• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Silver FX Impact .30 in the house.

Finally got my Impact yesterday, I'd been out of town for a bit so it sat at UPS for a while waiting for me.

Opened the box and was pleasantly surprised by a very cool looking rifle. I know we've all seen the pictures, but to hold one in my hands was a whole other experience. I LIKE!

First up, like a good little customer I got the instructions out and started reading...who am I kidding??...got pellets out and started flinging them at traps. 15yds, no problem, 50yds, it's on bulls, 75 yds, a little ragged, but the trigger is kind of on the light side so I'm not getting a distinct 2 stage the way I'm used to, just a long pull and it breaks. I know it's all adjustable, so I'm not too worried about it. I can tell I'm messing up the shot. Even so, at 50yds it's a ragged hole.

It's so stinkin' hot out though that I had to put it away after a few mags. Just testing it out. Seems to operate just fine.

These pellets look monstrous compared to the littler .177 ones I've been using lately in the PP700S-A. The .30 is HUGE

FYI: with the Athlon and a full Sideshot mag in it, it weighs 9.1lbs, w/ bipod it's just shy of 10lbs.

Not sure I like the FX rings though, I keep having to pick up head up a little to get a clear sight picture. I'm thinking some low rings will be going in, get the scope down a little more.

If it weren't for the flawed finish (which I've accepted and moved on), I'd be thrilled, scratch that, I AM thrilled. It's a fantastic machine that's for sure. Going to be a lot of fun killing spoons, paper and the occasional critter. First tin of pellets is nearly gone. It's a hungry beast for sure. Callin 'er 'Thumper'.

a195b562259093b04eef18a204c2219c.jpg

05109bc90792a69184091f5143055ab7.jpg

67f042282d1261d6f03a90e080660677.jpg

9afeced91f3fdcb1114387a4841182a0.jpg

Reactions: Michael
I've got to get serious about tuning, though to be honest, it is already blowing out the center of the target at 50 yds and doing pretty decent at 75 too.

I've got to adjust the trigger to make it like I'm used to. My other two guns (AA S510 and FX Streamline) both have a small pull of the first stage, then it stiffens up just before breaking so I know exactly when it will break. The Impact has a similar first stage, then it breaks at the same (or nearly the same) pull pressure. So I'm having some premature firing - like, I'm not quite ready for it to go off. I know this is easily adjustable so am not worried. Talked to AOA late yesterday about which screw and how much, missed the return call but he left a lengthy voicemail on what to do. Just have to do it. Then I'll get some groups.

Here's a couple strings over the chrony

I did the hammer adjustment thing peeps talk about where it gets to the maximum by adjusting that little screw. Made a little difference ~8-10fps, but destroyed the string length by 13 pellets.

The first couple in the first string are bad b/c I had part of the chrony in full sunlight, once I moved it a little so it was in the shade it settled down.

Also, I'm not getting a full 250bar fill from my scuba tank. It was full when I got the Impact, have filled about 6 times now and am down to 3200psi. Wasn't but 3300psi when I started so I didn't get a full fill at the shop - probably the norm. Will talk to them about overfilling a tad. Sadly, I've blown the budget w/ the Impact so a 4500psi $750 CF tank just isn't in the cards right now.
63e7024c33ef84aa493ed99a1777fdf0.jpg

19bfe559ea5dd6ba022bed5cb8cbc095.jpg

Here I back off the power wheel.

First is Power 5 (the flyer is from a double feed)
ea9666e3e1983747534ae894ce0e9e4e.jpg

Then power 4
1f2831ee2e1547f49c26ccbed64332db.jpg

I'm not sure I helped things by 'turning up' the power.

Pretty clear it doesn't like the lower pressure I'm getting from the scuba tank as the string is really short. The impact is really thirsty! I'd get 20+ fills on my smaller guns.

Next, I'll try some groupings.

What do y'all think about the FX no-limits rings? Are they Really better? I see AOA has the rear sight elevated .0325" on my Impact.
Honestly, when I grab'n'go I'm having to lift my head off the cheek rest to get a clear sight picture. The scope is too tall for my natural position.
I've got a set of lower rings I could put on, but they obviously don't have the 'no-limits' feature.

Should I learn to modify my position or just switch rings and deal with the lack of the 'no-limits'?

FX No-Limit rings are definitely better! I had troubles with my Hawke Sidewinder scope, since I could not zero due to the scope adjustment limits, shimming was necessary. With NoLimit rings you can angle scope so precisely, that 0 settings could much middle position of your turrets on the scope, which is the most optimal for the scope I guess.

Here's 50yds on a pretty breezy day. 9 shots. First one was the bull, I think it was pulled a little as the others were higher. The rest are one ragged hole a little bigger than a quarter. Really need to get the mower out as the weeds were waiving in front of me. Yesterday I deliberately clipped a weed - got it too :D

I still haven't adjusted the trigger. There's a distinct catch now that I can detect, but it's very slight and the rifle still goes off unexpectedly sometimes so this is NOT the best I can do. Ran out of time to do more + it's stinkin hot here.

I did go to the scuba shop and fill my tank. Even talked them into a slight overfill, so I'll have 3600psi to play with for 1-2 cycles anyway.

Power level screw adjusted to max out the power, then dialed back to #4 as it seemed like it was wasting a lot.
24 shots from a 3000psi fill, AVG of 841fps & 78.9fpe.

7b7a6ef3537bbc8f2c6b5864635b81de.jpg

I went to put the Vortex Optics Low rings on and couldn't get one of them tight on the picatinny rail. After careful inspection it seems the c'bore on the little clamp was too deep and this pulled the bottom of the clamp thru. :'(
No doubt this is why I had trouble with accuracy when it was on my AR10. It kicks like a mule and no doubt was shaking the snot out of the scope.

I've got it all setup and I really like how it feels now, much better with the scope a little lower and a lot more eye relief than AOA setup. Just have to wait on a replacement from Vortex on the little clamp part. They said it should be here Thursday. Warranty of course.

I may try to shoot it as I have things pretty snug and it's holding fairly tight. That and there's very little recoil w/ the Impact.

I received the little clamppy thing. Works just fine now. Reached out to 160 yards and shot a plastic Easter egg filled with baby powder. Took me about a 10 shots to find the bull in the practice target and two to hit the egg. Will be trying on an official AGD golf ball as soon as they arrive Wednesday.

Happy camper. Really like the Impact.

Finally got to it this afternoon and wanted to adjust that second stage. Pulled up the voicemail from AOA and listened, twice. Got to work.

A 2mm stripped and so did a 5/64, what on earth?? Called AOA and waited on hold 20 minutes, no one ever came on so I got to work on the next size up allen key and a dremel. Whittled it down to a size that would fit the screw and made an adjustment. Fired it, no change. A little more, no change. A little more, now the 2nd stage was distinct. Shot at 75yd trap a few times. Had it a little too hard. Adjusted back some, shot, adjusted again and now it's just right. I feel like Goldilocks. 

Continued plinking at 75yds until wifey was due home and put it away 'till tomorrow.

When I do my part it's making a ragged hole at 75yds. I've got some practicing to do, but I'm pretty happy so far.

Got some work done today with the Impact. First up was that silly golf ball. It finally showed up today w/ some pellets and I eagerly loaded up for an attempt at 175 yards.

My wife and I used the tape measure to get the distance, 520 ft to the edge of the road. Meant my table had to be somewhere in the middle of the road to be 175 yards. LOL, my neighbors had to be wondering what on earth I was doing with a table and chair and gun out in the middle of the street. I'm sure the mail lady was.

Surprising how little energy the pellet has at 175 yards. Wouldn't even go thru a 3/4" sheet of plywood. Fully embedded and some damage on the back side, but none went all the way thru. Does make me wonder if it could be tuned to fling these pellets faster, maybe 900fps. Currently right around 840fps. Can't say I know much about how the air is flowing over a pellet, maybe 840 is as fast as this pellet will fly with stability. IDK. 

Anyway, got that done and wasn't out of energy for the Impact so I decided to get it dialed back in at 50 yds after messing everything up for the AGD Challenge.

475c1c507bbf43eada078ac3be18223c.jpg

The blasted out center and the patch dots represent getting it dialed back in at 50. The rest are 3 shot combinations on each little bullseye. As you can see, the Impact is easily grouping inside a dime when I do my part. Then it started to sprinkle and the forecast is Rain so I wiped it down and put it up.

I'm quite happy with the way it runs. Quite the little tack driver and capable of long range work as well. Next I'll practice at 75 and 100 yards as I think it'll be effective out to those distances too.