Tuning Sig Sauer p226 x5 C02 valve mod

First off - Good to meet you CanGiaMilla and welcome to the forum. Air guns are very fun to tinker / build. As for the Sig, the mpx is identical to the mcx except for the barrel, shroud, etc. My wife has the mpx and I have modded the crap out of it its identically inside to my mcx. If you want power ( velocity or ft lbs depending on pellet weight ) then the way to go is to do the hammer mod I mention in this forum. I can walk you through it if you need. Its pretty easy and will make the hammer hit hard enough and still cycle the semi auto correctly. Secondly you will need to remove the brass screen that comes on some valves. Its very easy to drill out and it stops flow drastically. I believe its there to keep the UK versions under 500fps but some American ones have this.

Once you have done the above I would recommend converting to HPA. With the hammer mod I would run at least 1400psi but 1800psi seems to be the magic number if you ask me. With that combination you will be moving at least 4 times the volume of air with no valve work other then removing that brass screen. One thing to understand about air guns is that air expands at roughly 1650fps. Always. Weather its 100psi or 5k psi. So more psi inst always more power. The hammer must be capable of opening the valve fully. This is why you will hear complaints about people switching to hpa and the power goes down. That's because the hammer was set for c02 at a max of 850psi. Then hpa is at 1100psi and the hammer can not get the valve to open fully. More psi but not more volume of air. I have learned from my experiences that porting valves, etc only gives minimal results. More psi with the hammer power to open the valve makes more power. Also barrel length greatly improves power up to a certain point.

Sorry to go on and on there but it is very import information if your getting into air guns. So back to the sig, you can expect to get around 900fps with 8 grain pellets with the mpx and around 1100fps with the mcx. Good luck and let me know if you need any other assistance.

Hey JJ,

I decided to start my adventures on my SS P226. I've gotten down to the valve body so far but can't figure out how to remove the white nylon washer/retainer to release the center valve/reed and spring(see pic below). I've tried spinning and lightly pulling but it's in there pretty well. Any ideas?

Sig_P226_ValveMod.1631484097.jpg

So I used a little pick to pry up-and-out the nylon seal/retainer to release the reed valve and spring. There's a copper and rubber o-ring as well. You can see in the picture I may have damaged the nylon ring. I wonder if heating it in hot water would help remove the gouge I made or would sanding it work better. I think I'll see what I can find online(Ebay) as well. Anyways, while I get that corrected; to port the inlet valve with a drill bit, would you(JJ) suggest putting the reed valve in a vice and drill in at the same angle as the existing hole is at or can I drill in perpendicular to the reed? 

P226 valve mod damage.1631647099.jpg

For the life of me I can't find the correct nylon washer i damaged. I found complete SS P226 valve bodies for sale but not just the bits and pieces. Looks like I'm possibly out $30. I put everything back together after attempting to repair the washer to see if it'll hold pressure and not leak. I'll report what happens. Wish me luck....

Edit: After initial testing, I can confirm that the system doesn't appear to leak pressure, even with the marginally damaged nylon valve washer. Next time, I think I'll try pushing it out from the front end of the valve body instead of picking it out from the rear. With the valve pin hogged out(using dremel and carbide bits) and removing the brass balls filter from valve body housing inlet(falls out), I can report the difference is significant! It bucks like a 9mm now! So much so, it knocks my lower picatinny light/laser combo off! I can't wait to try these mods on my MCX next. 

Big thanks to @JoeyJohnson

JoeyJohnson 

or actually anyone who is familiar with mods on CO2.. two questions.. can the power be upped on the revolvers, like the Colt peacemaker SAA or Crossman 357 or Dan Wesson.. would be great to get 500 fps, wouldn't mind having less shots since 50 would be a lot more than I normally shoot with anything..

also in regards to the baretta, it was mentioned about hpa conversion, so the question is, how was that done, was it with a adapter and hose to a small regulated bottle, separate from the gun? or is there a tank conversion to fit inside in place of the CO2 cartridge?

thanks for any information

Mark

JoeyJohnson 

or actually anyone who is familiar with mods on CO2.. two questions.. can the power be upped on the revolvers, like the Colt peacemaker SAA or Crossman 357 or Dan Wesson.. would be great to get 500 fps, wouldn't mind having less shots since 50 would be a lot more than I normally shoot with anything..

also in regards to the baretta, it was mentioned about hpa conversion, so the question is, how was that done, was it with a adapter and hose to a small regulated bottle, separate from the gun? or is there a tank conversion to fit inside in place of the CO2 cartridge?

thanks for any information

Mark

I have watched YT videos on increasing the FPS on Dan Wesson revolvers. These seem the most straightforward to adjust power. On the other hand, a Dan Wesson .357 with 8" barrell should do ~500 FPS with the right pellet. 

only one that I have found that has a HP conversion kit available is the SIG mpx and the.. I forgot the name..storm.. I think umarex.. mpx HP conversion is just a paintball bottle conversion to replace the large CO2 cartridge.

the storm, if I have the correct name, is a adapter with a foster and a hose to a remote tank..

I've seen the screen on the CO2 pistols years ago and I assume that they are multiple purpose, possibly a filter, and like said above by someone else a restriction.. but from what I have seen on mods for the td4 50 caliber self defense pistol I'm not sure but I think it's like having a larger plenum on the air rifles.. so more CO2 per shot, should equal more power.. just like the mods for the td4..

if anyone has any information on other conversion to HP air on CO2 pistols I'd really appreciate it.. unfortunately the best two and smallest PCP pistol is ataman ap16 and the weinrach hw44.. 

and the ataman ap16 is the smallest PCP pistol I can find, but in compact version it's still 12" long..

Mark

I will get you some detailed instructions later today. :)
Hi Joey
I have a P226 that has suddenly stopped charging even though fresh CO2 cartridges I’ve been tried. I thought I would walk through your valve modification to see if there’s something there that can help me resolve this problem.
Would you please send me your step by step modification
Thanks in advance
Chris