• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Show me your barrel "harmonic" tuners

I bought a big micrometer type of tuner threaded M18-1 for an AEA Challenger 457 barrel. It didn't work out for the most part because of the huge harmonic whip at the shot, so there was no noticable difference in accuracy as it was moved. I've since bought a barrel band for the thing and that has worked out substantially better. (Those bands can also be moved back and forth along the barrel and cylinder to act as a harmonic tuner.). Now, with the combination of the barrel band and barrel harmonic tuner there may be an even greater accuracy improvement, but I have not tested this yet.

Do Thomas rifles use straw barrels or are they like 22LR barrels? I know straw barrels with shrouds do amazing things but it just seems a 22LR style barrel makes sense. Not that solid barrels don’t benefit from harmonic improvements. Often wondered if a regular radiator hose clamp (although ugly) would make a difference on harmonics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bandito
Ah, ha, that’s the conclusion I have came to👍

I have never tried a barrel weight because at the power levels I shoot at I haven’t noticed any accuracy issues that can’t be solved with a different size, weight or brand of pellet but I can definitely see that longer barrels with higher power may well benefit from some form of harmonic damping, a simple weighted bush that can slide along the barrel would be my first choice

• Airgun barrels are typically made from soft mild steel, which requires additional support to maintain alignment and prevent flexing.
  • The barrel band helps keep the barrel stable and aligned with other components.
Bb barrel bands in PCPs help maintain alignment, prevent flexing, and provide stability for the softer steel barrels commonly used in airguns. While the preference for barrel bands may seem counterintuitive to firearm practices, it’s essential for optimizing airgun accuracy.

Reactions: Bandito
This is something I made for my RedWolf, a carbon fiber sleeve that fits tightly around the barrel and buts up against the factory aluminum block for the o-rings that the outer carbon fiber sleeve slides over, this intern fits tightly against the receiver allowing for different tensions as sort of tuner?
I have machined different width spacers for amount of tension I want, plus I can use this with out having to use the outer Carbon fiber sleeve.
IMG_3528.jpeg
IMG_3527.jpeg

I originally designed this to not use the outer sleeve and attach a moderator directly to the barrel in this configuration I really didn’t notice any improvement in accuracy. When I used both inner and outer at the same time it definitely changed the groupings to a more rounded less vertical dispersion group (much prettier!) but actual measurements only slightly better.