Tuning Sig Sauer Mcx Virtus pcp regulator

Hi all!

I recently purchased one of the Sig Virtus Pcp rifles and have been very pleased with it. I have had only one issue with it where I had an out of round pellet that worked its way forward in the magazine belt and bound up at the chamber. Easy fix, just needed to seat the pellet back into the belt with a range rod. After having fired close to a thousand pellets through it I was impressed with how smoothly it shot and it is surprisingly consistent with most pellets that I have run through it ranging from 14.3 up to 18.21gr H&N Barracudas, some cheap Crossman premiere and some Nelson slugs. All of them shot well and group well. The only thing I felt was really an issue was the power, or lack of. I would not suggest what follows if you are not experienced with pneumatics, regulators, and gunsmithing. I decided to open the rifle up and inspect the action and operation to decide if it could handle a bit more power. After inspecting the internals and tolerances I felt like it would handle a few more psi from the regulator and slowly started to increase the output by rebuilding the Bellville disc spring. I started by adding a single twenty thousandths shim to the base of the stack which bumped it up about 40 psi at the output. It was an improvement, but I still felt it could use a bit more. After trying a few different configurations of disc and shims and testing the psi output of each I settled on adding one disc and one shim to the factory stack and ended up at 1480psi. For me it is a marked improvement over factory, it is much harder hitting and I have had zero issues with "flyers" or inconsistencies with accuracy which had been my main concern with increasing the output. This rifle was never designed to be a long range tack driver, more of a fun plinking gun. That said it has a ton of potential for improvement and in my experience benefits from a little increase in power. For now I am pretty happy that it will hold 1moa out to 50 yards, I haven't set up a known distance range farther than that yet for better testing. But you can bet as soon as I get my chrono back from a friend that has been borrowing it I will get out and do some more accuracy tuning and report back with a more detailed update on its performance if there is any interest in it. 

Reactions: Sc0-
Very interested in any info to "tune" the sig pcp.

I purchased 2 of the .117 units when they came out. Added the hpa kits. Wanted a parts gun.

Found out that Sig has no parts support. The guns are made by a high end Japanese airsoft company. 

Fun guns, like the belt fed pellet platform for a ratting, training unit.

Thought about buying the .22 model.

Project stalled after that.

Thanks and I will follow the thread. 

Check out the specs on the .22 Sig.

It's HPA.

They also sell a HPA conversion that is regulated to work safely on the previous units.

I've seen the info you sent and the heads up is appreciated. That was a total conversion from co2 to HPA. IMO, a PROD would be the better road to take. Better safe than sorry.

Nothing wrong with tuning a gun to operate with safe specs which sounds like the OP's goal.

Thank again for the safety tip.

Appreciate the concerns, if I didn't think that I could safely make any alterations to this platform I certainly would not attempt to do so. Thankfully I have a background in building guns, everything from simple tuning and modification to scratch built custom pistols and precision rifle platforms. I also have experience with high pressure air systems as well as high pressure nitrogen systems (I work in a brewery and do maintenance and repair on all of the systems many of which are high pressure industrial systems).

My goal with this project was to hopefully provide some more real world information about the Virtus of which there isn't a lot available aside from a bunch of reviews, to find out how to improve the performance of the rifle, and what is possible within the realm of safe and sane. Again when I was rebuilding the regulator to increase the output pressure I was very aware of how important it is to work in small measurable steps.

Future plans for further tuning will be dialing in the best pellet weight and diameter combination, all of the fun ballistics math and then working from there. I would like to lighten the trigger pull a bit just to smooth it out which is going to be interesting to figure out since the first operation of the trigger is advancing the rotary magazine. 

Total agreement on the trigger. I haven't cracked the unit open yet. I have the .177 models and I would like to think that it the same as the .22.

I was hoping to maybe get something like a 2 stage trigger where you could rotate the mag on the first stage and the get a light break on the second stage for a accurate slow fire shot.

I was trying to find a parts breakdown manual and I don't think I had any luck. I always try to purchase the parts I want to "tune" and thats when I called Sig for parts and they gave me the name of the Japanese maker and stated that Sig does not sell parts.

I see potential with this platform for a fun, low cost semi auto platform.

I have a couple of projects on deck but this topic is good motivation to keep it warm.

No worries about the (SIG) stated fact of the inability to get replacement parts since the OP has access to fabricate his own replacement parts.

Which could also possibly mean (GOOD NEWS!) dirt cheap broken guns sold as-is you know the ones they do warranty swap outs for brand new guns! NO parts? They don't ever intend to fix them and just pile up them broken warranty swap outs to sell as-is or trash.

Just like the ATI Nova Liberty (Avenger) and Freedom where they (ATI) just traded in warranty returned broken guns for brand new guns since they don't carry the replacement parts nor had any desire to repair them anyway either since their profit margin was high enough. Plus the $100 they collect for selling each of their the broken AS-IS Freedoms and Libertys (Avengers).

Carry on...

20201108_122431.1604860070.jpg

I snapped a photo while I had it open. The biggest thing to be aware of is to try and make sure that when you separate the two halves you don't get parts that want to stay with the top half and some that want to stay with the bottom. It could be a bit of a mess trying to figure out location and orientation of some of the smaller parts. 

Reactions: Sc0-
Thanks for the pic. I belive the gun is made by Tokyo Marui. The size of air tube and inlet looks large enough to handle any TP increase.

I have picked up a .22 semi auto since I bought the Sig .177s so I will see if I can tune up one of those first. Thanks for the info, hopefully I can reciprocate once I crack it open. I have the set up to make parts if I need to. I will also see if I can get some seals, gasket, oring...from Marui or a US outfit. I appreciate the info and pics.

Cheers

Hi,

New to the PCP world, like many, after the ammo cost got silly. Actually excited to set up an in the garage range with fire danger too so lots of reasons to give this a try. So, picked this Virtus MCX PCP up and diving in. I think I have a gen one and before I start ripping into it to go over assembly and do the QC before my kid sits their face next to it I wanted to get some parts. Is this where you ordered up your shims and discs? https://bellevillediscspringsusa.com/ ? What thickness on both did you settle on?

I see some talking about a new regulator... where do you source that? 

Don't underestimate how little I know on the airgun front.

Thanks for giving the project a try.

I have a Version II, but I can't tell what the make and model of the regulator is.

Instead of ripping apart my regulator, I have been looking at the externally adjustable Ninja Flex Regulators: https://www.pbsports.com/products/ninja-flex-regulator-for-3000psi-bottles-rotational-collar-adjustable-output-pressure?variant=32046055915603

When they are available again, I was going to get one with a new Ninja 13ci bottle and see how that does. My Virtus shoots pretty straight right now when the barrel is clean, but I do get the occasional flyer. I was going to see how well it does bringing it gradually up to 1200psi (what the gun is rated for) if the original bottle really is only 1100psi.

For anyone who comes looking, the OEM washers are
inner diameter: 8.2mm
outer diameter: 16mm
thickness: 0.8mm
height: 1.2mm

I'm going to try modding the stack with these https://www.mcmaster.com/96445K232/

and some of these shims https://www.mcmaster.com/98055A114 which are a little small on the outer diameter, so they'll only work in an orientation like )| and not |)