• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sightron vs. SWFA?

I recently found Sightron S-Tac 4-20X50 scopes on sale for $299 and bought one for my Daystate Revere. Hearing many accolades about SWFA fixed power scopes, I bought a 20X scope for another rifle I just bought. I must say that the SWFA was a disappointment, despite it being Japanese made. I expected nice clear glass, but this one not so much. It also had a real tight eyebox and if you moved your eye ever so slightly off center, you got lots of edge flare. The Sightron, on the other hand, was bright and clear and easy to use. FWIW.

Can't say much to the Sightron line, but my SWFAs are the 20x flavor, and also say made in Japan on the bottom of the scope. And I agree on both of your points: tight eyebox and less than stellar optic clarity. Seems counterintuitive but I think the tight eyebox helps with repeatability, when compared to more position-forgiving scopes. And the subpar optic clarity is only a problem right after you've spent time looking through something better. lol.

The SWFA SS line does have some really good things going for it.
For one, they're tough as nails. I fumbled one while taking it off a gun at one point. Dropped it on the concrete floor in my gun room, landed right on the windage turret and it was slighty cockeyed. And that thing still worked like a champ! Tracked correctly and everything. It just had a bit of a physical tight spot in the revolution of the turret. I emailed SWFA and told them I'd dropped it and if their warranty covered stupidity. I figured worth a try to ask, and if they said no I'd just keep it and use it since it was working. Their response, send it in. So, cost me $10-15 to mail it to them and a few weeks later they mailed me.......a brand new scope. They're also springer rated. One shrugged off a couple months of being on a gas rammer RX2 like it was nothing. Still functions perfectly.
So, second good point-excellent warranty.
Third good point-price. Not many $250-300 scopes can be trusted to be turret clickers. I've been cranking on 3 of the 20xs for 4 years and they all track perfectly. (okay, one got replaced a while back, so 4 different ones, two of which have been cranked on for the full 4 years.) They can be 100% trusted to track correctly and the turret mechanism is robust enough to last a good long while.
4th-size. They're not very big and not very heavy, relatively.
5th-reticle. I really like the mil-quad for a functional, non Christmas tree type.
6th-simplicity. I find the fact that you got your choice of 1 magnification, kinda refreshing. There's just not much to fiddle with, which means there's not much to go wrong. No illuminated IR, no side focus (With a cheap throw-lever, I like the rear focus). They're bare bones, and thats a kind of welcome change sometimes.

But yes, tight eyebox and not the greatest glass. And I'll add another one, poor performance in low light conditions. I shoot in the evenings a lot. I can shoot 15 or 20 minutes later into dusk with a Midas Tac, even with it set to 24x, than I can with the 20x SWFA.

Reactions: PumaCarl
A better question is where did you find one for $299?
The sale lasted a while. I just checked a few sites and it looks like if you balked or saw this post late, y’all missed out. Wow. I didn’t think the price would go back up.

To the OP’s quandary, I haven’t used an adjustable SWFA, but my fixed mag 10x44 can accompany me on a hunt a lot faster than my 4-20x50mm Sightron S-Tac. I need a parallax wheel with marked ranging tape to hunt with this Sightron, without one it’s really only suitable for fixed position target shooting. I’ve taken a couple of rabbits with it and l’ve run into issues ranging which makes it difficult to take quick shots. I made a bad shot once (I recovered the animal, put it down up close, and ate it) and I completely missed another. Both shots were taken standing using a tripod as a monopod (legs were pushed together). With my fixed magnification SWFA scope it’s: aim, adjust the parallax ring, and using the memorized hold, shoot. Glass on both scopes work for my purposes. At least I haven’t encountered any issues with the glass so far. The two serve different purposes. I’d be more inclined to use an adjustable magnification scope to take longer shots (100 yards or more), although out to 65 yards (maybe 75 yards) both would be sufficient.

Last edited:
A 20X fixed scope is going to be tight, and restrictive how much light it lets through. I'm with Motorhead, the 10X SWFA is pretty awesome, and when SWFA has their sales, those scope can be had for as low as $199.

Camerland had a sale on Sightron scopes a week or so ago. Not sure I remember was the 4-20X50 was, but the 4-20X44 was $389 on sale
Oops, my bad on the price, it was $239. I confused it with the Meopta scopes Camerland had on sale.

I like the sightron Stac 3x16 Mil hash but this scope is $650 from midway I like this model now the moa 3 version is a different scope turrets are different them seem to be on sals for $250 everywhere , to me the glass is looks better on the milhash I do own both models , now to compare it to say SWFA 3x15 , me personally I am a hunter and have prob 100 hunts under my belt with the swfa so hands down swfa first over the mil hash and the moa version is new I only tried it to see , does anyone know why both identical models use different turrets and glass weird huh

OK now Enace said about quick , here squirrels season is open and to me for fast I love the Trijicon accupoint 1-8 34mm I use this alot hunting this year ,I have hi end glass but for squirrels I prefer a quick light scope , and dont need hi power as most shots under 60 yards so 4 to 8 power is best I do like variables even the best scopes money can buy all have flaws and things they no good for say a the staple of hi end for decades , the Schmidt bender 5x25 , was the best before evolved under 6,5 power the scope tunnels and is not usable , but is one of my favorite optics , as long as they shine where you intend to use them and for what they used for is what makes them better , But for a rugged good turret scope which wont break the bank The swfa is still a great scope . and can be used as a hammer and they will hold poi , they are 100% repeatable if you crank turrets a million times and most very precise meaning if you dial and use a tall target they better then alot of hi priced optics , they evn spot on at extreme rotations and warranty is great , unliks say dealing with us optics where they keep scope 6 months and do not do not do the QC they should , LOU

LOU

I wish Sightron would go back to offering more with 1 MOA hash marks. Do not care for the 2 MOA. Decent quality for the $$. I have owned several over the years.
@CaptainH 1 MOA is more convenient as opposed to trying to figure out a halfway point between hashmarks when needing to hold 1 MOA for a shot using an MOA2 reticle.

I recently found Sightron S-Tac 4-20X50 scopes on sale for $299 and bought one for my Daystate Revere. Hearing many accolades about SWFA fixed power scopes, I bought a 20X scope for another rifle I just bought. I must say that the SWFA was a disappointment, despite it being Japanese made. I expected nice clear glass, but this one not so much. It also had a real tight eyebox and if you moved your eye ever so slightly off center, you got lots of edge flare. The Sightron, on the other hand, was bright and clear and easy to use. FWIW.
Interesting. S7