• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SIG ASP20 Chronograph results

Rane, the Whiskey 3 calibrated turret scope is sold on Sig website, nowhere else. Price of gun alone at AGD is $479 I believe with wood stock & about a hundred bucks cheaper in synthetic. If you guys haven't read BB's report, I recommend it. He also said the pellets were extremely hard to seat. He used a tool. 

He found that in his rifle test, the lightest pellet made the most energy at 24.5ftlbs, which seems odd, but it's what he wrote. He mentioned his 2nd stage broke at 2# a 1/2lb less than stated weight it is supposed to go down to.

I'm interested in this rifles lock up system, the gas rams longevity, of course the accuracy, and the power. At their price point though, there's NO way I ever buy a new rifle unless it's tried, true, & proven. I'd rather buy a used synthetic from a known member that's honest and may say something like, "It does 1" at 50 yards and that's not good enough for me." I'd rather have the truth & know then get stuck with a lemon or have to do extensive pellet testing.

I believe Tom said it didn't like Crosman Premieres. 

On the rifle & scope. Before you buy it, be aware that Sig USUALLY has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I'd ask if it applies to this air gun & or scope. I myself have just come to the conclusion that I'll never put anything but a Hawke AirMax on any spring gun more powerful than a TX200 @ 16ftlbs and even then, I want a spring gun approved scope with very good adjustable rings or a one piece mount. 

I've owned gas rams. I'm looking at this Sig, The new Dianas w/ gas rams. Do you believe I had a Crosman Nitro piston that was amazingly accurate & I sold it? Live & learn.

I'm at this point where I want a .30 PCP or bigger, but I also love 12ftlb spring guns & under. On top of those two are my love of tuned spring guns that in the past had reached 25ftlbs smoothly out of an RWS 54 .22 Well, this Sig has my eye; but so does The Hatsan 135QE spitting .30 44grain JSB's @ 33ftlbs. Sounds like a really nice 30 yard gun if it doesn't tear itself, scope, me apart. My thinking on that one though is if it can do that with a .30, then just get a .22 & try the 25.43 & 33.95 .22's, or go w/ a .25 & use the awesome JSB 25.43 Kings. I know, totally different spring gun, I'm kind of OT here.

I asked about this gun on "AirGun Warriors." So far, 90 some people read my post, but not one had a comment. Great. Here, I post & get called a "armchair airgun manufacturer." That, made me laugh. At least you guys have some real info on the gun, which is what I was after. Good luck & hope your finger gets better. Is it because of sharp edges or what? The gun has 4 adjustments for trigger & the oddest trigger weight adjustment I ever saw. If you don't understand, read BB's review, it has pictures. If the trigger is sharp, knock those edges off with some sandpaper or a Dremel tool if you know how.

No not the 11th yet. Looking forward to your delivery. Then I can get some chronograph data for comparison purposes since apparently none of the hundreds of ASP 20 owners chronograph their weapons or share the results.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

I just received the Sig pellets from Amazon. Wrong ones!! My fault. They are the 21.1gr lead pellets. Two heavy for my liking.

Rane, the Whiskey 3 calibrated turret scope is sold on Sig website, nowhere else. Price of gun alone at AGD is $479 I believe with wood stock & about a hundred bucks cheaper in synthetic. If you guys haven't read BB's report, I recommend it. He also said the pellets were extremely hard to seat. He used a tool. 

He found that in his rifle test, the lightest pellet made the most energy at 24.5ftlbs, which seems odd, but it's what he wrote. He mentioned his 2nd stage broke at 2# a 1/2lb less than stated weight it is supposed to go down to.

I'm interested in this rifles lock up system, the gas rams longevity, of course the accuracy, and the power. At their price point though, there's NO way I ever buy a new rifle unless it's tried, true, & proven. I'd rather buy a used synthetic from a known member that's honest and may say something like, "It does 1" at 50 yards and that's not good enough for me." I'd rather have the truth & know then get stuck with a lemon or have to do extensive pellet testing.

I believe Tom said it didn't like Crosman Premieres. 

On the rifle & scope. Before you buy it, be aware that Sig USUALLY has a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I'd ask if it applies to this air gun & or scope. I myself have just come to the conclusion that I'll never put anything but a Hawke AirMax on any spring gun more powerful than a TX200 @ 16ftlbs and even then, I want a spring gun approved scope with very good adjustable rings or a one piece mount. 

I've owned gas rams. I'm looking at this Sig, The new Dianas w/ gas rams. Do you believe I had a Crosman Nitro piston that was amazingly accurate & I sold it? Live & learn.

I'm at this point where I want a .30 PCP or bigger, but I also love 12ftlb spring guns & under. On top of those two are my love of tuned spring guns that in the past had reached 25ftlbs smoothly out of an RWS 54 .22 Well, this Sig has my eye; but so does The Hatsan 135QE spitting .30 44grain JSB's @ 33ftlbs. Sounds like a really nice 30 yard gun if it doesn't tear itself, scope, me apart. My thinking on that one though is if it can do that with a .30, then just get a .22 & try the 25.43 & 33.95 .22's, or go w/ a .25 & use the awesome JSB 25.43 Kings. I know, totally different spring gun, I'm kind of OT here.

I asked about this gun on "AirGun Warriors." So far, 90 some people read my post, but not one had a comment. Great. Here, I post & get called a "armchair airgun manufacturer." That, made me laugh. At least you guys have some real info on the gun, which is what I was after. Good luck & hope your finger gets better. Is it because of sharp edges or what? The gun has 4 adjustments for trigger & the oddest trigger weight adjustment I ever saw. If you don't understand, read BB's review, it has pictures. If the trigger is sharp, knock those edges off with some sandpaper or a Dremel tool if you know how.

The trigger on the ASP20 is set at 3lbs. Some corrections on the price. Both Sig (where I bought mine) and AGD are selling the beechwood stocked gun for $429. The synthetic stock version is not even offered at AGD right now. It is also out of stock at Sig Sauer as well. 

hello guys i am new to this forum but i know a lot about balistics and airguns, next week i am getting hatsan 125 sniper in caliber 0.177 so my question is do you think that a 16 g pellet form 0.177 vs 16 gr pellet 0.22 same gun same power plant woluild have be beter on 0.177?????

Not really sure what your question is ??

hello guys i am new to this forum but i know a lot about balistics and airguns, next week i am getting hatsan 125 sniper in caliber 0.177 so my question is do you think that a 16 g pellet form 0.177 vs 16 gr pellet 0.22 same gun same power plant woluild have be beter on 0.177?????

Welcome to the forum.

Your question is in the right section. Try starting a new thread down where it says " Create New Topic in “Springers, Pumpers, C02, & Vintage”

Might title it "Hatsan 125 .177 Pellet Palate" or something to that effect. You'll get a lot more responses from Hatsan owners most likely.

No chrony results but did shoot a little today. Just to sum it up I was shooting AA 16 gr. These were culls so I do not know what head size. BUT @ 50 yds the last 5 shots were about 3/4" with 4 being 1/2" or less. Not too shabby with the conditions- over 10 mph wind and a 25 yd zero so was using mildot for aiming. BB's article on trigger adj. was very helpful. Mine is now about 1 1/2 lbs on first stage and less than 2 on firing with no creep to me. Scope is UTG 3-9.

Don

RE: Spoke with SIG Sauer today in regards to my ASP20 in .22

For those that have been following this thread you'll recall that my .22 ASP20 rifle is averaging 21.5 foot pounds or so versus the 23 foot pounds advertised. You'll also recall that my chronograph results do not match those published by Tom Gaylord in his blog.

I called SIG Sauer customer service today and reported the power issue and the fact that the gun's action is moving up and down within the stock. The latest issue - BTW - first occurred yesterday when the gun suddenly lost zero. Unfortunately, point of impact was still 4 to 6 inches below the point of aim after max scope elevation was dialed in. I did not discover the movement until taking the gun to my workbench where the action suddenly snapped back into place with just a bit of pressure.

Customer Service said I could send the gun to them and they would inspect it. They also gave me the option of contacting Pyramid Air. I chose that latter and ended the call, but a short time later SIG called me back. 

The customer service person had a series of questions from the airgun people hidden within the bowels of SIG. Questions included my chronograph results (which I verified using a second chronograph today), temperature (today's was 65 degrees F), distance from end of suppressor to chronograph sensor, and the like. 

SIG advised that power would decrease by 1 foot pound for every 10 degree drop in temperature and that my gun was factory tested at 70 degrees F. SIG also shared that the factory test of my gun - based upon records that they save - was 23 foot pounds with a pellet weighing around 14.5 grains. They then suggested I retest the gun with a pellet around that weight. Fortunately, I had tested JSB Jumbo Express pellets (14.35 grains) earlier. I shared the test results with them.

SIG then said they would like me to send them the gun for inspection and that I would receive an email with return details shortly.

I learned a few other things. First SIG is going to publish torque specs for APS 20 stock bolts shortly. The specs will be for the bolt on each side of the stock and the forward trigger guard bolt, but NOT the rear trigger guard bolt. The rear bolt goes into the stock (and over tightening can crack the stock) while the front bolt actually goes into the action.

Second, some of the SIG airgun people supposedly watch this forum closely. Likewise for the GTA forum. I found this out when I suggested that they share the torque data on both forums in addition to their normal channels.

Third, SIG does expect us to check stock bolt tightness (but not the rear trigger guard screw tightness) contrary to advice I received from SIG customer service last week. As some may recall, I was told back then to send the gun in for service when bolts loosen up. Kudos for SIG in recognizing that such was not the best advice for air rifle owners.

Note that I could probably have asked Pyramid Air to simply replace my rifle as it does not meet published specs, plus the action moves up and down within the stock. SIG however, went out of it way to call me back on their own initiative and to ask detailed questions about rifle performance and circumstances surrounding the chronograph testing I conducted. For that reason, plus the fact that the rifle is a new design just released to the market, I beleive it best to deal with SIG directly.

Moan and groan BTW ......I'm maintaining the belief even if turn around time is two weeks or so as written in their return information which just arrived via email. 😂

I'm looking forward to see the results of SIG inspection activities when the air rifle is returned. Finally, I'm glad to see that SIG is taking this air rifle model seriously when an issue is reported.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

RE: Spoke with SIG Sauer today in regards to my ASP20 in .22

For those that have been following this thread you'll recall that my .22 ASP20 rifle is averaging 21.5 foot pounds or so versus the 23 foot pounds advertised. You'll also recall that my chronograph results do not match those published by Tom Gaylord in his blog.

I called SIG Sauer customer service today and reported the power issue and the fact that the gun's action is moving up and down within the stock. The latest issue - BTW - first occurred yesterday when the gun suddenly lost zero. Unfortunately, point of impact was still 4 to 6 inches below the point of aim after max scope elevation was dialed in. I did not discover the movement until taking the gun to my workbench where the action suddenly snapped back into place with just a bit of pressure.

Customer Service said I could send the gun to them and they would inspect it. They also gave me the option of contacting Pyramid Air. I chose that latter and ended the call, but a short time later SIG called me back. 

The customer service person had a series of questions from the airgun people hidden within the bowels of SIG. Questions included my chronograph results (which I verified using a second chronograph today), temperature (today's was 65 degrees F), distance from end of suppressor to chronograph sensor, and the like. 

SIG advised that power would decrease by 1 foot pound for every 10 degree drop in temperature and that my gun was factory tested at 70 degrees F. SIG also shared that the factory test of my gun - based upon records that they save - was 23 foot pounds with a pellet weighing around 14.5 grains. They then suggested I retest the gun with a pellet around that weight. Fortunately, I had tested JSB Jumbo Express pellets (14.35 grains) earlier. I shared the test results with them.

SIG then said they would like me to send them the gun for inspection and that I would receive an email with return details shortly.

I learned a few other things. First SIG is going to publish torque specs for APS 20 stock bolts shortly. The specs will be for the bolt on each side of the stock and the forward trigger guard bolt, but NOT the rear trigger guard bolt. The rear bolt goes into the stock (and over tightening can crack the stock) while the front bolt actually goes into the action.

Second, some of the SIG airgun people supposedly watch this forum closely. Likewise for the GTA forum. I found this out when I suggested that they share the torque data on both forums in addition to their normal channels.

Third, SIG does expect us to check stock bolt tightness (but not the rear trigger guard screw tightness) contrary to advice I received from SIG customer service last week. As some may recall, I was told back then to send the gun in for service when bolts loosen up. Kudos for SIG in recognizing that such was not the best advice for air rifle owners.

Note that I could probably have asked Pyramid Air to simply replace my rifle as it does not meet published specs, plus the action moves up and down within the stock. SIG however, went out of it way to call me back on their own initiative and to ask detailed questions about rifle performance and circumstances surrounding the chronograph testing I conducted. For that reason, plus the fact that the rifle is a new design just released to the market, I beleive it best to deal with SIG directly.

Moan and groan BTW ......I'm maintaining the belief even if turn around time is two weeks or so as written in their return information which just arrived via email. 
1f602.svg

I'm looking forward to see the results of SIG inspection activities when the air rifle is returned. Finally, I'm glad to see that SIG is taking this air rifle model seriously when an issue is reported.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

I read where stock screw bolts should be checked periodically. Blue Loctite might be the solution. I started a ne topic.

Got my Sig today !

Reactions: ranedouglas
.........that's good news overall......really good......it's not easy to deal with airgunners on the retail and distribution levels. i've heard that from others in the industry that just went back to sales of firearms only. ...i'm holding onto the dream of america having a top-notch break barrel. short of some high-risk dream of anyone marketing a kick-ass trigger for the np2 guns , this is all i have ...... -- i'm gonna give green balls for this endeavor yall are arent shy of taking with an unknown american product -- and -- i'm actually gonna sign my balls !!! ( makes me feel like babe ruth.)

RE: ASP20 trigger pull and accuracy

I have about 400 pellets through the rifle. Trigger pull has eased up considerably but is still too heavy for my tastes. In fact, the pull is now the major factor in my accuracy with this rifle.

On a more positive note, I see that the ASP20 has potential for entry in air rifle bench rest matches if I get a bit more strength in my arm and trigger pull lightens up some more. Unfortunately, current trigger pull keeps the rifle IMHO from being on par with Walther LGV/LGU and TX200 rifles in bench rest matches.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

RE: Factory return

I got an RMA number and FedEx label from SIG via email. As some may recall, my chronograph numbers match neither the factory specs or Tom Gaylords findings. 

I dropped the gun off this morning at FedEx. According to the RMA email, I can expect a turn around of 4 to 6 weeks (ouch). I'm hoping that they'll jump on the gun as soon as it arrives since it is a new model, but.........

I'll work with my .177 LGV and .22 Redwolf HP while waiting for the return.

Speaking of the LGV....I put a new Timbum spring in it and it now cocks harder than the ASP20. I haven't measured effort required but I thought I ought to mention it and the fact that I'm now shooting JSB Monster Diabolo (13.43 gr) pellets rather than 10.3 gr pellets. Me thinks I need to do a chronograph session.

Best wishes.

The other Mark B.

I was looking at your chrony numbers again Mark and your 21grain pellet performed similar to mine. Mine was 675fps versus your 655fps. Your elevation might be the only difference. Odd that your lighter pellet numbers do seem low.

I found out that Sig does use a thread lock material on the three hold down fasteners. I analyzed the forearm tabs that the forearm screws go into and IMHO they're a little thin. Thicker tabs would result in more thread engagement and would result in fasteners less likely to become loose. I have a torque wrench and tightened mine to 30 inch/lbs.

Only tried 3 different pellets today and no accuracy shooting as the wind was too high. Have chrony on 4 all together. Did the AA 16about 2 days ago and at 50 yds got a 5 shot 3/4" group.

AA 16 gr avg.=793 sd= 7.3 energy= 22.4

AA 18 gr avg= 772 sd= 2.9 energy= 23.8

Preditor poly 16 gr avg= 813 sd= 7.2 energy= 23.5

H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme 19.09 avg= 744 sd= 4.4 energy= 23.5

All looked pretty good to me and will try more and get some accuracy tests also.

Th th thats all folks.

Only tried 3 different pellets today and no accuracy shooting as the wind was too high. Have chrony on 4 all together. Did the AA 16about 2 days ago and at 50 yds got a 5 shot 3/4" group.

AA 16 gr avg.=793 sd= 7.3 energy= 22.4

AA 18 gr avg= 772 sd= 2.9 energy= 23.8

Preditor poly 16 gr avg= 813 sd= 7.2 energy= 23.5

H&N Barracuda Hunter Extreme 19.09 avg= 744 sd= 4.4 energy= 23.5

All looked pretty good to me and will try more and get some accuracy tests also.

Th th thats all folks.

Those are excellent numbers for the pellet weights you chose. I'm finding that the advertised velocity and energy is only obtainable with light weight pellets. What elevation are you at and what were the weather conditions? The test they did at Airgun Depot got about 770-780fps with the 16gr Poly. You're quite a bit over that at 813fps. I'd say your ASP20 is on steroids.

I am at 412 ft. according to google earth. La Grange,Tx. Temp. was about 63 but windy. So far I am very satisfied except for the rear trigger screw. I talked to a lady at Sig and she told me that it says in the manual to never tighten that screw and that it also says to never clean the barrel. I must have missed that information, but she also said that if I wanted to "fix" the rear screw that it would not change the warranty. For now I am just going to maybe try a little Loctite and then leave it be. My velocities are very good in my opinion also. My D48 and D54 both do very well with the AA 16 but I had the others so -- why not? Have about 100 thru it so far and if it gets better MY MY MY.

I ran a couple dry patches down my barrel. Don't understand the no barrel cleaning philosophy. They all get lead fouled over time. Your higher in elevation than me. What chrony are you using ? Don't worry about the rear trigger screw. The load of securing the stock to the action is on the front trigger guard screw. The rear trigger guard screw is a a wood screw. Not a machine screw. I'd be interested in what your numbers would be with light pellets. 

Check out my latest posts on my review on my ASP20. I am quite pleased with the pellet sizer I built.