Tuning Sighting in my Leshiy

There isn't really any hard minimum distance. I often do a coarse sighting in at 10 meters. When I later target things at 40 meters, the left/right aim is good, but the up/down aim needs significant modification. Basically, the closer to the gun you sight-in, the more work you'll have to do at realistic distances.

Presumably for any specific scope or aiming apparatus you have, there may be an effective minimum distance, i.e. you might go beyond the max threshold of your scope. 

Camps I sight in all my rifles in the basement or garage initially.

At this point I will already know what speed I'm shooting and my scope over bore height so I then use the desktop version of Chairgun to get a rough idea of where my Optimal Zero is and the nearest point where my pellet will first cross 1/4" below that zero.

With one of my tune and scope combinations my Optimal Zero is around 30 yards. At about 12 yards I'm a 1/4" below that zero and I'm a 1/4" low again at about 34 yards.

So for that tune I roll my pellet trap to 12 yards in my basement and site in my scope so I'm hitting slightly low at 12 yards. I don't get out calipers and measure 1/4", I just eyeball it for the initial site in.

This is with a Classic Leshiy in 22 around 700 FPS with a heavier pellet and a likely lower scope over bore height so I would anticipate your Optimal Zero would be a bit further out.

To answer your question of what is minimal yards to site in, I'm not sure. With the tune above I'd be an inch low at 5 yards and I guess I could zero in an inch low but I've never had to do that. If I did I would probably put a row of these self adhesive target dots at one height across my trap and then put another row centered an inch directly below those. And I do have a couple of scopes that come close to focusing at 5 yards. 

What is the longest safe distance you have available in your basement?

At this point I will already know what speed I'm shooting and my scope over bore height so I then use the desktop version of Chairgun to get a rough idea of where my Optimal Zero is and the nearest point where my pellet will first cross 1/4" below that zero.

With one of my tune and scope combinations my Optimal Zero is around 30 yards. At about 12 yards I'm a 1/4" below that zero and I'm a 1/4" low again at about 34 yards.

So for that tune I roll my pellet trap to 12 yards in my basement and site in my scope so I'm hitting slightly low at 12 yards. I don't get out calipers and measure 1/4", I just eyeball it for the initial site in.

This is with a Classic Leshiy in 22 around 700 FPS with a heavier pellet and a likely lower scope over bore height so I would anticipate your Optimal Zero would be a bit further out.

To answer your question of what is minimal yards to site in, I'm not sure. With the tune above I'd be an inch low at 5 yards and I guess I could zero in an inch low but I've never had to do that. If I did I would probably put a row of these self adhesive target dots at one height across my trap and then put another row centered an inch directly below those. And I do have a couple of scopes that come close to focusing at 5 yards. 

I would be shooting the .22 16gr pellet around 700-800fps.

I have about 15yrds total distance to shoot in basement.

I would be shooting the .22 16gr pellet around 700-800fps.

I have about 15yrds total distance to shoot in basement.

I found the BC for the JSB 15.89s and entered it into Chairgun. Based on your picture and 32mm objective I guessed at a scope over bore height of 2". I used a 1/2" kill zone.

At 700 FPS I get an Optimum Zero of 31.2 yards. In your kill zone from 12.8 to 34.3 yards.

At 800 FPS I get an Optimum Zero of 35.1 yards. In your kill zone from 14.4 yards to 38.6 yards.

Your scope might be lower than that which will have the effect of bringing your Maximum Point Blank Range in a bit closer and lengthening it slightly. For example, if I lower it to 1.75" for the 700 FPS the MPBR changes to 11.4 yards to 33.2 yards. 

So your MPBR would be about 1.4 yards closer and about a third of a yard longer overall with the lower scope position.

So I say set up at full distance and zero. Maybe a 1/4" low but even that's not a big deal. When you can get outside then you can dial it in better. You probably won't be that far off.

By the way you don't have to use Optimal Zero. I happen to like it for how I used my air guns. You're almost always going to have to deal with hold overs or dialing with air rifles so something else might work better for you. But for now, set up your trap and get to know your Leshiy.

I just sighted it in roughly from the 15yds I had with a bench rest setup. Didn’t take much fine tuning for that distance. I will do a full 30-35yrd sight in a few weeks from now when it warms up outside. Very impressed so far. Hard to do much tuning for fpe/shot count until the chrono comes in. At this point I have the Huma reg set at 90b and the hst back right off. Laser beam

7E0734BC-6593-43D0-BEA5-4821CBBCC8A4.1646961729.jpeg