Silencers, moderators?

I'm surprised that you are running into clipping issues. Forgive me for my ignorance, but is the Avenger a Springer or PCP? I have the DonnyFL Emperor at 10.5 inches long that doesn't clip. How big is your exit hole? I think making it closer to .30 or .357 sized will still allow for good function. But then again, you may be running into issues with barrel whip, that will definitely flex the moderator since its body is made from PVC.

As you stated, venture into other designs may cause you legality issues. I don't know what specifically is done with the DonnyFL units to make sure they are air gun specific, but I can tell you my moderator is only friction fit for the front end cap with an O-ring.

The Avenger is a PCP. I bought the DonnyFL adapter partially because it slides over the front of the barrel to align it to the shroud (and then screws into the shroud). The Avenger barrel is normally only supported at the chamber end and people report clipping sometimes with the cap over the shroud. I've never experienced that but I thought the adapter seemed like a good idea. Plus it has male 1/2x20 threads like lots of moderators use.

I opened the end of my 7-8 inch as large as 7/16 to try and prevent clipping but it did not work. The issue is the female threads on the end of the aluminum tube in my moderator are not aligned well enough to the center line of the tube. So the tube is not aligned to the barrel, it is tilted relative to the bore center line. The pellets are not hitting the wooden end of the silencer, they hit the aluminum tube on the way to the end plug.

The 4 inch is pretty well aligned. The hole in the end is only 5/16 and it isn't clipping.

Our law over hear states, If it can be put on and used by FAC gun then your in the sticky do do...But quite right what JimD said, Air guns are 1/2 x 20 the design is in the thread failing I think as they are not a high tolerance fit and the o-ring just gives the little push back.

I am looking more on the weight side of things now, as the internals are more or less proved with around 5k slung down range out to100y.

But at the end of the day, If you are into tinkering and rather not or have the funds to buy an off the shelf one with the pease of mind that you are not breaking any laws. 

Just build into your design that if it did get put on a powder burner that the internals and thread will not hold up. 

20210426_182909.1619507937.jpg

I shot a couple groups with the 4 inch moderator today and I am happy to report it does not affect the accuracy of my 25 caliber Avenger. POI might be slightly, like 1 click, lower and to the right, maybe. I need to shoot back to back groups to be sure. But pretty much unaffected. I will include a picture of the two groups, and also a couple of these moderators.
Groups with Moderator.1619536785.jpg
4 inch on Avenger.1619536801.jpg
Sprinkler and 7 inch.1619536816.jpg
I will disassemble the sprinkler, the body can still be used with different internals as a sprinkler, and throw the 7 inch away. But I will paint the 4 inch black and use it some in the backyard to minimize disturbance to my neighbors.