Tuning Silicone Lube for Assembly?

Airgun Al

Dec 6, 2023
usa
Just wondering what's everyones choice of brand, for silicone lube, for re-assembling PCP's and O-rings?
My old tube has grown legs, and is no longer around, so Id like to order a new tube.
I dont need a large amount.
What is everyone useing these days, and is it available in a small amount?
Thanks in advance.

Danco silicone faucet grease can be found in the plumbing dept of any hardware store

but I prefer the oil, I have 55wt and 22.5 wt in shock oil for them there RC cars, bought off fleabay, cause I don't know if there is a local store for RC stuff
the 2 ounce bottle is plenty for our needs

Krytox GPL 205 PTFE grease. Expensive, but a little bit goes a long ways. This is top shelf stuff and the best product for moving o-rings. Pure silicone grease (SuperLube) is generally used for static, non-moving o-rings, and can be found in the electrical section of the automotive or hardware stores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Airgun Al
For anyone interested, Zoro Tools seems to be the best price per ounce for Krytox GPL-205 grease. Well worth the initial outlay of cash for a 2 oz tube if you are into your guns a lot and swapping out o-rings.

• Wow
Last I understand, silicone "base" is made by two companies.

Then other companies buy the base silicone, and add their recipe to it . Mostly to thicken it to a given viscosity mostly for RC cars (radio controlled) shock oil. This can be bought in various viscosities (thickness). Some also add other base greases, like the silicone / moly grease that works well for many air gun applications.

As mentioned above the Krytox grease is a different animal. For their "vacuum" grease , it's...expensive. While I was still working (Northrop Grumman), we used that for sealing all of the vacuum chambers used for various testing.

Again, don't be too concerned where you buy your silicone, (last I heard) it comes from one of two companies.

Me, I use the silicone/moly paste, and the RC car shock oil.

Mike

For anyone interested, Zoro Tools seems to be the best price per ounce for Krytox GPL-205 grease. Well worth the initial outlay of cash for a 2 oz tube if you are into your guns a lot and swapping out o-rings.

I see its available in a 5 gallon bucket for $18,000 !
Im clueless about the differences in silicone oils to be honest.
Perhaps I should research the MSDS sheets for various silicones, to see exactly what the differences are.
I see prices all over the place, as inexpensive as $2.10 per ounce shipped from China, to this more expensive Krytox brand.
Im certain there are differences, but what exactly is beyond me???
Is there anything unique, or special about the Krytox brand?
I simply need a small amount, to have on hand, specifically for air guns.... o-rings, barrel swaps, re-assembly, etc.
As others have already mentioned, liquid seems like it would be better suited for air guns, as opposed to a thicker grease, although either would probably work!

Last I understand, silicone "base" is made by two companies.

Then other companies buy the base silicone, and add their recipe to it . Mostly to thicken it to a given viscosity mostly for RC cars (radio controlled) shock oil. This can be bought in various viscosities (thickness). Some also add other base greases, like the silicone / moly grease that works well for many air gun applications.

As mentioned above the Krytox grease is a different animal. For their "vacuum" grease , it's...expensive. While I was still working (Northrop Grumman), we used that for sealing all of the vacuum chambers used for various testing.

Again, don't be too concerned where you buy your silicone, (last I heard) it comes from one of two companies.

Me, I use the silicone/moly paste, and the RC car shock oil.

Mike
Thanks! You posted your response, as I was typeing mine!

For your needs with static o-rings, a bit of SuperLube or any pure silicone grease from the hardware store will work just fine. Even a small foil packet of spark plug grease will work great if used correctly. It's when you go down the proverbial "airgun rabbit hole" that you're likely to want to invest in the Krytox or something similar. Here's a breakdown of Krytox oil and it's packaging.

Screenshot_20240208-002522~2.png