Sig Sauer SIG ASP

SIG's decision to pull the ASP plug was a shock all around, given the amount of RD and other resources that went into the gun. Apparently they decided to return the ASP production floors to PB manufacturing for better profits.

SIG's insistence that no replacement parts for the ASP were to be made available, and all repairs could only be done by SIG, the business venture was against global springer community's wishes, which most certainly didn't help the sales. I wonder if / how SIG deals with repairs these days, with thousands of ASPs sold and the gun defunct for quite some time now?

I bet SIG looked at the sales of their BB pistol replicas and extrapolated those figures into the spring airgun market. Not realizing that high end spring airgun buyers are a much different and smaller subset. The gun was innovative due to its breech lock system and relatively low cocking effort vs power but as stated the lack of parts and ability to work on your own gun made it less attractive than what was already on the market. Can’t always bank on brand name only… For a springer it was kind of fugly too 😜

-Marty

Yeah the ASP being discontinued was a huge disappointment. Initially I couldn't care less because I assumed it was just another gas ram and its fairly low price point didn't help solidify my very wrong opinion of it.

I was lucky enough to pick one up in the classifieds 6 months ago and was shocked at how well made the gun was. Then I shot it and really couldn't believe it. 23ftlbs and it just kept sending pellet after pellet through the same hole. The trigger definitely is not a match trigger but it is by no means a bad trigger.

If I ever hit it big on the lottery I'm buying the design if Sigs selling. I'll probably lose my shirt on the venture but that ASP deserves to be back on the market.

It was a good gun. There wasn't a market for it. I still have the one I bought when it first came out. I just don't have much use for it either.
I think there was an excellent market for it. How many Gamo Magnums sell every year for over $300? Having both, there is absolutely no comparison between the two guns. Gamo gets by because of their name and visibility at most retail chains. Sigs name is even bigger and they had an opportunity that they wasted.

Picked one up a beechwood stocked .22 version last December son has a synthetic stock on his .22 ASP and sold a synthetic stock .177 version to my brother this spring. Nice rifles, just don't shoot it much due too parts/repair concerns. Maybe one day some adventurous soul will take one down and show us what it looks like in the inside.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Picked one up a beechwood stocked .22 version last December son has a synthetic stock on his .22 ASP and sold a synthetic stock .177 version to my brother this spring. Nice rifles, just don't shoot it much due too parts/repair concerns. Maybe one day some adventurous soul will take one down and show us what it looks like in the inside.
I took the stock off mine to take a peak at how it was put together and came the conclusion "if it ain't broke, dont fix it". The trigger units alone looked pretty daunting. It'll definitely be one of those guns you want to have a camera rolling while you take them apart. A note pad may not hurt either.

Who knows though. Maybe these things will be like the Theobens and we'll get 30yrs out of them worry free🤞

Last edited: