• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SHTF : Springer or PCP With Hand Pump? Which would you choose?

SHTF : Springer or PCP and Hand Pump? Which would you choose?

• Springer

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • PCP & Hand Pump

Votes: 22 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I try and keep basic spares for my most used equipment. Still learning when it comes to air guns but I keep a Benjamin Trail under the backseat of my truck, pellets and basic service items for it. A couple of hand pumps for some pcp’s. For shtf I keep it simple and effective, easy to carry and support. A Benjamin Maximus, not sexy but effective.

Rick H.

Reactions: SonOfAGun
Springers for me.

images.jpeg

If you doubt PCPs are more accurate please take a look at the 30 yard challenge spreadsheet. There are quite a few PCPs with 200 scores including a few relatively inexpensive ones. I don't think there are any 200 scores by springers regardless of price. Some springer guys might outshoot me on most days but I've shot a springer only enough to know I cannot shoot one well at all. I would also rather get my exercise in a longer session than have to do it between shots. I think PCPs are a lot more fun to shoot and also tend to be more accurate. I was pretty happy hand pumping my Prod, my first PCP, but I was not happy hand pumping my Avenger, my second. My YH solved that over 2 years ago and is still working great. For me at least, if I was limited to hand pumping I would want something like my Prod or a Notos. Lower power (more like a springer) and with a fairly small air chamber so I don't have to pump for an hour to fill it. For the months were I hand pumped my pump problems were solved by a drop or two of silicone oil.

,,,, learn flint knapping,,, if you're still here
SHTF, is a multi-level possibility,,, how much crap and how big of a fan,,, get real, you will use what ever you have on hand till it runs out or fail

,,,, learn flint knapping,,, if you're still here
SHTF, is a multi-level possibility,,, how much crap and how big of a fan,,, get real, you will use what ever you have on hand till it runs out or fails
I will never run out. Get yourself a mold and recast your lead. All you need is fire -

Reactions: maxtrouble
IMO ... a Springer only has ONE attribute that trumps a PCP :oops: ... That of being fully self contained.
In nearly every other attribute a modern PCP comes out on top.

Many arguments can be made :rolleyes:... But come days end of success/s shooting either, the PCP is more accurate, Is generally quieter, has substantially more power potential & can be adjusted for its output power. So long as one has a miens to produce HPA there servicing generally is nothing more than o-rings.

IMO ... a Springer only has ONE attribute that trumps a PCP :oops: ... That of being fully self contained.
In nearly every other attribute a modern PCP comes out on top.

Many arguments can be made :rolleyes:... But come days end of success/s shooting either, the PCP is more accurate, Is generally quieter, has substantially more power potential & can be adjusted for its output power. So long as one has a miens to produce HPA there servicing generally is nothing more than o-rings.
Agreed! Bigger Bore PCP's can take out ANY and ALL game. A Springer with a well placed head shot does have a chance but there are definitely more limitations for the game you can take.

I'm with Scott - nothing really changes. I already have all likely needed spare parts for my Huben and a backup hand pump. I'll go with the Huben, just as I would in normal times . . . and if it fails in a way I can't fix, then I'll move on to the Sidewinder . . . ;)
Always have backup ..for your backup ;)

Reactions: wolfdog
Just a comment on hand pumping relative to the topic at hand: I am one who moved from hand pumping to compressors and tanks, and I did so to make the hobby more enjoyable - especially when it comes to working on the guns themselves, as pumping from zero does take the fun out of it if you find you need to degas and redo it . . .

That said, in a SHTF situation, hand pumping would not be "something that sucks" but something needed to survive, and for that it would be fine.

I'll admit that for long plinking sessions, if I had to choose between a springer with "one pump one shot" and PCPs with a hand pump that I'd probably pick the springer - but that would not be my choice if a PCP and tank and compressor is available . . . or for SHTF stuff.

Last edited:
A springer is better if you have plenty of close range squirrels and that's your survival plan. (OR we are allowing simultaneous ownership of a PB for larger game/defense in this hypothetical)

Let's say a PCP gets ~50 shots on a fill, generating 4x as much power, more accurate, and rotary magazines with easy follow up shots. The only thing that "sucks" is pumping up the tank. Solution is just keep the tank topped off after taking a few shots. 10 minutes of hand pumping is hardly a chore considering the vast advantages. And if you do run down the tank completely, a 30 minute pumping session is absolutely a reasonable task relative to your survival (and bonus with PCPs... far superior defense/protection application).

Taking good care of the pump and potential maintenance would be a concern to factor in.

By the way, you can run most PCP compressors easily off a solar / battery unit. If you already own one and don't plan on "bugging out", problem already solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonOfAGun