• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

SHOULD I swap scopes?

Right now I have a Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 on my Benjamin Cayden PCP .22 with DonnyFL Koi. I now have the ALPHA 6 4.5-27X50 30MM going on a Diana RWS 54 .22 with Diana BullseyeZR mount. I have yet to shoot the Diana and only got the Cayden a few weeks ago.

I feel as if I should have the higher magnification scope on the PCP Hayden because I'm under the belief the Cayden will shoot more accurately at long distances. Everything being the same.

Am I wrong?

RWS 54 is not a break barrel and is more than capable out to 100 yards.

Mitch

Yes, it's a fixed barrel springer. To answer accurately one really needs to have an understanding of the 54, which to my knowledge is one of the most accurate springers available, and at long range 50-100. If it was just a run of the mill break barrel I believe the answer is obvious. But because it's the 54 it gives me pause.

Not familiar with the Benjamin Cayden but I would be surprised if it ends up being more accurate than a D54. Maybe sell the Hawk and purchase another Alpha?

After Odoyle's comment that's what I'm now thinking. The Cayden has been very accurate for me so far, but I haven't shot past 35 yards. The AirMax has a lifetime warranty used on the springer, I'm not sure about the Alpha.

The RWS 54 with the right ammo should be more accurate past 100 - 150+ yards.

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, Odoyle. Are you saying the 54 may be more, or at least just as, accurate than my PCP at that range?

The Cayden probably can't plink soda cans as consistently as the 22 RWS 54 at 200 yards like the RWS 54. I think past 100 yards not many PCPs can keep up with the RWS 54.

The RWS 54 with the right ammo should be more accurate past 100 - 150+ yards.

I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, Odoyle. Are you saying the 54 may be more, or at least just as, accurate than my PCP at that range?

The Cayden probably can't plink soda cans as consistently as the 22 RWS 54 at 200 yards like the RWS 54. I think past 100 yards not many PCPs can keep up with the RWS 54.

Wow, Odoyle. That's saying something. I had not even envisioned attempting to shoot that far with the 54.

I was having a hard time with my Diana 45 and 52 wasting scopes until I found the Bullseye not a single scope failure since. With that Bullseye scope mount you should not have to worry about any scope problems on your 54. 

I have a 54 so I know how well they shoot and no doubt they will match many PCP guns in accuracy out to 100 yards. But some will best it as well. Were it me in your situation I would sit down with the guns after I had them shooting well and see which I can hold the best groups with past 50 - 75yards. Then put the higher magnification scope on that gun.