• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Silicone Vs. Pellgun Oil

PG oil to my knowledge is automatic transmission fluid, highly flammable especially under pressure. Silicone oil is not flammable and sometimes call chamber oil. PG oil is used to lubricate the o-rings and seals in CO2 guns. Silicone oil can also be used. But do not use PG oil where you would want to use silicone oil such as a chamber on a springer. I have used automatic transmission fluid on my CO2 guns for years and years without any consequences.

Pellgun oil is marketed by Crosman for their airguns. In the past I found it to eventually dry up enough to leave a crusty residue. I don't know if the more recent stuff is the same formula.

Long ago, Tim at Mac-1 introduced me to the "special sauce" lubricant that he sells for pumpers and co2 guns and it's all I've used since. A mixture of motorcycle fork oil and non-detergent gear oil is much the same thing. A small amount of the fork oil is absorbed by the o-rings and it keeps them pliable. The gear oil component provides good lubrication. Transmission fluid is also very seal friendly.

I don't know enough about silicone oil to offer any info on it.

J~

PG oil is flammable and not to be use in High pressure areas, good for lube on moving parts outside of High pressure areas, Silicone oil is nonflammable in High pressure areas and good for lubing seals in the High pressure chambers of the gun, Use Silicone oil in PCP High pressure system such as the fill hose adapters and fill probes, also good to lube the fill port valve, I use 5-10 drops every 10 fills to keep the O-rings lubed, I use gun oil on moving parts outside the pressurized system like the hammer, bolt and side lever mechanism

^ That. Here's a chart that show the temps and pressures.

CO2Pressure4.gif

J~

Silicone is for synthetic seals & not for metal-on-metal.
The above is incorrect information.

Here are the facts for 100% Silicone oil.
100% silicone oil will not effect metal, plastic, rubber or any other material.

100% silicone oil has 5 (five) main properties:

1)
it is very very slippery.
2) It coats almost all materials it comes into contact with. (Silicone oil cannot deal with polar molecules such as fuels, and paint thinners, strong acids and Bases.) None of which are in your air gun.
3) It displaces water (H2O), water moisture cannot exist in a 100% silicone oil environment. It will evaporate or slide off.
4) The SI molecules are so small and tightly packed together the UV rays cannot pernitrate the coating.
5) The operating temp of 100% silicone oil is -58 degrees F to +393 degrees F.

These are the facts of 100% silicone oil.

Last edited:

PTFE "Teflon"​

Teflon and PFOA​

Staying in the body for long periods of time, PFOA exposure can cause increased cholesterol and have negative effects on the thyroid, liver, and immune system. Exposure to this compound may also cause low infant birth weights and harmful effects on developing fetuses or breastfeeding babies.
Plus Teflon never goes away, it stays in your gun and the environment forever, it will build up in your gin. The waste product "PFOA" is now found in the oceans and waters of the World.
Although the current science says "Teflon" is harmless; scientists said the same thing about "cigarettes" and "Teflon coated cooking ware".
So I will stick with 100% silicone oil thank you very much.

Last edited:

PTFE "Teflon"​

Teflon and PFOA​

Staying in the body for long periods of time, PFOA exposure can cause increased cholesterol and have negative effects on the thyroid, liver, and immune system. Exposure to this compound may also cause low infant birth weights and harmful effects on developing fetuses or breastfeeding babies.
Plus Teflon never goes away, it stays in the environment forever. The waste product "PFOA" is now found in the oceans and waters of the World.
Although the current science says "Teflon" is harmless; scientists said the same thing about "cigarettes" and "Teflon coated cooking ware".
So I will stick with 100% silicone oil thank you very much.
Well, when we care so much about health, first examine your blood and muscle tissue, you will find nano plastic and other poisons, I can guarantee that, because the living environment is poisoned. Plastic fabrics, plastic-coated food, rainwater and groundwater are full of nano poisons, check this information is available. Of course when you use PTFE lubricant you will use skin and eye protection. Good luck

The above is incorrect information.

Here are the facts for 100% Silicone oil.
100% silicone oil will not effect metal, plastic, rubber or ant other material.

100% silicone oil has 5 (five) main properties:

1)
it is very very slippery.
2) It coats almost all materials it comes into contact with. (Silicone oil cannot deal with polar molecules such as fuels, and paint thinners, strong acids and Bases.) None of which are in your air gun.
3) It displaces water (H2O), water moisture cannot exist in a 100% silicone oil environment. It will evaporate or slide off.
4) The SI molecules are so small and tightly packed together the UV rays cannot pernitrate the coating.
5) The operating temp of 100% silicone oil is -58 degrees F to +393 degrees F.

These are the facts of 100% silicone oil.
Thanks for correcting me. I assumed what I had learned about silicone was true in regard to metal on metal in pcp airguns. Will research.

Thanks for correcting me. I assumed what I had learned about silicone was true in regard to metal on metal in pcp airguns. Will research.
Gerry52: I did not mean to be harsh, only factual so forgive me if I was a little pointed. (By the way the first response the Airgun Nation site went into code mode that's why the two responses). And yes, 100% Silicone has no disadvantages for Air/CO2 guns. I suppose the only choice is the viscosity of the oil (thickness). I prefer a viscosity of 50 for the CO2 chambers and a lower viscosity for BBs only.
I have been using it for years on my air/CO2 BB/pellet Guns. All of my CO2 guns are working with no rust, stoppages, leaking, loading issues et. Some of them are more than... well several decades old by now.

Gerry52: I did not mean to be harsh, only factual so forgive me if I was a little pointed. (By the way the first response the Airgun Nation site went into code mode that's why the two responses). And yes, 100% Silicone has no disadvantages for Air/CO2 guns. I suppose the only choice is the viscosity of the oil (thickness). I prefer a viscosity of 50 for the CO2 chambers and a lower viscosity for BBs only.
I have been using it for years on my air/CO2 BB/pellet Guns. All of my CO2 guns are working with no rust, stoppages, leaking, loading issues et. Some of them are more than... well several decades old by now.
Never took it as harsh pal. LAST thing I want to do is disseminate incorrect info. I appreciated you clearing that up for me (y) Thanks!

Reactions: MAUMAU