• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Show me your low power setups!

One of my wifes coworks has a problem with small lizards, agama and smaller, pooping on his pool deck. He wants to spend under 200. He was asking about a Gamo Whisper. He's worried about noise.
I'm letting him borrow this 2240xl. It basically stock. It groups Hades in a dime at 20 yards. 8 FPE. It didn’t like Crosman 14.3 domes or AA 16 gr, third pellet I tired was money. It’s strange, most of the stuff I have that group Hades well will group the AA 16 gr a little better.
I just have to move the scope a little forward and align it. The Buck-Rail moderator is a great deal and it’s absolutely silent.

2240xl.jpg

Last edited:
That’s awesome looking
Thanks! Wes at Airgun Archery Fun put it together as a pistol and Froggy's Airguns made the drop block. It's a ton of fun as a carbine and knocks chipmunks for a loop with my 22 grain cast wadcutters.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the grip and shoulder stock are from Buck-Rail.

Last edited:
I don't have a pic handy, but a Beeman R7 aka Weihrauch HW30 would be a good choice. My .177 shoots about 7fpe with a 7.9 gr. pellet. Nothing needed but the gun and pellets. I have a peep sight on mine because I shoot paper and plink with it, but you could put whatever optic on it makes you happy.

These guns are so easy to cock and shoot it keeps me smiling for as long as I want to pull the trigger.
Agree. My little R7 is dead-on accurate with JSB 7.33s. Krale has the HW30 version for about $275 plus shipping. The wood stocks are beautifully done. These are delightful, easy to shoot little rifles that you will probably keep for a lifetime.

Don't be afraid to order from them. They generally get products to your door faster than our US suppliers.

I'm filling my Notos to 4350 psi and using a 2200 regulator with the plenum off eBay installed. With the jsb exact jumbo rs diabolo 13.43 pellets the chrony reads 855 fps with these light pellets. Still extremely accurate shooting hole in hole at 25 yards. Unbelievable! How can a cheap Chinese barrel shoot so well? It's so fun to shoot my other rifles are getting jealous, lol. Have a great weekend!
Hey Dogowsky:

I hope all is well as I write from South Carolina! Am just now getting amped up to perhaps tweak my NOTOS a bit and have noted your post with great interest! I will be adding the Plenum. May I ask what 2200 Regulator you are using and if needed, what additional mods or adaptation are required to use it? Photos such as 8 x 10 Color Glossy's would be awesome if you can share your Mods and Rig!!! :) THANKS..and..Here's to a Wonderful Thanksgiving for You, Family and Friends!!! Best Regards, Stephen McWhorter (suthner)

Everyone talks about the Huben K1 with respect to the higher power side of things, but it can do great things at low power too.

My .22 normally runs around 32 FPE with JTS 18.1 pellets all summer long, but over the winter I dial back on the power wheel and shoot in my basement and run it as low as 6 FPE (400 fps) with those same pellets - and it can go lower too, but I have seen no need as I get can shoot about a tin of 500 on one fill as is. Of course I adjust the scope when I do this, but here is the interesting point: I also do it some in the summer to eliminate chipmunks nesting near the house. I simply have learned the holdover needed for the lower power. 12 clicks on the power wheel (3/4 turn) and it works flawlessly with no "burner" shots needed between rounds. I've even done some testing on groups alternating between shots (fast, slow, fast, slow etc.) and it does great.

While a Huben is expensive, it can fill so many needs really well with just the one gun . . .
I think the semi auto aspect of the Huben makes a lot of sense for a low powered PCP.

If you're only talking about 6 fpe, then a bolt or side lever PCP doesn't really have a big advantage over a spring gun like the HW30. A spring gun at that power level is already virtually effortless to cock and you don't ever really need a quick follow up shot like a mag fed gun provides at 6 foot pounds. You might not have to charge a low powered PCP very often, but charging is still a PITA. With a spring gun it's just grab the gun and some pellets and shoot until you get bored. And hold sensitivity isn't a major issue at 6 foot pounds.

A semi-auto on the other hand is a whole different animal. It's not just a quick follow up shot capability, it's rapidfire without ever having to take your finger off the trigger.