Shout out to the Air Hunters!

I'm not going to respond to each situation like I've been tempted to since I woke up this morning. I've had better things to do today like shoot pest birds. I made shots today that weren't that much dissimilar to those that have been screen-captured. 

None of us was there with Matt or the Air Hunters. I'm not going to second-guess any of them. I know when it's safe to shoot and I'm sure they know darned well when there is too much risk to take a shot.

If you'd like to discuss safety any further, please take it to it's own thread.

Thinking about this subject. Anyone experiencing the same? Shooting at the range 100 yards seems like nothing. Shooting at pigeons at or beyond 100 yards seems a fur piece . Why?

Live quarry is very different than inanimate objects. Just because you can group at 100 yards doesn’t mean you should shoot live quarry at same. Depends on the individual shooter.

Live quarry is very different than inanimate objects. Just because you can group at 100 yards doesn’t mean you should shoot live quarry at same. Depends on the individual shooter.

There is no guarantee that ANY shot from any shooter, close range or long, will result in a clean or quick death for the bird or critter, especially when shooting air rifles.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be shooting.

There is no guarantee that ANY shot from any shooter, close range or long, will result in a clean or quick death for the bird or critter, especially when shooting air rifles.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't be shooting.

Bob, I ment that it’s up to the individual shooter whether to take or not take any particular shot. Did not mean to offend anyone.

That's a good observation. One that can psych you out if you let it. 

When I first started shooting birds at 100 yds, that was extremely far to me and I didn't have much confidence in making those shots. That was before I ever got on a range and shot for groups at 100yds.

It was only after shooting two different guns for groups at 100, and hitting under 2" on each try, save for the windy days.....did I realize that this was no different - from a marksmanship standpoint - than shooting birds at the same distance.

Once I started looking at them as nothing more than a 2" bullseye target, it became less of a psychological challenge to hit them.

Bob I have done relatively little hunting but I find it entirely different. I can hit a ten inch gong at 500 yards at the range most every time. Hunting? I’ve missed ground hogs inside 150 yards more often then I’d like to admit to my self let alone in public. I think? It’s because no two shots hunting are the same. ( unless you’re pigeon hunting and you got some dumb ones who keep coming back) 😀

i got 200 24 grain slugs (varmint knockers) saving them until weather gets better will try them in my long barreled brocock sniper hp 

We would just like to say that a camera gives a very narrow field of view on what is going on. Distances seem shorter and angels seem distorted. We also know what is behind every roof and corner on the farms we hunt. We worked those farms for years now before we even started our YouTube channel and have a very good relationship with the farmers who absolutely trust our judgment and skill and that is why they allow us to do what we do. We spot each other as well and mostly hunt on Sundays with minimal activity on the farms. We have never hit any livestock or had an incident that would upset the farmer. We have agreements with the farmers as well if that ever happens and our freezers will be full of meat. We also communicate with the farm workers all the time and made good friendships over the years. They know the spots we shoot at all times and will phone or come to us before they need to enter those areas. On weekends there are just one or two on the farm anyway and it is easy to know where they are and to communicate with them. The farmers love to shoot with us from time to time but don't always want to be on camera. O yes, those utility wires are not operational anymore. Open wires in South Africa gets stolen and melted for cash so the only wires left are on private land. Everything is underground these days to prevent cable theft because this is Africa.

When I worked in the utility business we would have transmission outages every so often due to collapsed towers. Come to find that fools with too little sense and too much greed would take aluminum cross-struts from the lower half of the transmission towers to scrap for profit. One too many bolts removed and struts detached and the tower would collapse, usually killing one or more thieves and taking the line out of commission.

Thank you Roelf and Gerhart for the thorough explanation. I really enjoy watchimg your videos and you've inspired me to start trying slugs and video recording shoots. I may even post my own cattle farm shoot with lots of kills.

Copper theft is very common in the U.S., especially in urban areas, not so much in rural areas like where I live. My electric utility company replaces many copper pole ground wires that are stolen by drug addicts and sold to metal recycling yards. We sometimes go back with copper and sometimes with a larger gauge of aluminum wire as the recycle value is way less.