• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should I purchased this Gun?

Hi everyone, I am going to be a new PCP air gun lover!

so what I got is this! I came across a Craigslist post,

for a 2012 Benjamin Marauder .25 ( wood Stock) with anti hammer bounce, and 3 magazine, and a degassing tool. ($400)

I wanted to check with the forum if this is a good deal?

PS. I been watching pcp air gun video everything related and I'm ready for the real deal!

When buying used, you are giving up a lot. You have no warranty or customer service. But you also have a rifle that has been tested. Does this gun come scoped? Because I would say if you are getting this outfit ready to shoot and the seller is honest with you then 400 is a fair price. If you are buying a used gun and then have to spend 150 dollars on a scope and rings, then your price is probably similar to what you would spend for a new one (pyramid air package deals can get you in this ball park with a pump included). At this point the scales are balancing. But if you then have issues with your gun, like it was tuned out of whack or you have a leaking seal, then you are going to be spending more money just to get it to what you would get from factory. There is always a higher risk when buying from a private seller. But the risk is weighted against the potential for saving money and getting a 'deal'. I think it all comes down to your budget. If you are honestly going to be okay if things go wrong (needs repairs, or it has a trashed barrel because someone cleaned it improperly, or it has rust hidden someplace, or the gauge sticks, or or or or or etc...) then go ahead and roll the dice. Most likely it is a good solid gun and the person selling it is asking a fair (if a little high in my own book) price. But if your budget is tight, and you are making sacrifices in other areas in order to invest in this rifle, then I would advise purchasing new from a dealer. The slightly higher price you will pay, or even premium price, will go to a dealer that is focused on making sure you are happy with what you get. You will be protected against defects in manufacturer, you will have support for your equipment, and (most important for me) you will be ensured that your equipment was not abused by someone who was careless or clueless. When you get more into rifles and know your way around a system you will feel much more comfortable working on them and buying used. But if you are new to PCP's it might be good to start with one that is factory example and "standard".
Probably not what you wanted to hear but hope whatever you get you enjoy it and shoot the heck out of it. Have fun!

Thanks for the quick respond! the seller is an older gentlemen, that went through all the trouble of buying shoebox and making this gun the bomb. The gun does not come with the scope, I did how ever got a chance to shoot about 5 rounds through the gun and everything sound and work well. I'm also looking at the hawke scope 4-12x50 like you said $159.

I understand your concern and I am weighing it heavily. New marauder with everything fitted is close to $650. with scope it will be well over $800. That is never going to fly with the Boss!

Sounds like you have a decent relationship with the owner. You brought up the most important factor in your response, and that is the boss. One large dump of money is overwhelming sometimes. If you purchase the gun with cash and later a scope shows up and a pump you are flying under radar. Just so you know, I have the original .25 and have loved it since the day I got it. I have been pining for an Air Arms 510 but the big lump sum is also not going to go over with the boss, even though I probably have put that same amount down in smaller payments in other things over the years to make up for not having the rifle (in my mind). I think that as long as you have good contact with this owner the risk is lower and you have weighed the pro's and con's. Send in some pics after you 'pull the trigger'.

Thank you everyone for your input, I went through all the hoops with testing the gun, I made the purchase! I install the scope and it's shooting like a champ! at 25 yards, it's spot on. I only handed over the cash after shooting it at the range with the owner.

I am very thankful for all the advice's I receive today. Made my decision a bit easier, now for the boss, that is going to take some time!