• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Sighting at varying ranges

I watch a lot of pesting videos and I've noticed that some of these guys (from the rangefinder readings on the screen) are using a 'dead on' hold at ranges from 8 yards out to 50 or so yards. With my Benji .22, I'm sighted at 20 yards and at about 10 yards I have to hold at least 2" low or I'm just "Buzzing the Tower" so to speak.

Does my rifle have that much of a rainbow trajectory, or are their rifles shooting that flat? Could they be making scope adjustments off camera or am I 'missing' something else?

I emailed Jonny (Air Rifle Pest Control) and he said he's using a scope/rangefinder combo with a ballistics program in it, that when he hits the rangefinder, it automatically adjusts his POI for that range.

I'm using the ATN ABL Rangefinder which - when coupled with the ATN 4k Pro (with the Ballistic Calculator configured)

I have no idea what these are, never heard of them, But from the sound of it they are way out of my price range. Especially for a casual plinker. For someone "In the business" as a pest eliminator, it makes sense though.

I'm going to try the "5 pump/10 yard" method with my Benji. 5 pumps should be enough for chippers @ 10 yards with the .22, that's what my dad uses in his .20 Sheridan and he does OK-no wounding & losing, just straight out DRT.

Hello one major factor in regards to pellet trajectory is hight of optic above bore line and what distance you zero your gun at. If you use one of the online ballistic calculators you can find your flattest curve. You will need the hight of optic above bore line, muzzle velocity, pellet weight, and pellet coefficient. Then just play with the zero distance till you find your flatest curve. Then shoot at each distance to confirm. One other thing make sure you set the program for one yard intervals. Hope this helps you Eric.

With my Benji .22, I'm sighted at 20 yards and at about 10 yards I have to hold at least 2" low or I'm just "Buzzing the Tower" so to speak.

poi will be about 1" low at 10 yards if zero'd at 20 yards. Not high "buzzing the tower"

10-28-19-04-Pellet-flight1.1601650829.jpg

Sig Sauer has a range finder scope combo that is Bluetooth connected. When you range it adjust the cross hair to the correct yardage with a red dot reticle. $600 or so and you can find them on sale. I have one on a .223 and it works great to 400 yrds. You do have to enter the usual bullet info so I’m not sure about pellets but it should work. I cannot use it to hunt big game in Idaho, varmints only. Just thought I would put the info out there.

I can't comment on every pesting video, but the majority I watch like Air Hunters, and Matt Dubber mark the elevation turret ahead of time, range the shot, adjust the scope off camera, then hold dead on or nearly dead on for shots. You can also use the ATN and similar optics. What velocities are you shooting? At air gun ranges, going from 650 fps to 920fps makes a huge ballistic difference. Also, watching shows with slugs versus pellets will give you the illusion they are getting better ballistics with pellets. Pellets shoot about half as flat as slugs because of the Ball coefficient, but that is really more relevant beyond 50yd.