• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Shoulder butt pad adjustment , what do you look for?

Like all the potential stock and sling adjustments, I think it all gets down to aiding a natural point of aim, scope eye relief (if applicable), and comfort, all of which help postpone fatigue. Many position shooters will have their rifle set up quite differently for the different positions. The amount of cant that some position shooters employ requires a butt pad adjustment. My air rifle shooting is mostly either from the bench, or seated using shooting sticks, no traditional position shooting or high sling tension applications, so I seldom change the butt pad from its neutral position. Of greater importance to me is an adjustable comb.

I definitely consider it a plus if my rifle comes with an adjustable stock, but I find there are various workarounds if the gun doesn't have that feature. Adjustability becomes most important for me when I'm shooting from a standing position. Obviously you can't use bags or bipods at that point. However, if the stock is too short, you can wrap your sling with your arm to create tension.

I guess ultimately, I consider stock limitation something to be worked around and part of the fun "challenge" of the shooting experience, (with the exception of a stock being too long).

hmm, good question, mike.

coming from someplace where recoil management is critical in following your shot, the relative lack of recoil has made this less important.

in an ideal situation where you are choosing or building a rifle stock, lop, height and angle would all be adjustable, because it is more easily repeatable if it fits your shoulder pocket when your rifle is at the natural point of aim..

One thing...Cheek weld comfort !

1.) Is your neck folded over too far when looking through your scope/sight, that it's...uncomfortable ?

2.) Is your the eye to scope/sight so tall that, that your cheek doesn't even touch the stock ?

As brought up...the front to rear, cheek/eye position has little...to do with the height of the butt pad !

So...what to look for ? You look for, overall..."comfort" ! You adjust the butt pad up or down so that with your cheek...comfortably on the stock, or "comb", you should be able to , again...comfortably look through your scope/sight.

"NOTE" - that this will somewhat obviously conceded, that your scope height is also at a..."comfortable" height !

So, scope height, vs. eyeball height, vs head/neck comfort = butt pad location.

Mike

Mike,

With the popularity of bullpups these days the importance of an adjustable butt plate has taken on new meaning. These rifles all have a very high comb making an undesirably high scope mount necessary. This is one way to counter that problem. Adjustability is nice on traditional rifles also, not because you will be adjusting it, but because once you find the sweet spot you will leave it there.

I'm a lefty, or left eye dominant.

When I shoulder my Crown, I find that normally the level shows high bubble on the right side on the center, causing me to "push" the rifle over to center the bubble. Is it possible to adjust the butt to aid bringing the rifle up to level bubble? 

Check weld is good , scope comes up in place.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I'm a lefty, or left eye dominant.

When I shoulder my Crown, I find that normally the level shows high bubble on the right side on the center, causing me to "push" the rifle over to center the bubble. Is it possible to adjust the butt to aid bringing the rifle up to level bubble? 

Check weld is good , scope comes up in place.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

It sounds like you are canting the rifle slightly to level the scope. If the butt pad has a rotation feature, then yes, you can rotate it to the desired position. You can also rotate the scope to have it level in your desired shooting position.