Silent Thunder Ordnance

Ah, gotcha. Run that formula he has on there to determine which flow you need. You might be surprised, if it is a bare barreled gun. I'm pretty sure he can do a custom bore for ya though. Good luck with the project!

thanks! Hope he will email me back and can do small bore/caliber. I have an old style sumo in .22 that’s is super quiet but can’t find another one. Given my suburban yard I need MAX silencing even if it means the moderator cost the same as my gun! LOL. 

Hey, I totally get it man! That's why I couldn't resist getting a Sarissa, even though the Falx worked amazingly well for the size. The Sarissa did not disappoint for sure. This is a picture I took while doing some ammo testing, so ignore the groups, because I was using holes as the targets etc... I just stuck my phone to the scope. This was shooting around 65 fpe with .218 slugs at my house. I did shoot the target with the bird on it, and he didn't even fly away(30 yards). My target is full of rubber mulch, so it is also very quiet.
0707211351b2.1628223738.jpg
Just make sure and email him from the STO site and not on here(if he's still on here).

Got an email back and they don't do smaller bore sizes, oh well. Ordered the Sarissa because it has metal thread as suppose to plastic thread because I know i'll F* up the plastic thread! Plus it's already a lot lighter than my emperor to begin with. Fingers crossed it can make my little chihuahua 8 FPE PP700 quiet as mouse fart, it's pretty quiet with a long moderator with plastic insert but hoping to get more. 

Let us know how it turns out qball!

Yup, will post my findings when I get it. I’m hopeful it will be above expectations even though it is rather high. Hahaha 😝 

Edit: I’m well aware the theory of Tesla valve but it was designed around liquid. Hopefully it works well when it comes to managing air flow also, very interesting design and really hopeful that it would work. 

Got the Sarissa today and it's not for small calibers at least. Both the .22 caliber older Sumo and FX cans with 3d printed baffles are noticeably quieter. I suspected this as the bore look like .25 minimum. Total bummer! Will email STO and see what they can do, if they can't send me a smaller core I rather return it because it's basically useless to me. 

All I can is WOW! The difference is remarkable from the stock baffles
1f600.svg
1f600.svg

Anyone know how these compare to the donnyfl extended shroud? I have the Donny, and really want to do a side by side.

I have both but haven't done much useful comparison. I mainly used the DonnyFL when I only had a 22/250 barrel so it would be a bit longer for my boys as I had read a thread about somebody shooting the tip of their finger with a shorter barrel.

It's not really fair to compare them with the 250mm barrel as the DonnyFl has that extra 4" of space. I will say the STO was still quite good when shooting at moderate power levels in 22. Around 20 FPE.

What I liked about the DonnyFL was that you could really lower the pitch to my ear. I don't think it was any quieter but it was more pleasant, I guess. I think that was with a combination of pipe insulation and a strip of rubber mat.

I did end up purchasing some longer barrels but never compared them as I didn't have the spacer required to use the STO or the stock baffle. I suspect in 22 and 25 the STO would have been better.

I don't think either are particular good with 177 as they're both sized for up to 25. I think that's just too much space for 177.

177 aside, if I could only have one moderator for a Classic Leshiy it would be the STO. I like that you can check for damage, replace the foam, clean out graphite build up, etc. Not as easy as with the Akula or CCD one piece moderators.

Sorry, I'm rambling and not really answering your question. I have one of the aluminum spacers now so I'm curious to compare the two at 350mm, which is what I think is the fair comparison. Not sure if I still have the pipe insulation and rubber strip, however.

Got the Sarissa today and it's not for small calibers at least. Both the .22 caliber older Sumo and FX cans with 3d printed baffles are noticeably quieter. I suspected this as the bore look like .25 minimum. Total bummer! Will email STO and see what they can do, if they can't send me a smaller core I rather return it because it's basically useless to me.

Well, that's a bummer man. I was afraid this was going to be the case on your gun. I honestly think the problem likely has more to do with air flow than caliber. These things don't work until you start getting some decent air moving through them. Just for kicks, you should try it on one of your other guns and see how it does. The hole through them is actually supposed to be good up to .30, so it is a bit larger than you'd expect for sure. Both my Falx and Sarissa work very well on my guns in .177, .22, and .30, but the lowest tune I run is probably 40-ish fpe in .177.

Well, that's a bummer man. I was afraid this was going to be the case on your gun. I honestly think the problem likely has more to do with air flow than caliber. These things don't work until you start getting some decent air moving through them. Just for kicks, you should try it on one of your other guns and see how it does. The hole through them is actually supposed to be good up to .30, so it is a bit larger than you'd expect for sure. Both my Falx and Sarissa work very well on my guns in .177, .22, and .30, but the lowest tune I run is probably 40-ish fpe in .177.

they emailed me back and suggested moderate flow core but I already have it so I told them make me one with caliber specific bore or I would rather just return it. Let’s see what they say. 

You'll probably end up returning it, because I don't think they've even built anything for that low of a power output/caliber. STO could surprise us though. I'm not even sure what the best moderator for your gun would be at that low of a power level. You could try one of the larger Huggetts maybe? I'm totally guessing there.

the best moderator so far has been an empty can with 3D printed baffles, still room for improvement IMHO. I’m waiting for STO but I’m thinking I’ll just return it.

However I just ordered a 3D printer so time to learn 3D modeling and truly experiment. I have a bunch of ideas on my head and will try build one with 177 specific bore and I’m guess I can cut down the muzzle report to basically nothing. Plus it will be lighter with carbon tubes as housing. Should of done this a long time ago! Wish me luck! LOL 

You'll probably end up returning it, because I don't think they've even built anything for that low of a power output/caliber. STO could surprise us though. I'm not even sure what the best moderator for your gun would be at that low of a power level. You could try one of the larger Huggetts maybe? I'm totally guessing there.

the best moderator so far has been an empty can with 3D printed baffles, still room for improvement IMHO. I’m waiting for STO but I’m thinking I’ll just return it.

However I just ordered a 3D printer so time to learn 3D modeling and truly experiment. I have a bunch of ideas on my head and will try build one with 177 specific bore and I’m guess I can cut down the muzzle report to basically nothing. Plus it will be lighter with carbon tubes as housing. Should of done this a long time ago! Wish me luck! LOL

Good luck for sure man! I've toyed with getting a 3D printer many times, but never been able to talk myself into doing it, haha.

Just remember to post an update: STO offered to swap the core to smaller bore size but I have to send it back so I politely just requested a return because it’s just too much trouble with no guarantee of success. I can’t fault STO at all since my use case is quite unique and thumbs up for accepting my return. I only wished they would of just shipped me one with small bore as I originally requested, oh well guess I’ll never find out, but from design approach their moderator most likely works better at higher power. 

if I can get get some print time from my 3D printer then I might be able to print one of my design I already drawn up but my kids have the print queue booked for weeks! Time for a second printer at this rate. LOL