Sight in new PCP

I tend to sight mine in on a gun vise or something stable to eliminate any movement from me. Once I have the pellet of choice figured out and repeatedly hit dead center one ragged hole groups at 40-50 yards, then I call it good and go off hand from there.

Don't rely on a bipod to sight in with, they move too much without a bag rider on the stock.

I tend to sight mine in on a gun vise or something stable to eliminate any movement from me. Once I have the pellet of choice figured out and repeatedly hit dead center one ragged hole groups at 40-50 yards, then I call it good and go off hand from there.

Don't rely on a bipod to sight in with, they move too much without a bag rider on the stock.
Thanks for the advice. I've gotten too old and shaky to sight in offhand anymore.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I sure hope you do not need a vise because I don't have one but I have 5 PCPs (so far). I also agree with the sentiment that there is no special device that we all need to use. Sandbags can work, bipods work fine for me (with a bag or more recently a monopod on the back) as does a more traditional front rest with a bag on the back (used that today on my Prod which isn't set up for a bipod). Further I also agree that when we sight in from the bench we need to check our zero with holds we would use in hunting or whatever sport the gun is for. I avoid off hand when possible but I often stand using a tree or fence post or a post on my porch to steady me. So I check the zero that way. Also I shoot off a bucket with sticks sometimes. My guns shoot the same off the other types of rests but it's good to check it. My "checks" are often shooting my "know your limits" swinging target. When I can hit the 1/4 inch repeatedly I figure I'm OK.

000555.jpg

I also do what JimD does (post #11). I sight in using a good sandbag or bipod on the bench. But with the gun/s I hunt with, I then shoot off my Primos Trigger Stick tripod as that is what I usually hunt with and then do any final adjustments to my scope settings.
Sometimes I also use the pipe clamp in the photo below. It’s a standard Jorgensen Pony clamp with an 18” length of 3/4” black pipe with a piece of water line insulation on it to protect the rifle stock or air cylinder. I clamp it to one of the 4x6 posts that support the roof at the gun club to simulate a branch.

18B58A5F-987F-40F7-A3D5-076168F9F97C.jpeg

Reactions: JohnTaylor