• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Show me your DIY moderators!!!

Well OK, I'll bite.

I have not finished the work. It has not even been shot once. Perhaps tomorrow, weather permitting.

The finished unit will have a side wall of carbon fiber (if I decide the weight savings are worth it). At this time it is PVC water pressure pipe. Strength is not the issue, weight is the issue. This thing weighs about five or maybe six ounces, which can be trimmed some by changing the baffle design.

ID is 38mm

OD is 42.5mm

Functional length inside is 120mm

OAL is 150mm

Internal volume empty is about 12 cu. in.

There are 5 baffles, each 20mm tall inside.

There is an expansion chamber at the barrel end which is about 1.5 cu in.

The baffles are stacked against the muzzle end end cap.

IMG_20220513_1912448612.1652486454.jpg

IMG_20220513_1915012162.1652486475.jpg

There is a 1/2 x 20 UNF nut embedded in the end cap to attach to a rifle. I can print that cap so that the nut is not exposed. This will do for prototyping.

IMG_20220513_191508112.1652486488.jpg

A touch of flat black paint should improve the appearance of the device but I won't need to do that till I've tested it. Who knows how bad it might be clipping?

IMG_20220513_1930300562.1652486506.jpg

Well OK, I'll bite.

I have not finished the work. It has not even been shot once. Perhaps tomorrow, weather permitting.

The finished unit will have a side wall of carbon fiber (if I decide the weight savings are worth it). At this time it is PVC water pressure pipe. Strength is not the issue, weight is the issue. This thing weighs about five or maybe six ounces, which can be trimmed some by changing the baffle design.

ID is 38mm

OD is 42.5mm

Functional length inside is 120mm

OAL is 150mm

Internal volume empty is about 12 cu. in.

There are 5 baffles, each 20mm tall inside.

There is an expansion chamber at the barrel end which is about 1.5 cu in.

The baffles are stacked against the muzzle end end cap.

IMG_20220513_1912448612.1652486454.jpg

IMG_20220513_1915012162.1652486475.jpg

There is a 1/2 x 20 UNF nut embedded in the end cap to attach to a rifle. I can print that cap so that the nut is not exposed. This will do for prototyping.

IMG_20220513_191508112.1652486488.jpg

A touch of flat black paint should improve the appearance of the device but I won't need to do that till I've tested it. Who knows how bad it might be clipping?

IMG_20220513_1930300562.1652486506.jpg

That is way cool! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: OldSpook
Have rules changed? I thought discussing the construction and design of moderators was prohibited, but I see several threads in here and at least one of them was moved by a mod/admin to this new section.

I believe you are confusing this forum with another outdated forum which had all sorts of censorship policies and rules. I could be wrong, I suppose. You could flag the thread and run it past a moderator. ;)

Reactions: Erebos
I have been wondering lately about using old politicians yard signs corrugated plastic ones and cutting baffles from that material / cut 1/4 inch id x 1 inch od washer shape and glue a few together then spaced apart . i suppose you could use regular cardboard as a test . but paper and humidity do not mix so only a test. I made one from cork sheet once but to fragile , it worked for a time .
If the sign material works you could say "BS to silence is golden" ?

I know air gunners are pretty creative. Let's see what you come up with. I have limited mechanical skills, so no mills, lathes or cnc machines. I'd like to see you from the cheapest of the cheap to the ones that cost more than the a.g. itself. I'll post mine up when it is completed.
Cheapest of the cheap? Limited skills?

For barrels up to 0.55" (14mm), you can use 1/2" PVC pipe with alternating #10 finishing washers and split-ring lockwashers (bent flat):
exploded view.jpg

Little ring of PVC glued into the end to capture the washer stack:
unpainted end.jpg

3 grub screws tapped right into the PVC for securing it to the barrel:
grub screws.jpg

Or to improve internal volume and reduce weight, use springs as spacers between the finishing washers:
new stackup.jpg

v2_b.jpg

As crude as it is, it takes out a lot of the bark.

BOM.gif

Yes If I can find a market I would like to start selling them. There is still a bit of testing that needs doing and I think I can improve the appearance a bit as well... What gun do you want to put it on?
My current gun is a Taipan Compact Vet in .25 with a plenum extension. I would need a 30 mm diameter unit. Drop me a PM with a ballpark price and your specs. Thanks.

My current gun is a Taipan Compact Vet in .25 with a plenum extension. I would need a 30 mm diameter unit. Drop me a PM with a ballpark price and your specs. Thanks.
I'm sorry. Kind of you to suggest that idea but I'm not really ready to set price points and I haven't finished researching yet. I am about 2 weeks out from production. The shooters who are testing have not finished their work.

Reactions: DarkWolf