the lead has had no effect on me

HA! Love it :)

If you watch the factory tours of JSB and H&N, you'll see large vats of melted lead cooking away. My first thought, seeing this, was, what about emissions? Seems lead has, and continues to be, phased out of almost everything in the United States and I think the EPA would take a hard look at any company cooking big vats of the stuff on a daily basis. It's possible that smokestack scrubbers, if anything like that exists for lead removal, might be pretty expensive to purchase and maintain, maybe more than a US based pellet company could turn a profit with. Just my speculations as to why US pellet manufacturers are so scarce. 

WM

I don't think emissions are an issue with lead. When it's in it's liquid form (melted), there are fumes, but they're not creating carbon emissions as there's no conversion process from one organic form to another creating airborne carbon when the heat is being applied (1st law of thermodynamics). Also, they recycle lead from batteries and manufacture lead acid batteries still in the United States, and lead battery facilities use FAR MORE lead than a pellet manufacturer does.

Necessity is the mother of invention. If JSB pellets stop coming in from the EU, or if they're a non lead blend and they don't perform well, then perhaps one of the pellet manufacturers in the US will take over production of the Diablo style pellets. JSB might even be willing to share the cost or sell the patented design as long as they get a royalty. Who knows.

TrinityMaker,

Not thinking so much of carbon emissions, more of lead fumes. I know they took lead from gasoline because tailpipe lead emissions were harmful. There might be a difference between an engine burning lead and lead smelting emissions, just seems similar to me. Agreed, lead battery manufacture would generate more lead fumes, wonder if lead is processed into plates in another country and just assembled as batteries here? I think every member of this forum is concerned with an EU lead ban, however, don't know anyone getting rid of airguns, just yet. As you say, "necessity is the mother of invention," hopefully an answer will come.

WM