Show me your tripod setups

IMG_7117.jpeg
I just attached an inexpensive y-yoke to one of my tripods, it was attached to an older Bogen/Manfotto till I got this inexpensive light carbon fiber tripod. Snipe rats thru my window with this and a Prod. Can get these off amazon, ebay...

For portability.: Artise NS85C/IArtise LB44Head. Bench top Surui AM-223/Innorel N52 head
IMG_9462.jpeg

And for absolute precision Spec-Rest. Sadly, these are not made anymore. And rumor has it that these tripods are used on the top of the White House. These are not exactly light weight, at 35 pounds or so. But when I got this, I took it with me to South Dakota, prairie dog hunting, and lugged it around. it was a pain in the butt, but I could not miss.
IMG_9463.jpeg

Please don’t interpret this as a knock on tripods. I use a Manfrotto regularly in my basement for indoor shooting with a simple yoke, no Arca or pic attachment.
For me they are OK at the range where targets are more or less at fixed heights where I set the tripod height and I’m good to go.

For hunting though I much prefer the Primos Trigger Stik because my prey can be anywhere, from on the ground to almost right overhead and a wide left right as well. The Trigger Stik is so quickly adjusted to most any situation, and sometimes a knee is easily situated to take a shot. I have the short mono, bipod and tripod but use the mono and bipod the most. I also have the tall tripod model for those occasional times I’m not sit hunting, which I do 9 times out of 10. The super fast adjustability is just handy as heck, and they’re fairly light and compact. The latest generation of them has an easily removeable yoke so you can drop on a spotting scope or camera.

Thanks. My application if for pesting at my bird feeder. Same shooting location and same target location. Rats and mice at night, occasionally thinning the squirrel population. 18 yards. I found a tripod mount, I just had to order a pic rail to install on my P35 and I should be in business.

The balance point on my P35 is right at the grip, so I’m trying to decide where to install the pic rail.

Reactions: rcs9250
Can you recommend
a ballhead with Arca attachement, that
▪ is strong enough to hold up a 10lbs rig,
▪ allows me to make shot at steep angles (say 60⁰ up),
and
▪ doesn't cost $150 or more?

My current tripod is a photo tripod for $39, with a Y-yoke or a sandbag laid on it.
I'd like something that holds my whole rig in the air, not just one resting point.

Thanks,

Matthias

PS: Mmm, I probably should ask this in a separate thread.... 🤔

Last edited:
Can you recommend
a ballhead with Arca attachement, that
▪ is strong enough to hold up a 10lbs rig,
▪ allows me to make shot at steep angles (say 60⁰ up),
and
▪ doesn't cost $150 or more?

My current tripod is a photo tripod for $39, with a Y-yoke or a sandbag laid on it.
I'd like something that holds my whole rig in the air, not just one resting point.

Thanks,

Matthias

PS: Mmm, I probably should ask this in a separate thread.... 🤔
Can you attach an Arca clamp to your current tripod? Then a rail to your rifle?
I bought a ball head off Amazon for $100 to attach to a current tripod. It came with an arca clamp.

FatBoy tripod. Extremely stable and fairy priced for the tripod and the head.View attachment 418969

Same here but using Fat boy's leveling head.

I also have a Manfotto 055 tripod with a cheap pistol grip head that came with it piggy backed to a RRS clamp. The Fat Boy products that attach straight to the pic rail are much much steadier.

20231122_103748.jpg

Last edited: