Tuning Show us your settings Impact M3 25cal 700mm

Bigragu "Well, then, with what you just mentioned, that tells me we should leave the gun the way it comes from FX"

For many FX users that is exactly what they do, use the gun exactly as delivered. FX provides a single hole stacking PCP at 35-50 yards. That is even one of their final quality tests before shipping according to their own marketing videos. Ironically, many FX dealers actually make a business of setting air guns up for people to shoot their preferred ammunition because the tedium of the work getting that figured out is not for them, at least not yet. Sharing settings for stock rifles which is all were talking about here, mostly by some who have never shot a PCP in their life. They do however have the desire to own the best available, but have not yet found the joy of the "tuning" aspect because they don't know where to start and it's obviously intimidating working with such a different animal. I wouldn't expect any seasoned air gunner to have much care for something like this, unless like me they are curious for the same reason(s) as I am. What got me into PCPs in the beginning is exactly the "million ways to tune" ability of this platform. I find it way more entertaining than what you can do with powder burners.

There are many newcomers to the platform that are just looking for a little help and the easy tune system should make it less intimidating and get them on a quicker learning curve than anything previously.

I believe the WC MKIII has proven this out with the strait forward tuning capabilities and has/wil continue to make it a great PCP for many new enthusiasts. You have to get the horse successfully to the water hole before you can show them there are better ways to drink and enjoy it. 🙂

I understand where you’re coming from. Maybe you believe it’s like trying someone’s pet load in the firearms world, but it’s not. The first thing you need to understand as an Impact owner is because of how you can micro tune the gun at every 5 bar, if someone’s gauge is 10 bar off from your gun, and trust me it is, you will be way off from what he is getting. There is a process for tuning an Impact. That process applies at every speed you want to get the best accuracy with your projectile. Slugs are the worst. The question newbies should be asking is how do you tune a Impact. Accuracy can be found at many speeds because of the adjustability of the gun. Once you know how to start and conclude the tuning process before moving on to a hopefully better setting, you will understand that other guys data is useless. You don’t need it. You are recording the data that matters from the inaccurate gauges on your gun.

20211202_122433.1638469581.jpg
As shipped from Ken Hicks. Shoots one hole at 20 yds and under .75" at 75 yds. Less than 150 shots so far so it is still breaking in. Cleaned the barrel yesterday and it was really dirty. 15 patches later all clean. Until next time.

/Exsquid Being a newbie at PCP / impact MK 3 I agree with you completely. All us newbies NEED a starting point and not just the factory setting for a certain pellet or slug. In fire burning benchrest competition all who competed had to fill out a form wether the match was a IBS or NBRSA stating there complete setup and tune- powder, powder weight, bullet and weight, primer and brass used. Everyone knew this was just a starting point if they had a similar rig. 

The idea of sharing the information was to generally improve accuracy in the sport of Benchrest competition and up the ante for everyone.

I applaud your effort and please share your findings.

Bigragu "Well, then, with what you just mentioned, that tells me we should leave the gun the way it comes from FX"

For many FX users that is exactly what they do, use the gun exactly as delivered. FX provides a single hole stacking PCP at 35-50 yards. That is even one of their final quality tests before shipping according to their own marketing videos. Ironically, many FX dealers actually make a business of setting air guns up for people to shoot their preferred ammunition because the tedium of the work getting that figured out is not for them, at least not yet. Sharing settings for stock rifles which is all were talking about here, mostly by some who have never shot a PCP in their life. They do however have the desire to own the best available, but have not yet found the joy of the "tuning" aspect because they don't know where to start and it's obviously intimidating working with such a different animal. I wouldn't expect any seasoned air gunner to have much care for something like this, unless like me they are curious for the same reason(s) as I am. What got me into PCPs in the beginning is exactly the "million ways to tune" ability of this platform. I find it way more entertaining than what you can do with powder burners.

There are many newcomers to the platform that are just looking for a little help and the easy tune system should make it less intimidating and get them on a quicker learning curve than anything previously.

I believe the WC MKIII has proven this out with the strait forward tuning capabilities and has/wil continue to make it a great PCP for many new enthusiasts. You have to get the horse successfully to the water hole before you can show them there are better ways to drink and enjoy it. 🙂

exsquid, thanks for doing this, I also love data. Where can we get access to the spreadsheet?

The talk that FX gauges are off from other gauges is irrelevant if people are sharing what their FX gauge reads. You would just consider the FX gauge a form of non-standard measurement. If they are all made in the same factory and have a set +/- tolerance that FX specifies, that's all that matters. Other upgrades will make a difference but exsquid is talking about factory guns.

I am curious which pellets like which FPS and if you can shoot them accurately are different speeds. With the M3 platform it's easy enough to know what barrel, reg pressures, and other setting are to get a starting point. I think FPS is key and that can even very from chronograph to chronograph and how far you set it from the barrel.

With a spreadsheet like this, a guy can just take the FPS and barrel used for each manufacture of pellet/slug and then get there with his own tuning. Like exsquid only time will tell if the setting work for most people. I'm all about sitting down and tuning for a specific ammo but I would prefer to have a starting off points.

Just launched a new, experimental site for tuning recipes for the Impact M3. It's still just a proof of concept, but any constructive criticism or comment is welcome. So head over to http://m3tunes.com/ for a quick look :)

PS! I've already dived into the recipes found in this forum and added those (with credits to source), but feel free to add recipes I've missed. And read the "About ... " and "Getting started" BEFORE sending comments. Thank you.

I have been tracking M3 settings as people have posted them around FB etc. to help others, using Google Sheets. The idea is to help others get some baseline numbers for what is working in other M3 platforms realizing that, yes no two M3's are "exactly" the same but it should get someone close shooting the same with the same setup. Haven't had much of a response from others as of yet I suppose because of the newness of the platform and most are still working out the settings. Also, there have been some comments by some that really don't think it will be much help. Time will tell.

Post your info and I will get it added as soon as I can.

If you want to participate here is a picture of what is on the spreadsheet.

View attachment 152895

Google sheets is an app found in Chrome with a GMAIL account or by using the Sheets App downloaded to your mobile device from the Android Play Store or Apple Store.

If you don't have an account on Google it's easy and free to setup.

If any changes need to be made I am open to ideas to make it better.

Thanks...
I would love to have access to this spreadsheet!

What really throws everything off is variables like:

1) Valve return spring weight. I have the heavy in my Compact .22 and the standard spring in my 700mm. Both guns came like that. Then, you have the super soft that comes with the Slug Power Kit.
2) Hammers. Between Huma's hammers and all the FX variations not only are there hammer weight variation, the hammer may or may not be adding hammer spring preload depending if they have the fat head or not. Then you have the thin head hammers and the user may or may not have added the two washers.