• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Silence of the Starlings

Hi all. I'm observing some,well, I don't know what to call it,change of circumstances? Last week I had 2 really good days of nailing the starlings in my immediate vicinity. I had been using the take downs as decoys and it was working pretty good.I had maybe 15 decoys propped up in the yard. On the 2nd day,in the evening I went inside,took a short 1 hour nap.When I went back outside most of my decoys were either mutilated or missing. I'm pretty sure a buzzard or 2 came in had a feast. Thing is,ever since then not 1 starling will land in my "kinda big" yard or the preferred trees. Take today for example,it's been 4 days since I've taken a shot at anything.I have not been out pesting for the past 2 days at all cause there is nothing to shoot at.There are plenty of starlings around.They fly over the property all the time and they're just as prevailent around my neighbors birdhouse as always.But I don't hear them hardly at all and they won't alit in my trees.Could it be a seasonal,behavior thing or have they smarten up?

I don’t know where you are in the world, but they might have eggs or chicks in the nest and only one is going out feeding. They might be done looking for a mate and now onto hunting for two or more. Less making sounds and more surviving. Just a thought, not being scientific here, but I’ve noticed less and less birds in my area not being as loud and out in the open as they were last month. Soon there should be fledglings fluttering around.

My yard is a starling no fly zone. It definitely happens when they get smart, I still get the new comers and the fledglings but the locals avoid my place big time. It’s been several years since they tried to nest in the flicker boxes behind my house. The good thing about it is that now you’re gonna need a long range gun, looks like your due for a slug shooting Impact! Ha ha.

I throw my dead starlings in the freezer, tie them to the end a fishing line and cast them as high as i can get them into my starling tree where there is no leaves if you have some dead branches or anywhere there is open spots especially before the leaves appear. I get passersby to stop and take a look they don't stay long so you have to be quick!

Something else I noticed when I had the decoys out there was this group action,reaction , non action.At 1st if it were just a 1 or 2 birds and no decoys they would take off at the 1st shot. But with a half a dozen decoys out among them they would not instantly take off. They're buddy,s did'nt notice anything wrong. Crowd mentality?lol As far as putting dead birds in my freezer so I can throw up into my trees. I may not be the brightest bulb on the xmas tree and getting dimmer but,come on.

Those starling wised up. I did a nighttime shoot on a flock of roosting starling about a month ago shooting 116 of them. Two days later I went back to get more and not one in sight. Went back a few more times and none have returned yet. The same thing with some pigeons. There were two cousins with farms next to each other with large flocks of pigeons. Only one of the farmers gave me permission to shoot. Now I can see all the pigeons sitting up on the cousins silos. Bill