• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Sighting in a break barrel

I am new to air rifles and I am just starting out with my new Crosman F4 which is a break barrel. I want to sight in the scope which requires shooting a group/. How can I assure the rifle is pointing to the same place while I break the barrel. Doesn't breaking the barrel move the rifle around? Do I just do the best I can with a sand bags or a DIY stand?

brucejames2

Welcome to the Nation!

Yes, break barrels can move (if they don't have engineering to deter that) and they especially develop "droop." The latter is addressed by buying a shimmed scope mount to compensate. The former requires that you check the mounting screws regularly and keep them tight so the barrel will be less likely to move. 

I got a Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk (.177) that is very accurate (killed squirrels out to 25 yards with it). It's a solid performer with a sucky trigger (but it works)--I've been too lazy (and cheap) to do a trigger tune so far. Each entry level gun is a dice roll; but some are really good, right out of the box. 

BTW, you need to shoot a tin or two (1,000 pellets) to really break it in before you get too concerned about performance. Then, there's cleaning the barrel and regular maintenance, too. 

Best of luck,

Arch_E 

I have read an interesting way to sight in your gun and it worked reasonably well for me. Set your gun on a stable platform after cocking and loading it. I have a Gamo springer and used sand bags here. I took a shot with the sight at the bulls eye. After hitting the target but moving the gun as little as possible, I adjusted the sight to look at the point where I hit the target. Reset the gun on the sandbags to see how close that dialed in the sight. You might have to do this a few times, but you should get your groupings as good as they can be, all things considered. Use premium pellets so you don't aim off of flyers! JMHO.