• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SIG ASP20 Airgun Review 25 and 50 Yard Groups!

Today’s video is on the SIG ASP20. When SIG first mentioned they were making a break barrel airgun I thought they’d lost their minds.. Not only was it going “backwards” in my opinion, but it was also going to be expensive. This was not the direction of the Airgun Industry as a whole. But then I spent some time with it and this SIG ASP20 has completely changed my opinion. This may be the best break barrel rifle I’ve ever shot.

Man it’s a great time to be an airgunner!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZNXObfB9iM

Click here to go to BadassAirguns.com to learn more about all the products mentioned in this video.

Click here to view our general video content disclaimer

I love mine in .22cal. Have yet to try any longer range accuracy testing but from my 30-33ft tests the gun shoots as accurate as any German springer I have owned. This 5 shot group was at 32ft with the 14.7gr Sig Crux lead pellet. I pulled the last shot to left. My bad! 865fps at muzzle.

1557809396_12941757095cda48f4a38521.94677980_20190504_125833.jpg

Wow! Was that a commercial or a review? What about fit and finish? I like a deep traditional blue. That looks Parkerized or something similar. At least Steve pointed out where he was not getting a flat connection between the breech face and barrel. How was the cocking effort? For the power that it delivers, it must be high. To say that this is the “best ever break barrel” on Sig’s first gun is a little questionable. Why don’t you show negative also so that I know what to truly expect if I decide to buy that product. No product is perfect, and I don’t expect that, but give me an idea of what to expect, good and bad.

" At least Steve pointed out where he was not getting a flat connection between the breech face and barrel "

I've addressed this from Steve's review. Here is the link. Page #2

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/aeac-video-sig-sauer-asp20-177-full-review/page/2/

This is what I said and I have verified it through more evaluation. The fit between the breech seal and receiver is sound.

" It was mentioned in the video regarding the fit between the barrel breech face and the receiver face. Mine looked the same. I conclude that the irregular fit pattern below the receiver air port is a result of the detent plunger rubbing against the receiver face. It just smears the build up material and makes it appear as though the breech seal is not sealing properly below the port. I can assure you no pressure loss is occurring at that point."

The cocking effort. Sweet ! As advertised! I agree that you can't make a sole decision on this review. There are several reviews on the ASP20. So check them out. 

Wow! Was that a commercial or a review? What about fit and finish? I like a deep traditional blue. That looks Parkerized or something similar. At least Steve pointed out where he was not getting a flat connection between the breech face and barrel. How was the cocking effort? For the power that it delivers, it must be high. To say that this is the “best ever break barrel” on Sig’s first gun is a little questionable. Why don’t you show negative also so that I know what to truly expect if I decide to buy that product. No product is perfect, and I don’t expect that, but give me an idea of what to expect, good and bad.

It is a solid gun. What do you have against that? I shot the prototype at the Texas Airgun show last June and was impressed enough to preorder one in .177. It feels good in the hand, worksmanship is a good as any of the German springers. For reference my field target rifle is a Motorhead tuned HW97, my favorite backyard gun is my R7. I owned a TX200 for 2 years and it was a piece of junk. I have shot RWS 34's, 460, and the RWS Mauser "clone". The SIG shoots as smooth as a german springer with a Vortech kit out of the box. It is a magnum, so it does take some cocking effort and the recoil surprises me the first time of any shooting session with it. I get bored shooting 1.5" spinners with it at 45 yards from a seated field target position. The first time I took mine to a field target match I had it for just a couple days. I mounted my Leupold 6.5-20efr on it, zeroed it at 40 yards and checked the holdover for 10 and 50 with Crosman 10.5s because it was what I had on hand. I went to a match without a range card and shot the same percentage I usually shoot with my HW97. That should speak as good as anything about the gun. Yes it is ugly with the black stained wood and parkerized finish, but it is a gun I wouldn't worry about getting caught in the rain with. Actually Texas summers are rough Weihrachs, because you drip sweat on that blueing and it goes to rusting immediately.

It is a solid gun. What do you have against that? I shot the prototype at the Texas Airgun show last June and was impressed enough to preorder one in .177. It feels good in the hand, worksmanship is a good as any of the German springers. For reference my field target rifle is a Motorhead tuned HW97, my favorite backyard gun is my R7. I owned a TX200 for 2 years and it was a piece of junk. I have shot RWS 34's, 460, and the RWS Mauser "clone". The SIG shoots as smooth as a german springer with a Vortech kit out of the box. It is a magnum, so it does take some cocking effort and the recoil surprises me the first time of any shooting session with it. I get bored shooting 1.5" spinners with it at 45 yards from a seated field target position. The first time I took mine to a field target match I had it for just a couple days. I mounted my Leupold 6.5-20efr on it, zeroed it at 40 yards and checked the holdover for 10 and 50 with Crosman 10.5s because it was what I had on hand. I went to a match without a range card and shot the same percentage I usually shoot with my HW97. That should speak as good as anything about the gun. Yes it is ugly with the black stained wood and parkerized finish, but it is a gun I wouldn't worry about getting caught in the rain with. Actually Texas summers are rough Weihrachs, because you drip sweat on that blueing and it goes to rusting immediately.

Well said. For $429 the Sig gun shoots, and looks, better than most airguns in it's price range. Believe me, I've owned many Beeman (HW made)airguns that cost $500 to $600 back in the late 80's through the late 90's. I've owned a Theoben Eliminator that only generated 2 ft/lbs of energy more than my Sig. That rifle was $1K and was a chore to cock at 45 lbs. Sure, the German rifles have nicer metal finish but so what ! They cost a heck of a lot more. I had a Beeman RX that had the most dangerous problem you could with any airgun. Hang fire! Scarry! Pulled the trigger and nothing happened! Sent the gun back to Beeman in Huntington Beach Ca. and they repaired the problem. The gun came back as a RX1. The point being the Sig is well worth the money. 

Hard to make a good living when you bite the hand that feeds you.

This happens to the best of them who start with the best intentions and get caught up with being a spokesperson for the manufactures.

Nothing wrong with being a spokesperson for a manufacturer. That's where us as consumers have to research the product we're interested in, look at all information available, and then make a good informed decision. Steve's review of the Sig is one opinion. Travis at Airgun Depot is another opinion. This thread review is yet another opinion. Watch them all and decide for yourself. I did, and concluded two things. I wouldn't get the Sig in .177cal. And it was the best bang (power, accuracy, quality) for the buck.

I guess if you are looking for a negative, the trigger doesn't adjust as light as an HW or Air Arms. They are about even out of the box, but SIG put their lawyer limit on the lower weight adjustment. I have got used to it, I use the very end of the trigger as the contact point for my finger for best leverage. As long as the rifle is snugged to my shoulder it is a non issue. If you are trying to let it float and completely artillery hold it you will see the poi move on you from the trigger weight.

I guess if you are looking for a negative, the trigger doesn't adjust as light as an HW or Air Arms. They are about even out of the box, but SIG put their lawyer limit on the lower weight adjustment. I have got used to it, I use the very end of the trigger as the contact point for my finger for best leverage. As long as the rifle is snugged to my shoulder it is a non issue. If you are trying to let it float and completely artillery hold it you will see the poi move on you from the trigger weight.

I've finally got my trigger down in the 2lb range. It's not a Rekord trigger but it's not bad once adjusted.