Should I lube Pellets after washing them

Ya, they turn like gray rough looking also dont seem to shoot well . ( Ones i do anyway ). I just use type f or dextron or power steering fluid..

Lightly damp a rag and " shoe shine" the pellets . But you can use whatever that way if somthing else you may like .

That way the lube goes on light and even on the outside heads and skirts and not inside the skirt .

Sorry i thought i had a cologe picture of my 4 step wash to lube using shoe shine buff method .. if i find it ill edit..
wl4.jpg

luberag.jpg

image23p.jpg

Anyway shiny clean and dry , lube buff , lubed

Last edited:
I noticed I got some JSB 22 in 18g that where really dirty with lead dust and salt size lead particles. I cleaned them with Dawn dish soap and they came out pretty clean. I am wondering now should I lube them ?

If so can you recommend some lube.

I shoot PCPs only.
Pellets from the factory have a coating of lube or wax or some type of material used in the manufacturing process. Once you wash this off, they will oxidize rather quickly. I usually lube them right after drying with a very light spray of Ballistol or a couple of drops of Napier pellet lube per tin. Tumble them around a bit to spread the lube. DO NOT overlube.

Pellets from the factory have a coating of lube or wax or some type of material used in the manufacturing process. Once you wash this off, they will oxidize rather quickly. I usually lube them right after drying with a very light spray of Ballistol or a couple of drops of Napier pellet lube per tin. Tumble them around a bit to spread the lube. DO NOT overlube.
Exactly.. some oxidize pretty quick. Now maybe my hard water has some to do with n that but it dont take long to notice turning gray .. but its normally wash, dry, lube one right behind the other.

Reactions: rsfrid
I noticed I got some JSB 22 in 18g that where really dirty with lead dust and salt size lead particles. I cleaned them with Dawn dish soap and they came out pretty clean. I am wondering now should I lube them ?

If so can you recommend some lube.

I shoot PCPs only.
I bought a ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon, it's small, quarts of alcohol, I ran for 90 seconds, agitated, ran again for 90 seconds, then removed, let them dry, then a microfiber towel moistened with beeswax furniture polish/cleaner.

Reactions: AirShot
I should add that I get a LOT of stuff off of the FX/RMR slugs, I literally use a pointed cotton swab to clean out/break loose the flashing in every end, Ultrasonic clean them, roll them in the microfiber towel and it's amazing how much stuff is still there. When I run the JSB/AA pellets onto my microfiber towel I get a lot of stuff off of them also.

Every shooter has a way of treating them rounds, each one being different but accomplishing the same thing. I personally wash them in "Dawn" soapy water, then heat dry, and spray silicon lubricant on them. Re-heat and spray again. This works for my rigs, can't say it'll work for anyone else's. There's less fouling in my barrels and I get really consistent groups; even at the fps that I run my rigs at. A Old man once said "If it works for you, then RUN with it"

Reactions: MOhunter
I am new to air rifles, I am not sure I understand the reason for washing them in the first place...
Some people don't wash your lube their pellets, but most of us do. I follow a similar step to the comment above yours. Washing them will help remove small lead shavings lead dust and particles that are left over from manufacturing. I wash them in hot water and Dawn dish detergent swishing them around in my hand and then rinsing them in hot water. Then I put a air dryer to them for a minute or so just to dry them off and coat them with a dry lube such as three in one dry lock lube or Houdini dry lube which they sell at walmart. Whatever secret sauce you choose is on you as there are many methods out there. But it's definitely worth washing them to get the excess lead off.

Some people don't wash your lube their pellets, but most of us do. I follow a similar step to the comment above yours. Washing them will help remove small lead shavings lead dust and particles that are left over from manufacturing. I wash them in hot water and Dawn dish detergent swishing them around in my hand and then rinsing them in hot water. Then I put a air dryer to them for a minute or so just to dry them off and coat them with a dry lube such as three in one dry lock lube or Houdini dry lube which they sell at walmart. Whatever secret sauce you choose is on you as there are many methods out there. But it's definitely worth washing them to get the excess lead off.
And it typically takes no more than 5 minutes