• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should rifle's preferred pellet change with more shooting?

Greetings all!

My new hw30s likely has 300-400 pellets through it at this point. It shows that it groups best with 7.87 JSB's. What is the likelihood that this pellet will still shoot best from the rifle after another X amount of shots?

In other words, is 300-400 shots likely broken in the rifle, AND, once a rifle is broken in with whatever amount of shots necessary, do they shoot their preferred pellet best for thousands of shots?

I'm planning on buying a number of tins of its preferred pellet, but don't want to buy too many if the rifle evolves into preferring another.

Many thanks for any and all replies, Flintlock.

PS to add that the little rifle isn't pellet fussy, but, these JSB's group slightly tighter than several others tried. Thanks.

I've found that more than one of my guns start preferring other pellets as they break in. I usually run a gauntlet with my stash, trying them all over the first few thousand shots or so and repeat test certain ones as I go.

Now the other big question is is the gun liking those pellets more, or did you just learn how to hold the gun better as you shot it more? Probably a little of both.

In my experience once I had a rifle shooting pre-breaking shooting a certain pellet that it was amazing with but then after let's say a thousand pellets I tried other different types and brands. And it changed it's preferred pellet nothing really dramatically but noticeable. Noticeable enough for me to say that it is favorite pellet. I'm using Google speech to text so if you see any grammatical errors please do not blame me or my education but blame google, lol.

Reactions: Flintlock