• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

sight in distance? .22 cal FX Indy

I was just wondering where you guys set up your .22cal PCP's for dead zero
I currently have mine set up at 40 yards and it seams to be working out ok so far for me and I am trying to dial in some mill dot hold overs for power level (1) as well for use in side the barns as not to punch holes in the roofs after pass troughs on pigeons 

I will likely tinker some with it once i get to shoot over a chrony with this gun and get a grip with my ballistic charts 
Jonathan

Depending on power setting and pellet combo (I'm using lower power settings a lot) my first zero is between 13 and 20m.
My scope's optical axis is 61mm above barrel's center, so that gives me a 'point and shoot' range of 13-35 meters, which is where most of my shooting happens. Whatever I do I try to make sure I never have to worry about hold under.

In your case, 40 yards zero seems to be is the second zero. If you are shooting 18.1s, I guess you may have to hold under around 30 yards.

Reactions: Swing360
"1kshooter"Thnaks SPC racing, What speed are you getting out of the 18.1 gr at (3) power?
I have to get this thing over a chrony so I can get serious with the data ahhhh!
Jonathan

Jonathan - I tuned the rifle for an average velocity of 845 ft/sec on power #3 with the 18.1 gr JSB's. This hammer spring setting also gives me the best shot string and velocity when using the rifle in F&T competition, as turned down to the #2 power setting to meet the 20 ft-lb limit.

Being a long time iron sight shooter, who uses scopes in much the same way, I use the following approach to sight-in distances for hunting: 

First, I determine the size of the target's kill zone. For example, I choose 3/4" for a squirrel. 

Second, we all should know about the technical definition of "point blank range". It is, the maximum distance where the projectile does not go over the height of the kill zone and does not fall below it when using a center hold. I choose a bit different concept. My hold is at the bottom edge of the kill zone: a six-o-clock hold with irons or with the scope cross-hairs. Then, using Chairgun or other ballistics programs, I find the distance where the projectile's maximum height is the kill zone diameter above the line of sight. This actually increases the effective point blank range from that of a center hold. Note: the correct height of the sights over the bore is very important for the ballistics programs to work accurately.

Third, I sight in at this distance and verify with another target at the maximum height range that that the point of impact is not above my kill zone. I learn what these distances look like in the field. With targets at the maximum height range, I'll shade my hold down just a tad, while those at the maximum, I generally consider getting closer if practical. Otherwise, if I'm confident I'll hold closer to center.

Paper targets at known ranges get a different treatment to sight-in, of course. And, for the game of field target I use 1/2 mil-dot holds. However, with the Hawke 10x fixed power scope I use for this game, the trajectory height is right at 30 meters and intersects the 1/2 mil-dot above the cross-hairs. This is my sight-in range and hold for field target.

that sounds awesome for hunting Sharroff, I will get some speeds from some chrony time and then I can punch the right data into the Chairgun app ....still contemplating the 15.89 over the 18.13 grain JSB's ....my thoughts are the lighter may be a little flatter shooting and still plenty hard enough hitting for squirrels and pigeons!?!? 
only true data will tell I guess lol
Jonathan

I'm zeroing around 18-19 yards and I am very happy with the results on both my Daystate Wolverine .22 and Weihrauch HW100 .22

Of course the pellet is following a curved path no matter what you do - it's just a case of where and how you want the straight line of the cross hairs to intersect that curve.

I prefer to have a bit of the curve above the line of the sights between 20 and 40 yards.

I am experimenting the with same setting on my new FX Boss - the .30 seems to slow down faster (but of course it still hits like a sledge hammer).

Robert