• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Should I get Benjamin discovery or 392

I have a crosman 1322 good for shooting birds up to 40 yards got a few starling at 50 but I could get 20 starlings and sparrows in an hour and a half. but for squirrels I only shoot at about 20 yards and headshots. But I want something a bit more powerful but not to heavy like a springer that you have to do an artillery hold to shoot most accurate. What one is more accurate? Which one will last longer? 

First, let me congratulate you on taking game at that distance with the 1322! Is yours modded much? As far as the accuracy of the Discovery vs the 392, it's probably a toss up. The 392s often have paint overspray in the barrel crown which can affect accuracy(I seem to remember reading about folks using carburetor cleaner and a Q-tip to clean it out), triggers can be improved as well. Scope mounting is a bit awkward on the 392, though Greg Lundy at Ballistic Enterprises has designed a very solid scope mount for it (I think RL airguns carries it). You could also mount a peep sight. The 392 has the virtue of being self contained, all you need is pellets and elbow grease. The Discovery will get you more power than the 392, but will require a hand pump or scuba tank and fill adapter which adds to the cost. The trigger can be modded or replaced with a Marauder trigger group which is an excellent trigger. The Discovery can suffer from poi shifts as the breech isn't secured to the airtube all that well, many add a second barrel band to fix this(though it made things worse on mine). As in all things, you make up your own mind, it sounds like the multi-pump is working great for you, but you might want to explore the world of PCPs.
John

Thanks.I was surprised when I shot the starling at 50 yards hit him right in the eye. I put a stock a steel breech and a 4x32 mil dot scope on it. I will try to make up my mind. From what I've read the 392 is easier to repair the seals and pcps are more expensive. I kind of want variable power because I shoot a lot of birds in barns and I don't want to put a hole in the steel. 

Sounds like you answered your own question-I just checked and RL airguns has the Ballistic Enterprises mount in stock. Greg, the designer, says he can use the scope to hold on to while pumping, the mount is that sturdy. I have one on a vintage Sheridan model C with a red dot sight, it's too much fun! Speaking of Sheridans, this site has rebuilt vintage guns for sale-I haven't dealt with him yet, but the guy he bought the business from is very well respected. Prices are maybe a bit high, but they've mostly been resealed.
https://www.bakerairguns.com/shop/airguns/used-airguns/page/4/

I have to say I really like my old Sheridans.
Anyway, good luck and keep us posted!
Happy Holidays,
John

I have the Benjamin Discovery with a pump and for only 12 shots per fill, I am not a fan. Planning on selling it. It is a lot of work to pump it up for only 12 shots. I had a silver streak when I was a kid and wasn't a fan of multi pumping. The effort increases with each pump. Recently I was reading about the Daisy 880 and the Crosman 2100 and there were lots of nice things said about them. I got the 880 about 3 weeks ago at Walmart for around $40 and it is effortless to pump it. I don't mind pumping it at all. It is ultra light and surprisingly good for something that feels like a toy, and I would squirrel hunt with it in a heartbeat. I'm upgrading the scope on it to something with an adjustable objective. The trigger pull on the 880 is hideous but so are a lot of air gun triggers. With 8 pumps using 7.9 gr Crosman Premier Hollow Points I am getting an average of 633fps, extreme spread of 8 fps, and sd of about 3 fps. That is 7fpe on 8 pumps and the mfg rates the pump capacity at 2-10 pumps.

"22junkie"I have the Benjamin Discovery with a pump and for only 12 shots per fill, I am not a fan. Planning on selling it. It is a lot of work to pump it up for only 12 shots. I had a silver streak when I was a kid and wasn't a fan of multi pumping. The effort increases with each pump......
22Junkie, I have a .22 Discovery that is an older model (2010) and came with a different spring than the new ones do now. I bet you are shooting in the 22-24 FPE range but decreasing in fps with each shot.

I added a new hammer spring and a power adjuster (ordered a Crosman Challenger adjuster) and it allows me to "de-tune" to about 20 FPE, which is more than enough for any game I want to shoot with it. I also shoot Field Target with it, staying just under the 20 FPE limit.

I now get 30 good shots and a nice bell curve (chronograph a necessity) 772-800-773 using Air Arms 13.43 Falcons (most accurate in my gun)

Additionally, my best 30 shots come from 1700psi down to 1000psi so a hand pump is not a problem. Much easier than pumping my .25 Marauder when I had it.

To the OP, sorry for the thread HiJack but I thought the info might help your decision.

I changed my mind and wanted to get discovery. But I can't order a discovery in 22 cal due to state laws. But the hardware can order one because they have a firearms license. I know a place that has 177 discoveries. I don't know how much the hardware will sell one for. But would a 392 kill a squirrel better than a177 cal disco? I know it has more fpe. But my 1322 smacks squirrels harder than my 177 phantom but the phantom if you hit them in the lungs they sometimes don't even die or at least I don't find them. I think a 177 just zips right through them without giving off much energy. So think a 392 would kill them better. 

I own a Disco .177 and get about 25 shots on a fill of air. Which is disappointing. I switched to bulk filling it with CO2. Get about 40 shots @700 fps. I really like the gun on CO2 but I live in a warm climate. I have owned multi pump guns and find them useless for me. Too much time between shots. I overhauled and made several test shots on an old 392. I just found it to be an OK gun but really don't quite see why so many people think they are so great. Guess maybe nostalgia.
I think the Disco will be more fitting for you needs.