Show em - Single stroke/Pump Pneumatics, the more exotic the better!

Walther LP2 and 3
L1009999.jpeg

What’s the fastest shooting single stroke pneumatic made?

I know mechanics and physics are limiting on what you can do with this design just wondering if there is anything out there that has enough fpe to take small game like squirrels.

I have a daisy I got thru the cmp and like the gun just wish it had more power.
I don't know of a single stroke pneumatic with the velocity to reliably take squirrels. My Daisy 753S pushes a 7.4gr wadcutter to around 470fps. All my SSP pistols hover around the 400fps range. Good for 10m paper punching, but not pests. My squirrel gun is a .177 D48 springer.

Perhaps someone else knows of a higher velocity SSP?

Reactions: swampfoxoutdoors
Hello AirNGasman, what an exquisite collection of pumpers you have/had! I hope you don't mind me commenting on this old post. I am writing a book about Sharp (one about Heirinkan will probably follow), and I wondered if you still have the serial numbers of your old Sharp guns? That would be interesting info for the book, as I am trying to find logic in sn's. Especially the 648 Deluxe is one that I have very little info about. Thank you in any case for your attention, and kind regards, Louis (book email address: [email protected])

Ps. My Ace, in .177 caliber:
GPWULlB.jpg

Hi S.A.,

Key words here are "have had". I don't own any SSPs now.

I've never paid any attention to serial numbers, so can be no help in that regard. My airgun thing has always been all about performance; the guns', and mine. But if I can be of any help to you in those regards, feel free to ask (probably best if we do that by PM). I have ongoing records of my velocity testing of hundreds of airguns of all kinds; as well as photos and long-range accuracy testing of many of the best.

Regards,
Ron

RR card copy.jpg

Last edited:
Re: OP's question about abbreviations:

PCP = Pre-Charged Pneumatic
SSP = Single-Stroke Pneumatic
MSP = Multi-Stroke Pneumatic

As AirNGasman noted, the Titan was probably the champion for SSP power. Most SSP match rifles have a geared cocking lever that will do around 6 FPE (550 to 600 FPS) with a relatively easy charging stroke, though. The IZH-46M pistol is rather amazing IMHO, getting 450+ FPS with light ammo and super easy charging.

What killed these off? It seems to me like it'd be all accuracy of a PCP with all the convenience of a springer. (have an IZH 46M I absolutely adore)
View attachment 79954
What exactly is this one? I've never seen an under lever springer pistol before. From the looks of the lever I'll bet it packs a wallop for a springer pistol.

these are springers not SSP's , the spring and piston travel up in the grip , not horizontal along the barrel i have one and think it is easy to shoot but a bit hard to cock .
LP 53 is a springer... the LP 2 and LP3 are ssp's. Very well made but weird valves.
Walther carried on the tradition of weird valves to the LPM. I replaced mine with a standard poppet style and velocity jumped more than 50 fps.
Bob

Reactions: MDriskill
LP 53 is a springer... the LP 2 and LP3 are ssp's. Very well made but weird valves.
Walther carried on the tradition of weird valves to the LPM. I replaced mine with a standard poppet style and velocity jumped more than 50 fps.
Bob
Yup, cute to look at, very well made and accurate, but not nearly as user friendly as the same-timeframe spring piston FWB 65. I'd challenge anyone to cock these more than a few times, even if it doesn't bite your finger as they typically do!

Last edited:
Here are a few.

As AirNGasman noted, the Titan was probably the champion for SSP power. Most SSP match rifles have a geared cocking lever that will do around 6 FPE (550 to 600 FPS) with a relatively easy charging stroke, though. The IZH-46M pistol is rather amazing IMHO, getting 450+ FPS with light ammo and super easy charging.
CBS crack barrel springer? Lol
CBGR " " " " Gas Ram?

• Haha
Reactions: MDriskill
Reactions: Northwoods22
I have gotten really good results from the RWS Basics. I can hardly tell them from the R10s, but not as good of results from the Hobbys. The Crosman flat nose match 7. Gr are also good, but the R10s are the top dog, for me. 👍
I usually shoot R10 and Hobby. Never tried Basics. I'll give 'em a try. I'm adding two tins to my next PA order.

Reactions: .20calguy

Thanks for the help.

Bobby C, do you remember which SSP Ron Jobes(spelling?) had at LD's place that was around 12fpe and was super hard to cock?

Old No. 1, LOL - my very first "real" airgun - and classic MSP - the "tootsie roll" early Benjamin 347 that Santa brought in 1968. I'm pretty much a springer guy these days...but if you can't love an accurate, slender, 5-pound, variable-power, recoilless rifle capable of 700+ FPS, you might have an issue, no? 😄

I shot the bejeezus out this little fellow as a teenager, then rediscovered its elegant efficient design in the mid-1980's. I re-did the wood myself, and had the action rebuilt and re-finished at the Benjamin St. Louis factory - not too many years before Crosman bought them out. So it sorta represents two eras of Benjamins - and still works just fine.

IMG_0515.jpeg

IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0518.jpeg

Last edited: