• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should I upgrade my impact? Or sell it, and buy a Maverick Sniper?

This is tough.

I’ve got an MK1 Impact and I don’t know if I should upgrade it, or sell it and buy a Maverick sniper. It’s completely stock...no larger plenum, no dual transfer port, no huma regulator, no STX barrel (has a 600mm ST extendable shroud I think...might be an STX because it shoots 34 grains like an STX), but it does have new gauges. I could probably sell it for a little over $1300. If I did, it’s just an extra $650ish to buy a Maverick. Could I upgrade it within that price limit?

Of course, I’d sell the barrel if I did upgrade it. The barrel alone would cost me like $400 though because I’m looking for a 700mm STX.

Let me know...Regards.

D3C9F080-2EE0-4663-A608-6E435423208A.1611789475.jpeg

I upgraded mine a few times, in the last two years I have had it, and it's still a great gun. 

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/the-true-cost-of-owning-a-pcp/?referrer=1

Well yes, I may have gone a bit overboard. You already have the barrel just a dual port barrel inlet and probe from FX of Huma will help you out quite a bit. Then another plenum, if you feel the need. I got Michal's [email protected] and it is doing great, although there is nothing wrong with FX unit either, just make sure you get the correct kit for your gun model. After that you will want drill your valveseat or get a larger one so you can flow all of that air.

Maybe the question is do you NEED to upgrade? 

Whenever I start thinking about upgrading any piece of equipment I made a list of advantages/disadvantages to determine if the gains are worth the costs.

Is the MK1 deficient in any way? What advantages does $650 gain you?

Sometimes "familiar, tried and true" is better than "new and exciting with unexpected (bad) surprises". 

The flip side is if you have the cash and can justify the purchase then by all means go for it! If the old has lost it's charm then maybe it is time to get something new that sparks you interest. 

Guess that I am not helping eh? Sorry. Good luck with your choices! 

If you decide to sell your gun and go with a Maverick, I hope you are not plagued by the Impact curse like I was. I owned one 4 years ago and even though that Impact was problematic, no matter how many guns I bought and how many of them I really liked, I learned what I need out of an airgun so now I have another Impact. Would I mind having a Maverick? No, but not as my primary. My Impact is, well, I guess my sniper rifle. If I owned a Maverick, it would be my walking around gun so no 700mm. So if your going to have a giant gun with a 700mm + a mod, why not have all the bells and whistles to squeeze all the accuracy out of the gun.

The $650ish buys a whole bunch of Impact. That is one of the shinning spots of FX. You can bring your rifle as far forward as you please, and $$$ can be spent a bit here, and a bit there. By the end of the day, it is a very fancy Impact. That been said, I almost lost my mind when I saw the Maverick introduced! The committee in my head argued till they sold out. Lol Good luck!!

Eamon

Good evening. I don’t know which of the Maverick air guns you’re looking at but the Maverick Sniper is $1699, the other models are a bit cheaper, no sales tax and sometimes free shipping, depending on where you buy. 

If you sold your gun for $1300, the difference to buy the Maverick would only be $100, $300 or $400 depending if you buy the VP $1399, the compact $1599 or the Sniper $1699. Unless I’m missing something here?

My son loves his Maverick and I love my Impact. Both great guns just different platforms. I love the adjustability, accuracy and super high magazine count of the Impact, it also gets quite a few shots per fill. My son’s Maverick has a darn good trigger, also has a great shot count per fill, is still pretty modular with a chassis and other stuff coming from Kraford and Lypt - hopefully next week, it is light, comfortable and easy to shoot. It’s also quiet and very accurate with the Superior liner

It really boils down to what you want to spend and what kind of gun you prefer...Set it and forget it or a tinker, adjust, play with type of gun? Like I said, I love my Impact. However, If it were me, I’d buy the newer model rather than upgrading a MKI. If you might want to sell it down the road and buy a MKIII or something different, I think you’d have an easier time selling the Maverick. Only because there are a zillion Impacts out there and prospective buyers usually look for the newest model. Your Impact is still a quality air gun but purchasers will probably be looking for a newer model Impact...MKII, MKII PP. They come on the market constantly.

Good luck with your decision and have a great evening. Stoti

IMHO, I'd sell the Impact and buy a Maverick Sniper. A few months before the Maverick was released, I wanted to build a .25 caliber slug gun for long range small game and also NRL-22 type events. So I bought a used Impact X .30 caliber that already had the Power Plenum upgrade and shifted it to .25 caliber with a Slug A liner and other power upgrades. It turned out great, very accurate and shoots the 43.5 NSA slugs at 900 FPS, or approx. 80 FPE. However, if the Maverick was offered at the time, I would have just bought a new Maverick since its designed to be a high power gun and a slug power kit is/will be available. My 2 cents...

My Impact MK1 was a great shooter. It had been upgraded to an MK2 PP with other upgrades as well. My issue with my MK1 was the fact it could not use the upgraded 16x10mm regulators of the MK2 3rd generation. Reg. creep was a constant battle for me tuning for slugs. I sold it after I got my Maverick Sniper. Having both in possession to compare was very valuable in helping make my decision. Love my Maverick.

If it were me I'd just go to the Maverick. However that being said how long you wanna wait? I thought there pretty far backordered and you might be able to fix the impact up sooner than waiting on Maverick.

upgrade the impact

OK you both have my attention, I agree. Upgrade your Impact. $650 will get you some nice upgrades that will be very pleasurable indeed. If you want to shoot slugs the Superior or slug-A will be the way to go. You will find a used "Barrel Kit" here on AGN for less than $400, I did. Be patient and you will be rewarded.

I am not positive your original 600mm extended shroud on the MK1 is capable of the STX liner upgrade, it is most likely still an ST. My experience with my MK1 .22 500mm ST w/ extended shroud had a non-upgradable liner. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. The ST barrels are fantastic and accurate barrel, mine was stupid accurate, although, I have heard here that some of the early .25 ST's in general were not as good as the .22, yours could be a gem.

There are innovations and simple evolutionary designs on the Maverick that are wonderful, but frankly, nothing you could not replicate close enough on your current Impact MK1 and have a fantastic shooter that you are very comfortable with. That has value.

The intellectual support here blows me away ✌️ 

Patrick