Show us your Krals!

I just bought PA's very last Puncher Breaker with the wood stock. I was a little worried that, because it's the last one they had, that there might be something wrong with it. But 4 mags later it seems to be doing just fine. I need to get a foster adapter for the fill probe, find what pellets / slugs it likes and tune it for the best curve I can. But so far it shows great promise. I was getting 3-5 round single hole groups at 50 yds with Crosman Pirahnas and H&N 13 gr slugs. A few fliers and definitely has a power drop off, but that's to be expected. Excellent "out of the box" performance. Those of you that have PB's in .177, what slugs / pellets does yours like?

IMG_20230601_193806423.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Billinoregon
I just bought PA's very last Puncher Breaker with the wood stock. I was a little worried that, because it's the last one they had, that there might be something wrong with it. But 4 mags later it seems to be doing just fine. I need to get a foster adapter for the fill probe, find what pellets / slugs it likes and tune it for the best curve I can. But so far it shows great promise. I was getting 3-5 round single hole groups at 50 yds with Crosman Pirahnas and H&N 13 gr slugs. A few fliers and definitely has a power drop off, but that's to be expected. Excellent "out of the box" performance. Those of you that have PB's in .177, what slugs / pellets does yours like?

View attachment 361263
I have the NP02 Puncher breaker. The best pellet I have found for that barrel which has needed a lot of work is QYS DOMED in .177. It is now very accurate sometimes. For instance. Peeping our from under that 5 pence piece our smallest coin are 39 pellet holes at 26 yards my max. Thats a genuine flyer at the bottom. Five mins later I could not believe how many flyers I was getting. I really dont get it. I may re barrel it. Anybody know if a Lothar Walther barrel will fit. There is a second hand one coming up for sale. I have reduced the Choke from barely able to pull Patch through to about twice the effort it takes on my other guns. Bit scared to take it further. Still if I am going to change the barrel it really does not matter. Help needed.
2DE2EE73-7F8B-4933-AD75-CB769154AD21.jpeg

I have the NP02 Puncher breaker. The best pellet I have found for that barrel which has needed a lot of work is QYS DOMED in .177. It is now very accurate sometimes. For instance. Peeping our from under that 5 pence piece our smallest coin are 39 pellet holes at 26 yards my max. Thats a genuine flyer at the bottom. Five mins later I could not believe how many flyers I was getting. I really dont get it. I may re barrel it. Anybody know if a Lothar Walther barrel will fit. There is a second hand one coming up for sale. I have reduced the Choke from barely able to pull Patch through to about twice the effort it takes on my other guns. Bit scared to take it further. Still if I am going to change the barrel it really does not matter. Help needed.View attachment 361313
Hi pete
Shoot from single shot tray and see your group then do another with magazine incase mag distorting skirts.
Chronograph your shots aswell to see if fps fluctuates.
Took my np02 too the range today shooting h&n ftt spot on I then put gun down to reload and poi had changed when shot again?
Not sure yet what causing it / could be barrel band when air being refilled
If shooting that well pete I cannot see it being the barrel suddenly going awry.
Regards
Paul

Hi pete
Shoot from single shot tray and see your group then do another with magazine incase mag distorting skirts.
Chronograph your shots aswell to see if fps fluctuates.
Took my np02 too the range today shooting h&n ftt spot on I then put gun down to reload and poi had changed when shot again?
Not sure yet what causing it / could be barrel band when air being refilled
If shooting that well pete I cannot see it being the barrel suddenly going awry.
Regards
Paul
Hi Paul any hints on how to start eliminating potential problems. I only use a one shot loader so this occured whilst using it. I suppose that eliminates the Mags. I wish i could load straight into the breach. The one shot loader is a bit suspect as it will only load QYS being a long pellet. It mangles every short pellet. I have a tray type coming but in the mean time I could try to master the tray that comes with the gun.

Hi Paul any hints on how to start eliminating potential problems. I only use a one shot loader so this occured whilst using it. I suppose that eliminates the Mags. I wish i could load straight into the breach. The one shot loader is a bit suspect as it will only load QYS being a long pellet. It mangles every short pellet. I have a tray type coming but in the mean time I could try to master the tray that comes with the gun.

Have you shot it over a chrony? Checked the crown on the barrel?

Reactions: aroundlocks
Hi Pete
Use the one that came with it
I 3d printed my own flip out job.
Try the original one bud see how you get on .
I dont think it's your barrel
The mags have lots of tension and some do damage skirts.
Check chronograph readings aswell why you're shooting your groups.
My np02 in 22cal shot h&n ftt in a tight group at 30yrds/ then I filled back up reloaded same pellets and shot an inch or so off next group?.
I put single shot loader in and shot slugs" they out shot the h&n .
The np02 loves slugs .
I will get to the bottom of it when I get back to the range.
I shall remove barrel band aswell to see if air tube pressure is causing the problem.
Regards
Paul

I have the NP02 Puncher breaker. The best pellet I have found for that barrel which has needed a lot of work is QYS DOMED in .177. It is now very accurate sometimes. For instance. Peeping our from under that 5 pence piece our smallest coin are 39 pellet holes at 26 yards my max. Thats a genuine flyer at the bottom. Five mins later I could not believe how many flyers I was getting. I really dont get it. I may re barrel it. Anybody know if a Lothar Walther barrel will fit. There is a second hand one coming up for sale. I have reduced the Choke from barely able to pull Patch through to about twice the effort it takes on my other guns. Bit scared to take it further. Still if I am going to change the barrel it really does not matter. Help needed.View attachment 361313
You're chasing your tail on accuracy with messing with the barrel. Krals have very good barrels. What they don't have is insight. They stick the same hammer and spring in all the NP line of guns. It's too much for the 16" np03 barrel, let alone the shorter np01 or np02 barrels.

First: GET A CHRONY BEFORE ANY TUNING!

B: take the hammer sping out and go to a hardware store. Match the outer diameter, but get a thicker wire spring. Shorter as well, or cut down. You need the hammer to stop bouncing and wasting air.

4th: tune the gun to run about 880-920 fps thru your shot string with whatever pellet you want, just keep them in that range. It'll tighten up groups alot.

Lastly: the flyers you are getting are from the velocity being too high and the air is blasting put behind the pellet causing turbulence.

I shot 4 magazines of 13 gr H&N slugs over a chrony this morning. Starting with a 200 bar fill and stopping at about 130 bar, with the transfer port full open and the hammer spring all the way out, I thought it looked pretty good.

But then this evening, after the wind died, I shot another 4 magazines for groups and accuracy to 50 yds. It just would not group worth a darn! I'd zero with one shot, follow with another that was very close but then the next 3 would be 6 inches or further in never never land. I tried with and without the shroud, with and without a different suppressor, no change. I tried hand loading or magazine, no change. I tried slowing it down by turning down the transfer port, and the same thing would happen. (Edit: I also tried the 10.5 grain Crosman pellets, no change.) I'd zero one and maybe get a second shot that was close, then poof off to nowhere.

This is my first .177 caliber air rifle (although I shoot .17hmr a lot) so I'm scratching my head trying to think what might be going wrong. I looked at the crown and I didn't see any obvious issues. Any other ideas @Dr. Kralenstein ?

Kral Puncher Breaker 13gr HnN.png

Last edited:
I shot 4 magazines of 13 gr H&N slugs over a chrony this morning. Starting with a 200 bar fill and stopping at about 130 bar, with the transfer port full open and the hammer spring all the way out, I thought it looked pretty good.

But then this evening, after the wind died, I shot another 4 magazines for groups and accuracy to 50 yds. It just would not group worth a darn! I'd zero with one shot, follow with another that was very close but then the next 3 would be 6 inches or further in never never land. I tried with and without the shroud, with and without a different suppressor, no change. I tried hand loading or magazine, no change. I tried slowing it down by turning down the transfer port, and the same thing would happen. I'd zero one and maybe get a second shot that was close, then poof off to nowhere.

This is my first .177 caliber air rifle (although I shoot .17hmr a lot) so I'm scratching my head trying to think what might be going wrong. I looked at the crown and I didn't see any obvious issues. Any other ideas @Dr. Kralenstein ?

View attachment 361487
Maybe it doesn’t like slugs?
My npo3 loves the 10.5 HN barracuda 4.53 head

@Stretch

Did you refill before the afternoon shooting? The chrony shows it tapers off. The small air tubes tend to get pressure fluctuations due to the low volume. I've had my np03 tubed gun do this before. It'll shoot great for the first 18 shots, then the next 2 change point of impact, even thought they're still going near the peak velocity. Its tuned around 805 with 25.4s for 20 shots, but 19 and 20 will shift a bit down and right, even thought they're going 795ish. Shouldn't be any change of impact, but there is. Also, the next shot will be 730s and then 680s.
That quick drop tells me the valve is burping after the pellet leaves and is causing turbulence behind the skirt and causes a spiral. Try and shoot with the sun beyond you and watch them. I bet they'll start cork screwing on the low volume shots.

Personally, I had amazing luck with my 177 jumbo I built with the np03 16" barrel. Over 200 shots at 14 fpe and it was an absolute laser to 50 yards with crosman 7.9 hollows. Hated any jsb I tried. Did decent with the 10.65, but I didn't turn it up to help stabilize them.

I swapped that gun to a tube, all I did was change the gun from bottle to tube, and the accuracy went to crap. I swear it had to do with the volume vs pressure ratio.

@Stretch

Did you refill before the afternoon shooting?

Yes, filled it to 200 bar and shot it down to 130 bar, just like the morning shoot.

Could it be something as simple as the barrel getting fouled? I haven't cleaned the bore since yesterday and put maybe 200+ rounds through it since. Are these .177 barrels that fussy about fouling? I know my .22 barrels can go hundreds and hundreds of shots and I barely notice any change in accuracy.

Yes, filled it to 200 bar and shot it down to 130 bar, just like the morning shoot.
Copy that. My krals don't like slugs either. Lots of money wasted trying that in 22 and 25. My np01 barreled 25 carbine wont shoot any I've tried, and my np03 barreled 25 jumbo will only shoot nsa 33.6 .250 with okay accuracy. Tack driver with baracuda and 33.95

Copy that. My krals don't like slugs either. Lots of money wasted trying that in 22 and 25. My np01 barreled 25 carbine wont shoot any I've tried, and my np03 barreled 25 jumbo will only shoot nsa 33.6 .250 with okay accuracy. Tack driver with baracuda and 33.95

Did you have any pellets / slugs that couldn't keep at least a 4" group at 50 yds? The only time I've experienced that it was because there was an issue with the barrel, but again, I have zero previous experience with .177.

This is how my Krals currently sit. Both 25 cal. 38 fpe for 20 shots in the black one, Frankie.
The other is Igor, he's doing 52 fpe for 60 shots. I really want to get a coon with Iggy, should be pretty easy with 52 fpe from a baracuda.
I've also seen armadillo are now starting to get in the city limits, only a matter of time before I start looking for those.
20230524_191335.jpg
20230524_191504.jpg

Did you have any pellets / slugs that couldn't keep at least a 4" group at 50 yds? The only time I've experienced that it was because there was an issue with the barrel, but again, I have zero previous experience with .177.
I've VERY anal with my accuracy. If my gun won't shoot a dime at 40 yards with its preferred pellet, and I can't figure out why, it gets cast out with the rest of the lepers that came before them. 4" at 50 is abysmal, im sorry to hear that's what you're getting.

I will allow 1.5 groups at 30 if I'm off hand standing and shooting. Are you bench shooting or off hand?

I test all guns and ammo from a rest at 35 yards. Not locked down, just rested on a front bag or pillow.

I've VERY anal with my accuracy. If my gun won't shoot a dime at 40 yards with its preferred pellet, and I can't figure out why, it gets cast out with the rest of the lepers that came before them. 4" at 50 is abysmal, im sorry to hear that's what you're getting.

I will allow 1.5 groups at 30 if I'm off hand standing and shooting. Are you bench shooting or off hand?

I test all guns and ammo from a rest at 35 yards. Not locked down, just rested on a front bag or pillow.

I'm like you. If I can't get cloverleafs at 50 yds I sell it, which is the main reason why I have owned (and sold) so many air rifles.

I shot from a bench with front bipod and rear squeeze bag and had my scope set to 24x. I -know- it's not me shooting that bad.

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein