Sightron scopes

Amazon has two high end sightron scopes one priced at $2900.

SIGHTRON SVIII 5-40x56mm ED FFP Riflescope, Zero Stop Illuminated LRM Reticle​

The other is priced at $1600. cheaper

SIGHTRON 25003 SIII 30mm Riflescope 10-50x60mm, Long Range MOA Reticle​

Who knows the difference at these dollar price points- where’s the value?

Last edited:
Reactions: dgeesaman
The prices on those sites are terrible for both those. I just wanted to start there.

They are very different scopes.

SIII 10-50 is a second focal plane scope and is a good value for the quality. That being said, that scope price on that site is twice what it should be. They are nice scopes in high magnification. There are better scopes for sure, but not necessarily at the price point for high mag SFP scope. They do not have ED glass and it shows once you try one. Still a great scope.

SVIII is a very high mag scope in front focal plane, and when you want a front focal plane at that high of magnification, you have to pay for it. The price qball posted is much more reasonable. The scope has ED glass as well, so it will look better. Side note, the tube is 40mm vs 30mm and it weighs a ton! I haven’t used one of these yet (but really want to). I have used the SV models in SFP that are more closely related to the SIII you mentioned. The ED version is much brighter and seems better made too.

Reactions: qball
I'm a huge fan of Sightron scopes I have the SVIII 5x4x40x56 on my FX Crown in .22 cal and I have the SIII 45x45 Competition on my Anschutz 9015 Benchrest. I can't say enough good things about these scopes, they track great and the glass is comparable to Nightforce.

IMG_5544.JPG

IMG_5540.JPG

Could be SFP vs FFP

Sightron SVIIISSED ED IR Zero Stop Rifle Scope, 5-40x56mm, 40mm Tube, First Focal Plane, Illuminated LRM Reticle $1789 + tax + $9.99 shipping. Sale ends five days from 09/28/22​

Sightron SIIISS Field Target Series 10-50x60mm Rifle Scope $929 + tax + $9.99 shipping. Sale ends five days from 09/28/22​

Last edited:

OMG! My wallet curses you! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Str8tshooter
Now that's what I'm talking about!!! I almost got the new S6 5-30 scope, but after reading about the huge depth of field that it has, it pretty much killed the idea of using it for FT.

Most of this is AMC (above my comprehension) but it has been my understanding that tube diameter over 30mm doesn't improve image quality. It just gives you more adjustment, adds weight and mass. Brightness is improved by objective lens size which improves ability to gather light so is brighter. And the really important thing is lens coating and glass quality.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by only looking at 30mm scopes. I don't need the extra adjustment and don't want the weight and mass. I am looking for the image quality. And I have trouble believing a $2000 dollar scope has twice the image quality of a $1000 scope. Have you priced 40mm rings?

Bill

How are you liking yours for use with field target? The weight could cause some balance issues especially offhand shots. The S3 is plenty good enough for FT use if you ask me, granted I don't like its turrets. Would I buy the S8 again for FT use knowing what I know now? Probably not actually.