Silicon lube alternatives

@Ssgmac ,
You didn't say specifically what application, but If you're talking lubricant for seals and o-rings, no need to go any further than the automotive spark plug dielectric grease. You can get the Permatex stuff at your local auto parts store or off Amazon for cheap. I've also used Danco silicone grease in the plumbing section from home stores, sold for faucets and such. Also works great for your landscape lighting connectors, excluding oxygen and moisture from any electrical connectors in your engine or just about any modern electronics driven doohickey that has connectors.

If you are into radio, the dielectric grease is great for putting inside your PL 259/ UHF connectors before taping to keep the contact surfaces clean and moisture-free.

And as @Sharp Pog mentioned, dielectric grease is great to lubricate the aluminum threads on light bulb bases to keep them from seizing up in the sockets, especially in fixtures that don't get changed often or in outdoor floodlight fixtures where there might be moisture. It says become less of an issue these days with the new LED bulbs producing less heat inside the fixture.

Regards,
Feinwerk

Reactions: Ssgmac
The best thing for your metal to metal parts is dry graphite. Keeps things slick and won’t attract dust and dirt like typical lubes can.
Absolutely true. We used it on our $5,000 pinewood derby cars, yes you read that right, and that was one of the cheap ones.....we took it seriously at my former company.

Reactions: darylm and Ssgmac
@Ssgmac ,
You didn't say specifically what application, but If you're talking lubricant for seals and o-rings, no need to go any further than the automotive spark plug dielectric grease. You can get the Permatex stuff at your local auto parts store or off Amazon for cheap. I've also used Danco silicone grease in the plumbing section from home stores, sold for faucets and such. Also works great for your landscape lighting connectors, excluding oxygen and moisture from any electrical connectors in your engine or just about any modern electronics driven doohickey that has connectors.

If you are into radio, the dielectric grease is great for putting inside your PL 259/ UHF connectors before taping to keep the contact surfaces clean and moisture-free.

And as @Sharp Pog mentioned, dielectric grease is great to lubricate the aluminum threads on light bulb bases to keep them from seizing up in the sockets, especially in fixtures that don't get changed often or in outdoor floodlight fixtures where there might be moisture. It says become less of an issue these days with the new LED bulbs producing less heat inside the fixture.

Regards,
Feinwerk
Good point. I guess I'm just talking about punching the barrel and lubing the pellets. I remember buying 2 different kinds of lubes for my RWS 460 MAGNUM way back when I got it. One synthetic, the other silicone. They each specified what they were to be used for.

When I got my first PCP, (Benjamin Discovery) I asked if there was any other specific oil for it and the dealer said to just use the RWS stuff. I thought he meant the silicone. Years later, I got another PCP (FX Revolution). I could only get it online and didn't receive any lube warnings. I had been punching the barrel and lubing my pellets with petroleum based lube, having completely forgotten about the special RWS lube that had apparently been "liberated" by the pirates I had been shooting with up at my dad's cabin.

I'm just now getting back into the sport. I got a new PCP (Western Airguns Sidewinder) and I don't want to mess it up or void any warranty, although, my FX Revolution still works as well as it did when I got it. It still holds pressure and as far as I can tell, it's still a tack hammer but I've haven't taken it to the range to do any real shooting in years.

I've got a pint or so of Juki sewing machine oil which is whale oil. I wonder ...?🤔

Thanks for your reply