• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Show us your Hydro-dipped airguns

I've always liked the look of hydro-dipped airguns. Several years ago (when the FX Verminator was first released) I took a stab at hydro-dipping my own gun.

It turned out ok, but not nearly as nice as some of the professional jobs.

So I ask you for two things:
  1. Show us a picture of your hyrdo-dipped airgun
  2. Tell us where you had it done
    [/LIST=1]

Some of the kits that are available to do this stuff DIY these days are very good. As with all processes, attention to detail is very important, as is care and caution while doing your prep work. Mike Chavka did a couple of pieces a couple of years ago, and I spoke to him about it at length. My take was that if you could find containers to use that limited the amount of free space around the object you were gonna dip, the better off the results would be.

These were not a dip, but something I did the old fashioned way -

"DaveG"Some of the kits that are available to do this stuff DIY these days are very good. As with all processes, attention to detail is very important, as is care and caution while doing your prep work. Mike Chavka did a couple of pieces a couple of years ago, and I spoke to him about it at length. My take was that if you could find containers to use that limited the amount of free space around the object you were gonna dip, the better off the results would be.

These were not a dip, but something I did the old fashioned way -

Well Dave that sure looks awesome (you big tease). I dipped the Verminator myself but it was a PITA. You're correct, part of the challenge is finding the appropriate sized containers to hold the film in place.

Michael, Dave, those are Great! I researched doing the hydrographics for my Bulldog 357. I initially thought you just dipped the whole gun, but found that some disassembly is require. I poured over You Tube videos (some Excellent DIY videos) and other available sites. I found out that as mentioned above, you need the right equipment to get the desired results. The tank, the time, the prep and definitely the patience. I finally decided to go the easy route and use the "Real Tree" tape. After looking at your results I might try it on one of my other rifles and then determine if I'll do the Bulldog.

"manabeknives"I bought a used gun that was hydro-dipped. It was in rather poor shape when I received it, lets face it, it was ugly. Which is why it was so cheap. I spent some time stripping of some of the decals and then spent time reconditioning the stock

Before

After
It looks like the barrel and air bottle were hydro dipped with a carbon fiber pattern that you retained?

manabeknivesI bought a used gun that was hydro-dipped. It was in rather poor shape when I received it, lets face it, it was ugly. Which is why it was so cheap. I spent some time stripping of some of the decals and then spent time reconditioning the stock

Before

After

Thx Mike

I know there are more hydro'd guns out there. Perhaps those people don't belong to AGN... Yet!

Nice job Michael, I would love to hear more about how you did this and how easy/difficult it was to do and if you would do it again or have it done for you. I have tried a few different camo tapes and did not like them, I think dipping is the way to go, I just do not have the time for airbrushing my guns. I would love to try dipping some parts, maybe I could then offer some of my LDC's with a dipped finish on them? Shoot me a PM when you have time bud, all the best, Neil.