Tuning Show us your settings Impact M3 25cal 700mm

That is because one man’s tune won’t be guaranteed to work on another. FX has already supplied the tools in the form of outside adjustability in the regs, valve control, hammer spring adjustment, etc., and also sent it out to customers already tuned. What each person wants to do with his if he decides to change it should be done thru their own trial and testing. 

It’s like the old concept of telling someone how to do something, like you just did to Mr WWilliam. You were being helpful, I get it, but what does MrWilliam learn from this? Nothing. Whereas, if you would’ve given him a few do’s and dont’s, (like I’m about to) andif he tried his own tests, and sees what knobs do what, he can have that “EUREKA!” moment and feel all good about himself! It’s a fact that people learn best by doing things themselves, with just a slight bit of guidance.

Lastly, Mr Williams doesn’t inquire WHICH pellet or slug. Lots out there, all in different styles and weights. The advice you gave him was only called out for a type of slug, not pellets nor pellet weight. 

In keeping this positive, my advice to Mr Williams, is this-

1. First determine the use of the gun- hunting accuracy, bench rest accuracy, high shot count, medium shot count, distances to be shot, etc., etc

2. Then pick the ammo, based on research as to what bench rest shooters are using and what hunters are using. This will be an investment, no lie, as some ammo just won’t work on your gun.

3. Invest in a chronograph for sure, along with a couple of note pads. Get your air tanks filled.

4. I’m going to assume that your scope is already sighted in perfect. Start the testing procedure. Do your pellets first. See how one turn of one knob affects things. Note down the speeds, and the groups on the target. Do adjustments one at a time, meaning don’t adjust your valve knob and mess with the hammer spring adjustment all at once. Make sure and note down the settings that were set up from the factory, so you can always go back to square one. Note down everything! If you cleaned your barrel in between a shooting session, note that down.

5. Once you have your pellets as accurate as you want, and at the speeds you want, note down all the settings for that, and then it’s time to move onto slugs. Do all the testing for slugs as you did with your pellets. 

Understand, that when shooting slugs, you will have to clean your barrel more frequently. Invest in quality barrel cleaning equipment and products.

Expect all of this to be hours, and expect to invest in ammo that may not work on your gun. No short cuts, no half a$$’n it if you are seeking top notch accuracy, and what ammo shoots the best out of your own gun.

If you you don’t want to go thru all of that, then just shoot it as it was sent from the factory. This is my best advice.

I have been tracking M3 settings as people have posted them around FB etc. to help others, using Google Sheets. The idea is to help others get some baseline numbers for what is working in other M3 platforms realizing that, yes no two M3's are "exactly" the same but it should get someone close shooting the same with the same setup. Haven't had much of a response from others as of yet I suppose because of the newness of the platform and most are still working out the settings. Also, there have been some comments by some that really don't think it will be much help. Time will tell.

Post your info and I will get it added as soon as I can.

If you want to participate here is a picture of what is on the spreadsheet.

Impact M3 Settings.1622656262.JPG

Google sheets is an app found in Chrome with a GMAIL account or by using the Sheets App downloaded to your mobile device from the Android Play Store or Apple Store.

If you don't have an account on Google it's easy and free to setup.

If any changes need to be made I am open to ideas to make it better.

Thanks...

Reactions: albertogta
Here is another reason why a lot of FX owners know why posting their settings is a waste of time. I recently put 3 different gauges on the low pressure side of my Impact. With the original FX gauge I thought I had the reg set at 115b. With a replacement FX gauge it was 125b. With a digital gauge it is 130b. So if I would have posted all my magic settings and guys would have tried them, it would have been a 1 in a million chance that their gauges would screwed up exactly like mine. That is why asking for other guys settings is kind of a newb question. Nobody’s gauges are working the same and with an Impact, a 5b difference can be worlds away from a good tune.

Reactions: mubhaur
Here is another reason why a lot of FX owners know why posting their settings is a waste of time. I recently put 3 different gauges on the low pressure side of my Impact. With the original FX gauge I thought I had the reg set at 115b. With a replacement FX gauge it was 125b. With a digital gauge it is 130b. So if I would have posted all my magic settings and guys would have tried them, it would have been a 1 in a million chance that their gauges would screwed up exactly like mine. That is why asking for other guys settings is kind of a newb question. Nobody’s gauges are working the same and with an Impact, a 5b difference can be worlds away from a good tune.

This. Even moving the wika M3 gauges around shows different readings. Granted they are better than the standard fx gauges. 

Now this is vs my digital with is +/- 1 bar. One reads 10 bar low, the other about 7ish and the third is just about spot on--thats the one I moved to the final reg on the M3 before my other digitals get here/get tested. The FX originals would read on average 10-20 bar off for me. 

It seems to me this sharing settings idea is more marketing hype than anything else. With all the variables, each gun/pellet/slug/regulators/settings is a very general starting point at best. No matter what the marketers say, there is no simple, repeatable, shareable tuning method that translates from one gun to another. Every gun is unique, and you have to do the work to try to get it to shoot the best it can.

I'll take more data over less data any day of the week. Seems I rarely see anyone with a new PCP that isn't asking for pellet/slug favorites for a certain rifle/liner and how fast does their combo like to shoot them. I think everyone gets it that no two setups are exactly the same, but having something to start with is always going to be an advantage and may even uncover an issue for someone if there results are miles away from everyone else's numbers. I am curious to see see how many consistent patterns there are with the posted results and see how different the results really are at the end of the day from similar platform settings.

All the while we are having having fun shooting and setting up our M3 Impacts. Doesn't get much better than that.

I think as the only "true" measurement being the max speed. When I tune my guns, I do like to increase hammer all the way until it doeas not shoot any faster, and then adjust less hammer force until the gun group best. That way it really doeas not matter what the gauge shows. After doing some attempts, like first max speed 860, increase 5 bar -next max 883, increase another 5 bar-next max 908, the velocity jump betwenn each 5 bar increase seems to be roughly the same on the same gun with a particular ammo.

So a more reliable way of sharing with others would probably be to use max speed, and the speed the gun is set at for accuracy, and then the other settings.

Still everyone has a different way of tuning their guns. I have seen some pretty whacked ways of tuning them. With a pellet tune you can get a guy close to where you are at with the max speed, then the speed you backed the HS down to then the final speed you dialed into with your VLA. You could do the same with slugs but they are way more temperamental with what’s hanging on the end of your barrel or even how tight you have things related to your barrel. Your oring spacing or whether or not you’re using a carbon sleeve on the liner would skew all that data and make it useless.

I'll take more data over less data any day of the week. Seems I rarely see anyone with a new PCP that isn't asking for pellet/slug favorites for a certain rifle/liner and how fast does their combo like to shoot them. I think everyone gets it that no two setups are exactly the same, but having something to start with is always going to be an advantage and may even uncover an issue for someone if there results are miles away from everyone else's numbers. I am curious to see see how many consistent patterns there are with the posted results and see how different the results really are at the end of the day from similar platform settings.

All the while we are having having fun shooting and setting up our M3 Impacts. Doesn't get much better than that.

I have a MKll and I have never seen data posted even remotely close to where I’m at with the slug I’m using but my gun is extremely dialed in. Once you know what you’re doing, you don’t need all kinds of data. It’s a simple process even with less complicated airguns to to search for accuracy with a projectile. Very rarely are there shortcuts. You just have to put in the work and the lead.

why all the haters. LOL If this doesn't interest you move along and let those willing to share/compare their numbers see how consistent the manufacturing is of the M3 rifle. Seems ridiculous to ignore the numbered dials and all the work that went into that design without seeing how transferrable they are from one rifle to another. Considering this hasn't been tried before someone might be just be surprised. If it doesn't pan out no harm no foul but jeesh all those trying to rain on the parade is pretty sad. One would think better of those that are into AG technology and love shooting AG's. Sadly this is why people like me typically only lurk around sites like this and keep my findings to myself. Too many politics in everything these days and big AZZ opinions.

Reactions: monstr2
@EXSQUID, if I may put it to you nicely, it would be in your best interest to just school yourself a bit on the guns workings, and just tell everyone in your household “schools in session” and just go they what I posted above, go thru the school of hard knocks to learn what works best for your gun and your gun only. 

If you don’t know already, understand that a high high percentage of the YouTube teachers that shoot out velocities and low extemporaneous spreads, they don’t offer up EVERYTHING done to their gun. It not that their being selfish or trying to one up on you, it’s that they know, from their own experiences, what (example) Ernest’s highly modified impact can do I’ll still be different in Matt Dubbers highly modified gun, full of Ernest’s parts. I just watched an Ernest video last night, as he explained tuning the gun using the valve adjustment knob with a Buna ball in font of the spring. He never once offered how many turns to turn that knob. Instead, he said very clearly- “ you mus shoot through a chronograph as your testing this. Do not go twisting the valve knob without shooting through a chronograph.”

ever since the wildcatt m3 came out, then the maverick, and now the M3, I’ve seen more and more posts, asking others to “share their tunes”. Most of them end up in crickets. The answers were actually given, in replies like mine above, but it seems lately it’s all about the quick answer.

ill end it it’s this- why don’t you think that fx or any manufacturers of guns with user controls, will ever put down in the owners manual a “chart” that shows: for FPS speed of 1234, using lubed and sorted pellet SBJ 50grains, and with a 700mm superior heavy lapped and polished liner with a twist rate of 1:43, turn the valve adjistment knob 3 1/16” turns out, set the hammer spring to blah blah blah, reg pressure to blah blah blah, and power wheel to blah blah blah. Yeah, why is that they don’t offer guidance in the form of a chart like that?

@bigragu agree, except we're talking about totally stock M3s not someone's hotrod that has all the hand tuned extras you mention or their own special sauce. The items listed on the spreadsheet are all stock settings available with the controls,. For me personally it is more of an experiment in manufacturing consistency to see if any of it pans out. "Short cuts" and saving time and money are exactly what drives technology advancements. If similar settings finds a similar fps to serve as a starting point for others wouldn't that mean FX is onto something useful for its customers? It's worked for years for every other industry, and yes firearms, as well.

If you know anything about an Impact then you know what your asking for and the reasons behind it are fruitless. This must be your first Impact. Even your elevation vs mine changes things on our settings. It may be fun to read a bunch of data or fluff but for some of us, we are not total party poopers, we only take the time to write data that may be useful. Trust me, most guys gauges are off far enough that their data is useless. If I would have posted the speeds I was getting when I thought my reg was at 115b, twenty guys would have been like how the hell is he doing that. It’s because my gauges and your gauges are all wrong. If you think I’m a hater then why aren’t there 30 reply’s with their settings? Just get to work, take your time and enjoy. 

"Short cuts" and saving time and money are exactly what drives technology advancements. If similar settings finds a similar fps to serve as a starting point for others wouldn't that mean FX is onto something useful for its customers? It's worked for years for every other industry, and yes firearms, as well.

Well, then, with what you just mentioned, that tells me we should leave the gun the way it comes from FX. If you ever watched the FX tour video or have seen pics of Dubber and Hicks over at FX in Sweden, you’ll see pics of them testing, creating that “shortcut” so when a gun gets delivered to the customer, it’s at 40 ft lbs for a 25, 70 ft lbs for a 30 cal, etc., etc. All ready to go, all tuned from the factory, to put an instant smile on our face. All we do is buy JSB pellets and were good. 

But then there’s the few like myself and a lot others, that want to see what happens when we add this and do that. A fellow AGN member once suggested that if I turn this knob to this, and this to that, I’ll be at around 925-930 shooting the JSB 34 grain heavys for a more accurate gun. My 25 cal impact was currently shooting these pellets at a bit over 1008 at the max setting. Accurate enough, but not stacking pellets on top of each other.

I did exactly as he suggested, and my speeds ended at 965-970. Still 40 FPS faster. So that right there is proof, that what works for one gun isn’t necessarily going to work for mine. I did end up getting it down to that 930 speed, but it took more creativity on my part. My Impact is now light out accurate, even at the higher speeds. But now we’re talking liner modifications, porting, polishing, barrel indexing, spring mods, sorting ammo, etc., etc. way way more than just sharing a particular setting on a gun.

All of these tips and suggestions are out there, you just need to do more research. Listen to VETMX. He tells it like it is. It’s the truth, and if more of the “seasoned vets” piped in, they’d say the same. I’m gonna presume that they’re probably burnt out from replying to threads like these, as they never go anywhere.

Hey, speaking of which, where is the original OP in all of this? He never once piped back in.....