• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Show Us Your Trick Shots

Killzone,
Maybe you can make a video of this trickshot, because I don't have the equipment to make one.
Have you ever tried to light the "STRIKE ANYWHERE" matches with your pellet rifle.
The shot is kinda tricky because you need to just nick the match head in order to light it. Too much and you'll just break off the head.
It's not an easy thing to do....I have only once lighted 2 matches in a row.
Maybe you can give it a try
Mike

Mike - I have tried that and it was crazy hard at 10 yards. You are right - you have to just nick the head to get it to ignite. I didn't count the shots I took to get ONE to light but I would guess it had to be 50 or more tries.

Here's how it got started for me. I ran across a competition were you have a paper target that has 5 match silhouettes on it. The challenge is to hit the head and then the stick. The best you can do it in is 10 shots. So I took it to the next level by making a device to hold match sticks to shoot at. So I set it up and the first time I tried it I did it! I figured no one would believe it so I set out to do it again and document it. The 2nd time it took me around a dozen tries before I was able to do it again.

Here's the set up: HW100, JSB 18.3, at 10 yards:

First the heads:

Then the sticks:

So while attempting it I nicked the head and I could smell the match and that started the challenge to light it - but it was not easy.

That would be a good challenge - to see how many shots it takes to light a match.

Killzone...the balloon video was good but the deck of cards was awesome. A friend of mine set up a deck of cards on edge at 30 feet. Grabbed his Ruger Mk3 and started cutting the cards the same as your video, standing and rapidly. My jaw dropped, I put my rifle in its case and I popped a beer. DONE....My friend is a Montana boy that has been shooting since he was a child and is just a great shot with whatever he grabs. 
The videos are a great reminder of our youth.
Thanks, Jim

Jim - I'm glad I could stir up some fond memories.

Michael - I liked that show as well. I don't know if it still airs but there are a couple others available I like to watch - Hot Shots and 3 Gun Nation.
I really liked your slow motion link - I would have liked the of slow motion capability for the trick shots, especially for the cards. The best I can currently do is 60 fps - but I got the eyes on the Casio Exilim.

Thanks...the path of the pellet was close to what you described. I've actually done some high speed photography of paint balls being shot in a college class. If set up properly, it's really not that messy. We were able to trigger the camera with the report from the bb gun (daisy pumper) and get some really nice pictures from it with a relatively cheap camera. We even done a few water balloons. It's really neat to see how much the balloon deforms before popping and then the ripples and such in the water.